Connie

Eric

• Administrators

I lived in Tucson, AZ when I was in eighth grade. We used to pass by Tucson Intl airport every day, on the way to and from school. There was an old Constellation parked on the tarmac by the hangers, on the north end of the airport. It sat there for decades. I used to stare at it every day. My brother, best friend and I sneaked onto the airport grounds once and I was able to walk right up to it.

A couple of decades later, a group from Australia came over and on an absolute shoestring budget, restored the aircraft far enough to get it airworthy and fly it back to Australia. The restoration was finished there. I believe Qantas Airlines owns it and it flies all over Australia, attending air shows. Her name is Connie.

There was a great documentary made about the project, but I can’t find it any more. Anyway, it is cool seeing this old abandoned piece of aerial history from my childhood resurrected and back in the sky, where she belongs. I’ve stood under that bird and touched it. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, tous said:

Just my opinion, but still the most beautiful civilian aircraft ever made.

You just have to love the sound of four radial engines.  :dancingteddy:

I was fortunate enough to take a ride in a B17. It was awesome. I also regularly ride in Bush Planes powered by radial engines, although I prefer the increased performance of the Turbine models.

• Like 1

We have this on display at the Combat Air Museum in Topeka,KS  

The US Air Force RC-121 and EC-121 series of airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft were modifications of the Lockheed models 1049A and 1049B Super Constellation passenger airliner. US Navy versions were the WV-2. The USAF aircraft entered service in 1953 with the Air Defense Command. Their primary mission was to fly patrols along the U.S. coasts as a part of the Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line. Missions of 10 to 12 hours were common. A total of 72 RC-121Ds were built between 1951 and 1955. They were re-designated EC-121Ds in 1962.

lockheedec121_large.jpg

• Like 3

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, G21H30 said:

We have this on display at the Combat Air Museum in Topeka,KS  

The US Air Force RC-121 and EC-121 series of airborne early warning (AEW) aircraft were modifications of the Lockheed models 1049A and 1049B Super Constellation passenger airliner. US Navy versions were the WV-2. The USAF aircraft entered service in 1953 with the Air Defense Command. Their primary mission was to fly patrols along the U.S. coasts as a part of the Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line. Missions of 10 to 12 hours were common. A total of 72 RC-121Ds were built between 1951 and 1955. They were re-designated EC-121Ds in 1962.

lockheedec121_large.jpg

That is very cool. There is a similar one on display at Pima Air Museum, but it also has a strange looking dorsal fairing on it as well. That girl’s belly very nearly drags the ground.

IMG_0225.JPG

IMG_0234.JPG

IMG_0227.JPG

• Like 1