About that deer heart...

Mrs.Cicero

I found a recipe.  I modified it a little (because that's what I do). This is the new fave deer heart recipe...

1 deer heart

1 c dry red wine (a cab will work fine)

2 T balsamic vinegar

1 t salt

5 peppercorns

2 t Dijon mustard

2 shallots, sliced (or an onion would work, too)

1 bay leaf

flour (I used 1/4 c)

2 T butter

Split the heart in half and remove all the vents, ducts, and any silverskin.  Make a marinade will all the ingredients except the flour and butter.  Marinate heart for 4 hours.  Remove from marinade and dredge in flour. Melt butter in hot skillet.  Sear heart on all sides. Reduce heat slightly and cook about 5 minutes. (I like mine hot all the way thru).  Serve with...

1/3 c sour cream mixed with 1 T Dijon mustard and 1 t beef bouillon powder.  And egg noodles on the side, just because I like them.

Serves 2 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ramjet38 said:

Nah, I can't do heart's.  Might be good, but can't do it.

My youngest daughter said that.  I gave her a tiny piece to try.  She took a second one.  Said it tastes fabulous but the texture is weird.  Then she went back to eating butter rabbit curry.  The texture is a little different from steak, but I like it.  It’s liver I can’t do.  Ugh.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

My youngest daughter said that.  I gave her a tiny piece to try.  She took a second one.  Said it tastes fabulous but the texture is weird.  Then she went back to eating butter rabbit curry.  The texture is a little different from steak, but I like it.  It’s liver I can’t do.  Ugh.

I can do liver with no problem.  Can't do brain, or tripe either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ramjet38 said:

I can do liver with no problem.  Can't do brain, or tripe either.

I can’t even look at deer liver.  The rest of ghe family will eat it, but they have to cook it themselves.  I’ve made duck liver pate for the rest of the family, but I can’t eat it myself.  
tripe is just wrong.  Ew.  Tried it once, never again.

haggis is okay, though.  I wouldn’t make it myself but I’ll eat it if someone else puts it in front of me.  I think that has brains in it?  The texture is weird.  

You know what’s really awful?  Eggplant.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I can’t even look at deer liver.  The rest of ghe family will eat it, but they have to cook it themselves.  I’ve made duck liver pate for the rest of the family, but I can’t eat it myself.  
tripe is just wrong.  Ew.  Tried it once, never again.

haggis is okay, though.  I wouldn’t make it myself but I’ll eat it if someone else puts it in front of me.  I think that has brains in it?  The texture is weird.  

You know what’s really awful?  Eggplant.

@FullClipwould love u.  Ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Cecil56 said:

Sounds good, I love hearts! Back when I was still deer hunting with my group, I got all the hearts, nobody else wanted them.

Same with fowl, hearts and gizzard are my favorite part.

I love deep fried breaded chicken gizzards.  The little cafe in “town” has the best.  (It’s “town” because we have a gas station, PO, that cafe, the biker bar…and they just put in a Dollar General.  Oh, and there’s a barber shop, too.  We have made the big time…)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I love deep fried breaded chicken gizzards.  The little cafe in “town” has the best.  (It’s “town” because we have a gas station, PO, that cafe, the biker bar…and they just put in a Dollar General.  Oh, and there’s a barber shop, too.  We have made the big time…)

Now I am hungry for gizzards. Just added them to my grocery list! Local store has frozen packs of them.

Those will probably make my grocery getter gal's eyes roll. 

• Haha 1