What caliber is your usual daily carry handgun?

fortyofforty

What caliber is your usual daily carry handgun?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What caliber is your usual daily carry handgun?

• .22LR
    • .25 ACP
    • .32 ACP
    • .380 ACP
    • .38 Special
    • .357 Magnum
    • .357 SIG
    • Super .38
    • 9mm
    • .40 S&W
    • .45 ACP
    • 10 mm
    • Other

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Valmet said:

One of my Glock 19s (currently ccw’ing a Gen4$ loaded with Remington Golden Saber 124-gr+P JHP. 

It is a great choice. The Golden Saber is an outstanding defensive round. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Eric said:

It is a great choice. The Golden Saber is an outstanding defensive round. 

Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s effective, shootable, affordable, and available. 

Nightstand gun is a Gen3 21 with 230-gr Golden Sabers. 

Edited by Valmet

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Couldn’t agree with you more. It’s effective, shootable, affordable, and available. 

Nightstand gun is a Gen3 21 with 230-gr Golden Sabers. 

I’ve done a lot of practice in low light/no light conditions and the Golden Saber had the least amount of muzzle flash of any good defense ammo I tried. The worst by far was Eldorado Starfire. I believe they are owned by PMC. That stuff is aptly named. The muzzle flash was blinding. 

• Like 1

I was unaware of that with the Starfire. I have some .38 Spl and .45ACP Starfire and while I’ve never fired it at night, I’ve seen a handful of YouTube comparison vids where the Starfire fails to expand like other SD bullets. You are correct, Starfire is a PMC brand now. Curiously enough I have some .300 Wby in PMC El Dorado boxes. 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Valmet said:

I was unaware of that with the Starfire. I have some .38 Spl and .45ACP Starfire and while I’ve never fired it at night, I’ve seen a handful of YouTube comparison vids where the Starfire fails to expand like other SD bullets. You are correct, Starfire is a PMC brand now. Curiously enough I have some .300 Wby in PMC El Dorado boxes. 

I like PMC for practice ammo. I’ve fired God knows how many thousands of rounds of it. They can keep their Starfire though. 

• Like 1

And I as well. Plenty of PMC Bronze range stuff in my gun room. I'd have to look back in my edition of "Street Stoppers" to be sure, but IIRC the guy who developed what became Golden Saber and sold it to Remington also developed Starfire. 

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Valmet said:

And I as well. Plenty of PMC Bronze range stuff in my gun room. I'd have to look back in my edition of "Street Stoppers" to be sure, but IIRC the guy who developed what became Golden Saber and sold it to Remington also developed Starfire. 

Tom Burczynski designed the Starfire. I know he designed Remington’s Black Belt bullet. I’m not sure if he designed the Golden Saber, but he did also design the Quik-Shok and Hydra-Shok bullets. I met him a couple of times at the SHOT Show. He was friends with Fernando Cuehlo, from Triton Ammo, who own the rights to & sold the Quik-Shok centerfire ammo. I was friends with Cuehlo as well and used to host Triton’s website.

Triton Ammo has been gone a long time and with it, the centerfire Quik-Shok ammo. I believe CCI still has a license for the .22 Quik-Shok round, at least they were still producing it the last time I checked. I miss the centerfire Quik-Shok though. That was a nasty round. 

• Administrators

This is what the Quik-Shok centerfire ammo brought to the table.

DC7AC96E-96D2-449B-9410-417C840CDB73.jpeg.a4eaa46017b311189bd919283201a07f.jpeg

With the 230gr .45ACP Quik-Shok, the bullet expanded and fragmented reliably once it was in a few inches. Each of those lead petals weighed a little over 60gr. Imagine the 3 of them on diverging paths inside the body. The stretch cavities and permanent wound cavities created by this stuff were impressive.