Dad's John Deere B

DrB

Going to hopefully get my dad's B running today.  Had to the carb rebuilt and got a text that it is done.  This is the first tractor I learned to drive as a boy on the farm.  My dad bought it new. 

Dad let it sit for several years before he passed.  I had to let it sit for almost a year as my hip was bad and I could not even think of getting up on it.  A hip replacement and 9 months later,  I'm now working on it.  The gas tank was dry so I'm guessing dad had drained that but left the sediment bowl and carb bowl with gas.  Both were filled with thickened brown bad gas.  Drained them both and filled with fresh gas but the cylinders remained dry when I tried to start.    

Pulled the load and idle needles and flushed out with carb cleaner.  Was greeted in the face with more spoiled brown gas when I sprayed the cleaner in.  Still no gas to cylinders so I pulled the carb and took it up to to a man up the road a ways who has a small business working on these old tractors.  Was told that the small passage ways would probably be plugged, common problem.  Left it this Monday and Friday I got the text that it was done.

We shall see.  I replaced the plugs and burnished the points in the magneto and have spark to the plugs.  Will pop and try to run when I spray ether in the air intake. Wish me luck.  Dave..

JD_B.jpg

B_Manual.jpg

• Like 8

22 hours ago, DAKA said:

Looks in nice shape for being that old, I assume it has been "restored"?

Dad started on it but did not get finished.  I got it started yesterday.  It ran fine but when I shut it down the carb started keaking gas out of the throttle shaft.  Stuck bowl in the carb perhaps?  Every time I tried to start it it would just flood out.  I will go talk to the man who worked on the carrb next week.  Meanwhile I pulled the plugs, shut off the gas and opened the drain plug on the carb bowl to dry things out.  I'll see what I have today.

The generator is missing.  Don't know what dad did with that.  I'll convert it over to 12V alternator.  Work in progress...

I have his old Ford 4000 gas tractor also.  Got that one running after sitting for several years.  It has electrical problems so I have to jump the starter solenoid with a screwdriver to start it.  It has Lucas (The Prince of Darkness}  electrical system , electrical problems are to be expected.  And yes...the lights do not work....

LucasB.jpg

LucasA.jpg

Edited by DrB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

About auto fuses....

DARWIN AWARD winner...used a 22 bullet to replace a fuse in his truck, it went off and hit the driver in the "jewels", he crashed...not badly hurt but his "equipment repair" wasn't 100 successful 

• Haha 1

Update on the B.  I got a text message from the man who rebuilt the carb wanting to know how the tractor was running for me.  I replied telling of the flooding problem.  He wanted to know if I was going to be around today as he wanted to come and take the carb bowl float assembly off and take it back to his shop.  He came disassembled what he needed and about 2 hours later he was back putting it back together.  Tractor started fine and no more running gas out of the carb. All seems fine now.  He said there was a little debris in the bowl float assembly.  I had installed the add on filter he gave me in the top of the sediment bowl.  It's a NAPA part number and snaps up inside the top of the sediment bowl.

All of this work done on a Sunday/Holiday weekend.  That is a man who stands behind his work.  I'm hoping that was all the problem was.  Time will tell. 

As for the Ford tractor..  I traced the wire from the starter solenoid back to the key switch.  I had continuity from end to end and the solenoid is good so it's looking like an ignition switch problem at this point.  Ford no longer lists this switch as available.  In the meantime there is a knockout in the dash for a cigarette lighter so think I will install a push button switch there and run a couple of wires to the solenoid and make it a push button start for now.

• Like 1