How to Detect Hidden Surveillance Cameras With Your Smartphone

pipedreams

• Use an app like Fing to scan the Wi-Fi network for unknown devices, or devices that identify themselves as cameras.
  • You can use your cellphone's camera to find concealed cameras by looking for infrared lights. Infrared lights typically appear purple, but they may also appear white or blue.

Manufacturers design cameras disguised as other everyday objects, like smoke detectors, clocks, USB hubs, and even wireless chargers. These can be used for legitimate reasons in your own home—for example, to hide a camera a burglar can't find or to monitor a nanny with that person's consent. But how do you ensure someone isn't targeting you with a hidden camera? With a single app and your phone's camera, you can do a sweep for hidden cameras when you check in.

There are two ways to scan for cameras with your phone. First, if you have access, you can scan the Wi-Fi network for devices that look like cameras. But this will only find cameras connected to the network. Second, you can search for night vision cameras using your phone's camera. If a hidden camera isn't connected to the network and doesn't have night-vision capabilities, neither method will spot it—but these tricks should spot most cameras.

How to Scan for Networked Cameras

Many places you stay give you access to the local network. You can use this to your advantage with an app named Fing. Fing makes both iPhone and Android apps. Better yet, it's free and doesn't have ads. Fing does ask you to sign in for more features, but you won't need to do that for the device and port scanning.

The idea here is to look at all the devices connected to the local network. We recommend disconnecting all your devices except the phone or tablet running Fing so that you'll have fewer things to sort through. Connect your phone or tablet to the network and then open Fing.

On Android, tap on the "Refresh" button at the top-right of the app's screen to get started and agree to give the app location permissions. The iPhone app performs this step automatically.

How to Spot Night Vision Cameras

You won't always have access to the local network to try the above steps. Even when you do, they might not help. A hidden camera could be on a separate network, or too obscure to recognize easily. If you haven't found any cameras yet, you can try looking for infrared lights. Most IP cameras use infrared for night vision. While infrared rays are invisible to the naked eye, you already have a device that can help—your smartphone.

Some smartphones have filters to block out infrared light on their primary camera, but very few of them have filters on the front camera. To determine which camera will work for you, grab an infrared remote like the one you use for your TV. Point it at your smartphone's primary camera and press a button. If you see the light on the screen, then it can detect infrared. If you don't, try again with the front-facing camera.

Once you determine the best camera to use, turn off the lights in the room you want to sweep. Then turn on your smartphone's camera and start looking for any glowing lights. IP cameras don't come in any standard configuration so you might see just one, four, six, or some other combination of lights. They'll typically be purple but sometimes can look white. You won't necessarily need to be near the hidden camera. In the above image, the camera is just a few feet away. But take a look at another picture from the other side of the house:

More details at the link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/411095/how-to-detect-hidden-surveillance-cameras-with-your-phone/?user=cGlwZWRyZWFtc0BtZXBvdGVsY28ubmV0

Don't just look at the center of walls though, point your smartphone at the ceiling, vents, even outlets. When the lights are on, look for anything unusual. Does a room have more than one smoke detector? Is there a USB hub in a place with no other electronics? If you touch a standard mirror and look at your finger from an angle, your reflected finger won't "contact" your actual finger. If you do the same with one-way glass, your reflected finger and real finger will contact (seem to touch), and that could be hiding a camera. Noticing out-of-place things can help you find hidden cameras.

Unfortunately, there's no guaranteed method for finding a hidden camera. But taking these extra steps when you arrive will give you fighting chance, and hopefully some peace of mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:
  • Use an app like Fing to scan the Wi-Fi network for unknown devices, or devices that identify themselves as cameras.
  • You can use your cellphone's camera to find concealed cameras by looking for infrared lights. Infrared lights typically appear purple, but they may also appear white or blue.

Manufacturers design cameras disguised as other everyday objects, like smoke detectors, clocks, USB hubs, and even wireless chargers. These can be used for legitimate reasons in your own home—for example, to hide a camera a burglar can't find or to monitor a nanny with that person's consent. But how do you ensure someone isn't targeting you with a hidden camera? With a single app and your phone's camera, you can do a sweep for hidden cameras when you check in.

