Larry Storch, zany Cpl. Agarn on TV's 'F Troop,' dies at 99

pipedreams

image.png.c2f833b0eeef932e7808e19930ba65b6.png

"Storch's credits included “Funny Valentine,” “Sweet 16,” “Sex and the Single Girl,” “S.O.B.,” “Airport,” “Treasure Island” and “Oliver Twist.” On TV, he guest-starred on such shows as “Married... With Children,” “Archie Bunker’s Place,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Fantasy Island,” CHiPS,” “The Love Boat,” “Get Smart,” “Love American Style,” “Gilligan’s Island” and “Car 54 Where Are You?”

His first big break came on TV in the early 1950s with “The Cavalcade of Stars,” with Jackie Gleason. That led to “The Larry Storch Show,” a 1953 summer series. Regular movie and TV work followed.

Storch was married to Norma Greve from 1961 until her death in 2003."

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/larry-storch-zany-cpl-agarn-tvs-troop-dies-86471606

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, pipedreams said:

image.png.c2f833b0eeef932e7808e19930ba65b6.png

"Storch's credits included “Funny Valentine,” “Sweet 16,” “Sex and the Single Girl,” “S.O.B.,” “Airport,” “Treasure Island” and “Oliver Twist.” On TV, he guest-starred on such shows as “Married... With Children,” “Archie Bunker’s Place,” “Trapper John, M.D.,” “Fantasy Island,” CHiPS,” “The Love Boat,” “Get Smart,” “Love American Style,” “Gilligan’s Island” and “Car 54 Where Are You?”

His first big break came on TV in the early 1950s with “The Cavalcade of Stars,” with Jackie Gleason. That led to “The Larry Storch Show,” a 1953 summer series. Regular movie and TV work followed.

Storch was married to Norma Greve from 1961 until her death in 2003."

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/larry-storch-zany-cpl-agarn-tvs-troop-dies-86471606

During World War II, Larry Storch served in the United States Navy where he was shipmates with Tony Curtis on the submarine tender USS Proteus.

• Like 2

Judy, Judy, Judy.

Inadvertently set in motion the Cary Grant line, "Judy, Judy, Judy . . . " during one of his nightclub acts.  Legend has it that Storch was in the middle of a Grant impersonation when Judy Garland walked in. Apparently, this is how he addressed the star. Even though the line was never said in any of Grant's movies, Storch's impression inexplicably stuck and was often used by other impressionists.

I'll never forget what Edward Everett Horton said to me: "Promise me, Larry, you will never grow old". I've tried my best to use that advice.

Sometimes, I walk out on stage, and you can hear from the balcony, "Hey, Agarn!" It still tickles me after 40 years. They don't make them like F Troop (1965) anymore!

The most money I ever made was on a McDonald's hamburger commercial.

[about the running gag on F Troop (1965), in which Cpl. Agarn's cousins from various parts of the world kept showing up] If you tell a joke, if you can do it in dialect, you're way ahead of the game. I had cousins who came from Moscow, Mexico, Montreal.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0832415/bio#quotes

• Like 1