THIS is not good...

Swampfox762

Only for those that used their conceal carry license to buy a gun. That is only legal in a few states, not in Florida. And while I'm no fan of excessive regulations, it makes sense that the ATF checks those gun purchases.

In many states you have to renew your conceal carry license every 5 years. Somebody could get a fresh license, become a violent felon a day later, and still buy firearms for well over 4 years on his license while circumventing the FBI background check.

While it is easy to say that EVERYBODY should have a right to bear arms, even those that got convicted of felonies, we would be in a worse situation if felons could run around legally with firearms. We would see MUCH more crime IMO.

42 minutes ago, crockett said:

Only for those that used their conceal carry license to buy a gun. That is only legal in a few states, not in Florida. And while I'm no fan of excessive regulations, it makes sense that the ATF checks those gun purchases.

In many states you have to renew your conceal carry license every 5 years. Somebody could get a fresh license, become a violent felon a day later, and still buy firearms for well over 4 years on his license while circumventing the FBI background check.

While it is easy to say that EVERYBODY should have a right to bear arms, even those that got convicted of felonies, we would be in a worse situation if felons could run around legally with firearms. We would see MUCH more crime IMO.

I can't say for everywhere, but here(Texas), if charged, the chances of your HL being suspended are very good. Once convicted, it is lost. Violent felons usually are in jail for the four years they would still have a license.

Family violence and a few other things considered misdemeanors in many places, or not, can cause the loss of a HL here. Even a conviction of Disorderly Conduct, a Class C (traffic ticket) misdemeanor will get you denied.

More bureaucratic BS. This administration is going to push and push, then act surprised and hurt when push back happens

47 minutes ago, crockett said:

Innerstin. Is there no mechanism to revoke a CCW if the holder is convicted of a felony? And is there no mechanism for the dealer to check if the CCW is valid/revoked?

IIRC, in GA we just give the dealer a sixpack and call it all OK. And if there's a beer or two missing 'cause you got thirsty on the drive over that's understood.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I can't say for everywhere, but here(Texas), if charged, the chances of your HL being suspended are very good. Once convicted, it is lost. Violent felons usually are in jail for the four years they would still have a license.

Family violence and a few other things considered misdemeanors in many places, or not, can cause the loss of a HL here. Even a conviction of Disorderly Conduct, a Class C (traffic ticket) misdemeanor will get you denied.

More bureaucratic BS. This administration is going to push and push, then act surprised and hurt when push back happens

I don't think that gun dealers do a separate online check to see if a CC license was revoked. You show the card, you get the gun. I'm not aware of any system that allows gun dealers to log into the system of Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Are you required to turn in your plastic driver license when it gets revoked? And eve if that's the case, a felon (or anybody being prohibited by law)  can easily claim that he or she lost the card, but still use it.

14 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Innerstin. Is there no mechanism to revoke a CCW if the holder is convicted of a felony? And is there no mechanism for the dealer to check if the CCW is valid/revoked?

IIRC, in GA we just give the dealer a sixpack and call it all OK. And if there's a beer or two missing 'cause you got thirsty on the drive over that's understood.

See my last post.

I don't think any of my local dealers will do ****, let alone for a sixpack (or anything). Only takes one time being caught and they will lose their license, business, income and face jail time. One dealer told me that he gets regular visits from the ATF and they check the paperwork and all.

17 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

There is in my state...and the statistics are published every year.   Most violent felons don't have a permit.   Most of the people who lose them to felonies in my state are non-violent felons.

Get arrested and you can have your license suspended until the matter is cleared one way or the other.  Depending on the crime you might be asked to store your firearms some place other than your home. Usually a very bad domestic situation

17 minutes ago, crockett said:

I don't think that gun dealers do a separate online check to see if a CC license was revoked. You show the card, you get the gun. I'm not aware of any system that allows gun dealers to log into the system of Florida's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Are you required to turn in your plastic driver license when it gets revoked? And eve if that's the case, a felon (or anybody being prohibited by law)  can easily claim that he or she lost the card, but still use it.

You're right. The world isn't a perfect place, and never will be. I prefer a dangerous liberty over the perception of a safe tyrant.

Yes, it takes a phone call, or that is what I've seen, it may be electronic now.

You also have to surrender your card to local authorities, SO here. IIRC No you can't buy here using the HL if you don't have the physical card. You have to go through the normal checks and it has a lag as well, probably wider than losing a HL.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, crockett said:

Yeah, now that you mention it, the last time I bought from a licensee all that was required was a peek at the CCW, and it wasn't checked.