I just ran across this. Though it isn't Memorial Day yet, this means a lot.

tous

Dennis Franz was Army, served in Vietnam about the same time as the Marine in the story.

That story reminds me of many people I knew, happy, confident lads that came back as haunted shells of themselves.

:patriot:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

From all accounts, Viet Nam was a **** show. The way our Veterans were greeted when coming home was often ludicrous, and resembling criminal.

I served with a lot of Vietnam Vets, and some were "interesting", all had a story to tell, saying it out loud or not. They would teach you how to stay alive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I fear that we have lost the meanings of Veteran's Day and Memorial Day forever.

Even the Fourth of July has become insignificant.

Once our generation is gone, no one will care to remember those who served their country and not some particular mental aberration.

I won't forget.

Thank you and here's to you lads and lasses.  :cheers:

• Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Seems to be all about mattress sales anymore. 

Some of us are grateful every day, that we never sent a Sailor home in a box. Mattress sale, BBQ, or not.

The thought of my being a part of a picture like this, for lack on my part is pretty unbearable, so I made sure everyone got my best, and gave their best.

2143192954_MemorialDay4.thumb.jpg.27199a08e4c46ce8521e4218256e052b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, LostinTexas said:

Some of us are grateful every day, that we never sent a Sailor home in a box. Mattress sale, BBQ, or not.

The thought of my being a part of a picture like this, for lack on my part is pretty unbearable, so I made sure everyone got my best, and gave their best.

2143192954_MemorialDay4.thumb.jpg.27199a08e4c46ce8521e4218256e052b.jpg

I look at that picture and I can't even imagine the pain and suffering my wife would be going through if that were my grave.  We should never sell an American life cheaply, but every life we lose should be revered and honored.  I pray my family never sees what this picture does. 

• Thanks 3