There are two ways to scan for cameras with your phone. First, if you have access, you can scan the Wi-Fi network for devices that look like cameras. But this will only find cameras connected to the network. Second, you can search for night vision cameras using your phone's camera. If a hidden camera isn't connected to the network and doesn't have night-vision capabilities, neither method will spot it—but these tricks should spot most cameras.

How to Scan for Networked Cameras

Many places you stay give you access to the local network. You can use this to your advantage with an app named Fing. Fing makes both iPhone and Android apps. Better yet, it's free and doesn't have ads. Fing does ask you to sign in for more features, but you won't need to do that for the device and port scanning.

The idea here is to look at all the devices connected to the local network. We recommend disconnecting all your devices except the phone or tablet running Fing so that you'll have fewer things to sort through. Connect your phone or tablet to the network and then open Fing.

On Android, tap on the "Refresh" button at the top-right of the app's screen to get started and agree to give the app location permissions. The iPhone app performs this step automatically.

How to Spot Night Vision Cameras

You won't always have access to the local network to try the above steps. Even when you do, they might not help. A hidden camera could be on a separate network, or too obscure to recognize easily. If you haven't found any cameras yet, you can try looking for infrared lights. Most IP cameras use infrared for night vision. While infrared rays are invisible to the naked eye, you already have a device that can help—your smartphone.

Some smartphones have filters to block out infrared light on their primary camera, but very few of them have filters on the front camera. To determine which camera will work for you, grab an infrared remote like the one you use for your TV. Point it at your smartphone's primary camera and press a button. If you see the light on the screen, then it can detect infrared. If you don't, try again with the front-facing camera.

Once you determine the best camera to use, turn off the lights in the room you want to sweep. Then turn on your smartphone's camera and start looking for any glowing lights. IP cameras don't come in any standard configuration so you might see just one, four, six, or some other combination of lights. They'll typically be purple but sometimes can look white. You won't necessarily need to be near the hidden camera. In the above image, the camera is just a few feet away. But take a look at another picture from the other side of the house:

More details at the link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/411095/how-to-detect-hidden-surveillance-cameras-with-your-phone/?user=cGlwZWRyZWFtc0BtZXBvdGVsY28ubmV0

Don't just look at the center of walls though, point your smartphone at the ceiling, vents, even outlets. When the lights are on, look for anything unusual. Does a room have more than one smoke detector? Is there a USB hub in a place with no other electronics? If you touch a standard mirror and look at your finger from an angle, your reflected finger won't "contact" your actual finger. If you do the same with one-way glass, your reflected finger and real finger will contact (seem to touch), and that could be hiding a camera. Noticing out-of-place things can help you find hidden cameras.

Unfortunately, there's no guaranteed method for finding a hidden camera. But taking these extra steps when you arrive will give you fighting chance, and hopefully some peace of mind.

I find that Fing is an interesting way to see networks that are not mine.  I often look at restaurants and commercial sales just for the fun of it.  It's great to check your network to see if anything is new or missing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, janice6 said:

I find that Fing is an interesting way to see networks that are not mine.  I often look at restaurants and commercial sales just for the fun of it.  It's great to check your network to see if anything is new or missing.

Same here, I tried out my phone camera to see if it would detect the infrared remote and both the front and back camera showed two little white spots.

• Like 1

Along the same line, charging your smartphone or other devices in public places.

Using a data blocker is a good idea to prevent theft of personal info, they are easy to use and one can make their own if handy with small tools.  Using a data blocker or carry your own small charger to plug into a AC outlet is a good idea.

JSAUX-USB-Data-Blocker-1.jpg.3809c299d8bc5f60149f21a04a031312.jpg

usb-data-blocker-need-works-chip_4d470f76dc99e18ad75087b1b8410ea9.jpg.48c5726300ec766e090bdf7fe9e202ac.jpg

Funnily enough, USB data blockers are also legitimately referred to as ‘USB condoms.’ They are little devices that let you plug into USB charging ports without worrying about juice jacking. They serve as a protection against risks of infecting your smartphone or tablet with malware. They can even prevent criminals from executing or installing malicious code on your device to access your data.

Keep in mind that it can be difficult to tell if a USB power charging station is safe enough for you to plug your devices. Even wired or wireless public Internet connections can bring security risks. Of course, you can use a VPN while browsing. That said, hackers will still be able to access the data on your device if you connect it to a public charging station.

