Well, CRAP!

Batesmotel

I found a fairly uncommon lens I’ve wanted for years. They are available used on line but this one was essentially new in the box, with the protective hard bubble case, the leather pouch, both caps, filter holder and lens hood. And here in the US. Most are in Germany or Japan. 

Basically bought by an LA commercial studio. The used it once then they converted to digital. It has just sat in the box for 15 years. 

I bought it then today I got a full refund. He dropped it as he was packing it to ship it to me. Ruined. It should have been here on my birthday. I was really excited. 

Sucks for me. 

REALLY Sucks for him. 

Sucks that the photo world lost a rare lens. 

Today just sucked. 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, MO Fugga said:

Is it something you can have factory/custom shop refurbished? 

There are shops that repair Hasselblad lenses but I guess it broke bad. A used 90% EX+ Is far better than a repair on a badly dropped lens. That’s what is now on it’s way from Japan. Just sucks to loose one that was rated Mint 99% +. 

37 minutes ago, crockett said:

Was that on eBay? Those stories often come up when they get a better offer...

No. Just a studio in LA selling off the last couple film lenses they owned. Friend of a friend sort of thing. He posted it on a great local classified website. KSL.com.  It’s run by a local TV station  it gets tons of out of state traffic.

I found a few on eBay but nothing new in box like this. So I bought the best one I saw there. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Nice camera. I’m toying with getting another digital camera but they are changing too fast. 

I know... I spent big money on a Sony setup... body has some 45 MB sensor. Last year I bough a new cell phone and that damn thing has 108 MB sensor.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 2

I’m an old school film shooter. I’m not surprised at how good digital cameras are. I’m surprised at how fast it happened. I thought development would take longer. 

What really shocked me was how fast and how good digital printers are. I can’t keep up. Especially with the software. I’m reverting to the darkroom harder and harder. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I’m an old school film shooter. I’m not surprised at how good digital cameras are. I’m surprised at how fast it happened. I thought development would take longer. 

What really shocked me was how fast and how good digital printers are. I can’t keep up. Especially with the software. I’m reverting to the darkroom harder and harder. 

I found out that I don't like watching new movies with a frame rate of 60, 120 or 240 FPS. They all look like reality TV or the news, and not like a movie.

Said it many times: I want my 80s back.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, crockett said:

I know... I spent big money on a Sony setup... body has some 45 MB sensor. Last year I bough a new cell phone and that damn thing has 108 MB sensor.

I’ve got several digital cameras, the most recent purchase excellent for my level of need and competence. It sets lonely and unused most of the time while my cell phone does most of my photography. Cell phone camera  is always with me which is its great achievement. 

2 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Cell phone camera  is always with me which is its great achievement. 

On the surface maybe. In reality, the smart phone has killed countless products, brands, stores, chains, even markets. All those related jobs and tax revenue are gone, and since most smart phones are made in China, we have grown a monster in Asia that has overtaken us economically and will run America down to nothing.

Watch this for example, you will get the idea...

And its not just that. People used to spend a ton of time in the outdoors and spent money traveling, fishing, hunting, building, etc, because there was not that much entertainment in the house. Today though look at the new generations. They spend most of their time in-front of video games, computers and smart phones, living their lives online and in games. All those needed hardware is made in Asia, mainly China. They have us sucked dry soon.

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1