Black Cat

Ricordo

I first saw him in the walkway to my house, near the entrance door, when he was a kitten many years ago.  I provided him with a plate of milk when he meowed at me. And that was it, he decided to stay and sleepover by one of the windows in front of my house. After that plate of milk, I never fed him again.

I would see him sparingly every once in a blue moon and he always looked healthy and well-nourished. He considered my house a safe, secure place to sleepover. He wasn't the best of conversationalists, we'd just   say Hi to each other and pretty much leave it at that. Hence, the name/moniker Black Cat. To be fair, I don't recall ever telling him my name. I guess he called me the-tall-slanky-guy-who-is-not-the-best-of-conversationalists.

I haven't seen him in a while, and I'd been seeing him, on and off,  for about 15 years.  Either he died or was replaced because last week I saw a white cat.   For all I know, black cat could have turned white-grayish(related to age) but I doubt it, it's not probable.

So now I have a new guest that sleeps by one of the windows in front of my house. Neither a great conversationalist, for all I know they might be related. 

I call him White Cat. He's OK.

• Like 6

In some cultures, black cats are harbingers of good fortune.

I'm more of a dog person, but Black Cat was more attuned to my personality. A hi! here, a hi! there and back to whatever we were doing. One very nice thing about him is he left the birds in my vicinity undisturbed. I guess he knew.

White Cat seems to know that as well. The Blue Jays, Cardinals, Mourning Doves, and assorted finches dwell and eat in peace. We all seem to get along just fine.

You are overdoing it by my standards. I only wave at a few neighbors while telling the damn mocking bird in my tree to shut the **** up.

No "Hi!", no small talk, no BBQ invitations, no tool borrowing and disappearing, no one dares to ask any questions.

100% peace, zero drama and complete freedom.

I should get a cat. For that damn bird.

• Haha 2

A neighbor has a black cat that roamed the neighborhood hunting rodents including squirrels but left the birds alone. He would use our garden as a hunting ground and I would talk to him but I was ignored. They moved away taking the cat with them and now the dammed vermin population has exploded. Very much like progressive cities that defund police. I don’t really like cats as pets but am now considering getting one.

6 minutes ago, jmax said:

A neighbor has a black cat that roamed the neighborhood hunting rodents including squirrels but left the birds alone. He would use our garden as a hunting ground and I would talk to him but I was ignored. They moved away taking the cat with them and now the dammed vermin population has exploded. Very much like progressive cities that defund police. I don’t really like cats as pets but am now considering getting one.

A good investment. Some are more aggressive hunters than others. I’m told that adequately fed cats make the best hunters.