Now, if you use a USB data blocker, you’ll be able to provide adequate protection to your device even when you’re using a USB power charging station in a public place. Of course, it is always best to bring your own power bank so you can avoid using public charging stations.

https://www.auslogics.com/en/articles/what-usb-data-blockers-are-worth-using/

How do you know whether your USB data blocker is working?

• Plug your phone directly into your computer without going through the data blocker. Then verify that you can open your phone as a drive. In Windows, it should show up in Windows Explorer.
  • Unplug your phone, then plug it back into your computer using the data blocker. Look for your phone in Explorer and verify that it’s not there. As long as you can’t see the phone, the data blocker is working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Same here, I tried out my phone camera to see if it would detect the infrared remote and both the front and back camera showed two little white spots.

Ditto, both cameras in mine and the wife's Motorola.

20 hours ago, janice6 said:

I tried it out and was kind of surprised at all I had running at any given time. It took some time to figure all of these out, I was floored.

The alarm system has 6, We never think  about all that. 2 cameras, 2 motion detectors, the base and the control panel. Phones, computers, 2 fire sticks, 2 other cameras running all the time, and 2 on when we are gone. and the vacuum cleaner. Of course, the router, and two wireless phones (land line).

WOW!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Ditto, both cameras in mine and the wife's Motorola.

I tried it out and was kind of surprised at all I had running at any given time. It took some time to figure all of these out, I was floored.

The alarm system has 6, We never think  about all that. 2 cameras, 2 motion detectors, the base and the control panel. Phones, computers, 2 fire sticks, 2 other cameras running all the time, and 2 on when we are gone. and the vacuum cleaner. Of course, the router, and two wireless phones (land line).

WOW!

It was an eyeopener for me the first time.  It took a while to figure out what everything was but it good information that could help solve a problem if something isn't working right.

• Like 1

I strive to spend as little time as possible each day worrying about who is watching me. I just really dont give crap! Let em watch, but they should be warned. Might not be impressed with what is seen. Sometimes the stuff nightmares are made of.

As for detecting anything with my Smart Stupidphone? I prefer to leave that annoying piece of **** at home as often as I can. LIfe is so much better with it left in a drawer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2024 at 12:20 AM, pipedreams said:

Many places you stay give you access to the local network. You can use this to your advantage with an app named Fing.

For some reason Fing doesn't detect everything on my network.  I haven't been able to figure out why...yet.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, minderasr said:

For some reason Fing doesn't detect everything on my network.  I haven't been able to figure out why...yet.

I was just reading that Google has started blocking MAC addresses on some devices so that could be part of the problem.  Some phones, such as Pixels, use random MACs to connect to networks. This is a security feature built into Android. You can disable this feature on your phone if you desire. Probably something running Android 11. Google added to Android the ability to mask MAC address for security reasons.

Just a guess.............

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

I was just reading that Google has started blocking MAC addresses on some devices so that could be part of the problem.  Some phones, such as Pixels, use random MACs to connect to networks. This is a security feature built into Android. You can disable this feature on your phone if you desire. Probably something running Android 11. Google added to Android the ability to mask MAC address for security reasons.

You are right.  Today I was using Fing in Denny's and I got the notice that the MAC addresses were being blocked however they said I might get them by monitoring the IP addresses.

46 minutes ago, janice6 said:

You are right.  Today I was using Fing in Denny's and I got the notice that the MAC addresses were being blocked however they said I might get them by monitoring the IP addresses.

Yes I'm finding it just now on my network, the rightmost digits which identify the specific device are all X's.  They say it is for security reasons but on the other hand it is easy to spoof a MAC address so what's the purpose.  That is how many teenagers get around the parental control at home, at least till the ole man gets wise.  It's well beyond my know how so I'll leave it at that.

Just found this:

image.png.494b648ad49d2dc1dfd3f54504c8e37c.png

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/mac-address-filtering/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, pipedreams said:

I changed the setting to use IP addresses.  Fing locates everything except my smart tv and network switch.  Not sure why though.

• Like 2

I just discovered there big difference between using Fing on my phone and using the desktop version.  You have to create an account to use the desktop version but it is free just like the phone version.  Number one thing I discovered is all the MAC addresses show on the desktop version plus a lot more information than on the handheld device. 

https://www.fing.com/products/fing-desktop

• Like 2