What caliber is your usual daily carry handgun?

fortyofforty

What caliber is your usual daily carry handgun?  

127 members have voted

1. 1. What caliber is your usual daily carry handgun?

• .22LR
    • .25 ACP
    • .32 ACP
    • .380 ACP
    • .38 Special
    • .357 Magnum
    • .357 SIG
    • Super .38
    • 9mm
    • .40 S&W
    • .45 ACP
    • 10 mm
    • Other

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, fortyofforty said:

I'm a little surprised that .38 SPL is only chosen by one of us.  I suspect it's because among "gun guys" it's not as popular as it is among more casual shooters.  I don't know.

I have several 2 inch barrel and longer 38 Colts, S&W, etc.

I was shooting the 2 inch S&W last week.

I'd put them in the carry list, but as I said earlier, my pocket carry severely limits the size of my carry gun.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I carried my vp9.  Tomorrow might be my Kahr ct9 because it conceals a bit better in church clothes.  Both with the Hornady critical duty 135 grain load.  I haven't been carrying my USP45 as much lately.  I do have a tp45 Kahr on layaway, assuming it tests out good it will join in there somewhere. 

I am thinking of joining the church's security team.  If that happens I might be more inclined to carry the USP or VP9 because of capacity.  But I shoot the CT9 awful well, so it would be hard to replace in that role.  I can't carry every day at work because of my government position.  So it is mostly weekends and evenings for me.

On 3/10/2018 at 8:18 PM, Silentpoet said:

Today I carried my vp9.  Tomorrow might be my Kahr ct9 because it conceals a bit better in church clothes.  Both with the Hornady critical duty 135 grain load.  I haven't been carrying my USP45 as much lately.  I do have a tp45 Kahr on layaway, assuming it tests out good it will join in there somewhere. 

I am thinking of joining the church's security team.  If that happens I might be more inclined to carry the USP or VP9 because of capacity.  But I shoot the CT9 awful well, so it would be hard to replace in that role.  I can't carry every day at work because of my government position.  So it is mostly weekends and evenings for me.

Your post is full of several sad ironies.

• Haha 1

Two, right offhand.  That a church needs a security team.  Very sad reality.  That a government worker is prohibited from carrying a weapon at work, a right guaranteed by the Bill of Rights, and supposedly protected by the government.  Extremely ironic, but another sad reality.  Post Offices are in the same category.  Ridiculous.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

9mm primary with a .380 bug.

My .38's used to be my bug 10+ years ago but now it just sits in the safe. The newer crop of 6-8 shot .380's are smaller, are just as lethal, have more capacity and much faster reloads. I love my 442, 642, & 638 but all they are now is range guns. Except the 638, that sits in my mom's night stand (her choice).

I alternate between different flavors of Glocks.  9 mm in different sizes, and my current favorite G23 in .40 S&W.  The .40 seems to be a good compromise in capacity, and bullet weight / hitting power.  When I feel unrest in the air I go with the G17 for higher capacity.  The G26 is my choice if I am wearing dressier clothing and want something easier to conceal.

D441E6B5-0CEF-4530-A42C-2962BAD98DFE.thumb.jpeg.ddc1ce7bdb6fa6daf28a1181fcf1cc3e.jpeg.40 Smith & Wesson 180 gr. JHP

Primary: HK P30S .40 S&W

Occassional: Glock 23 Gen. 3 & Glock 22 Gen. 4

All carried in Kydex IWB at around 1:45 PM 

My biggest threat is gang violence. I do not carry sub-compact handguns except as a BUG.  The next biggest threat is wildlife. I life on a mountain in a remote area. My work has me frequently traveling to areas where gang violence is prevailent. My office is 1-1/2 hours from my home by design. It’s located in an area infested with gangs. 

Edited by Will Beararms

My daily carry is a 9 mm Gen 3 G26.  I also have a .45 Gen 3 G36 but I have better control of the 9 mm G26, therefore, that is what I carry.  My first pistol was a Colt Government Series 70 that I did not use as a daily carry although I have great control of the .45 in that pistol because of its weight vs the G36 but the Colt is larger and heavier than I would prefer to use as a daily carry.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, Maccabeus said:

Short answer: 9mm

My typical wordy blathering answer: For most of my PD days, I carried .45 exclusively. Mostly my duty gun (4506) but sometimes my BUG (AMT .45 Backup).

After a career change and a return to collecting guns, I continued with .45 with a 4513 TSW and later a Glock 30S. But between those two, I briefly experimented with a KT P-11 9mm.

I then went through a small phase focused on ease of carry and went to .380 (first a glitchy KT P3AT then a BG380 for some time).  Then I upped the caliber to .38+P/.357 in an ultra light j-frame (340PD).

For a few years I alternated between the BG380, 340PD, and the G30S depending on attire and destination, but didn't like the constant change up.

Bought a G26 to be the single compromise pistol, but it was too close in size to the G30S and I often found myself still grabbing the .380 more times than not.

A year ago, after ridiculing it often, I bought a G43 on a whim.  I love it. It is the perfect compromise for my size & circumstances.  It's the Goldilocks gun.  The G30S is my dedicated house gun now and the others all collect dust in the safe.

I don't feel under gunned.  As an LEO rookie, I started with a .357 gun loaded with 6 rounds of .38sp (Dept. Policy).  That's what I went into danger with and I was confident with it, despite its limitations.  Now, in a more defensive mode of life, I have 7 rounds of 147gr HST with 12 more as a reload.  I'm better armed now than then.

5a4d002cf0701_G43GearCraftSoloandETS12.jpg.95444c8c7e86b9b89495f67177915867.jpg

I also bought a G43 kinda on a whim. I like it a lot. It fits nicely in my cargo pocket with a good pocket holster. I do however feel under gunned with it. I would not carry just that into Seattle. That is just a very unsafe city. I will have my G22 with critical defense and a spare mag. I carry that in a belly band. So the G43 will still be in my pocket for quick access. But with roving gangs 9mm or 6 rounds is not enough. And no 9mm is not just as good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Duramaxsky said:

I also bought a G43 kinda on a whim. I like it a lot. It fits nicely in my cargo pocket with a good pocket holster. I do however feel under gunned with it. I would not carry just that into Seattle. That is just a very unsafe city. I will have my G22 with critical defense and a spare mag. I carry that in a belly band. So the G43 will still be in my pocket for quick access. But with roving gangs 9mm or 6 rounds is not enough. And no 9mm is not just as good.

Same here.  Gangs murder for sport in the city where I office and I carry with one in the pipe. 

I want to make clear I do everything I can to avoid conflict. I stay out of unsafe areas as much as I can. I do not ever want to need a gun. But I will protect myself and mine. I must go to Seattle once in a while. I don't like to. If the police were allowed to do their jobs and homeless were not encouraged it would not be the unsafe place it is. But it is run by freaks. Most of the time the G43 is plenty. As I am not in places where it is unsafe. I can't wait to retire and move away from this state. To somewhere I don't need to carry most of the time. I love guns. I love my range time. But I don't like having to carry one.

Edited by Duramaxsky