Introduce yourself fellow hams

Historian

Howdy!  I go by the name of Historian around here.

I am a general class operator with a series interest in DX.   This year (2020) i closed out WAS and am about to close out DXCC.

Also a member of ARES. 

I work mostly digital modes.  PSK31, Olivia, Thor, FT8 and FT4.  

Love this hobby and running radio nets.

73s!

• Like 1

I too am a General class.  Currently off air and setting up my shack and Antenna. 

I picked up the hobby as a prelude to retirement.  I had been listening via Websdr.org while at work. which led me to pick up my Technician class and started listening/talking during my weekly commute.  I plan on seeing what the local clubs are like but as everything in my life "timing is everything".  I retired mid March everyone knows what that meant for socialization!!

Hopefully we can branch out to sub-forums for equipment, antennas and other modes.

73s, Norm

KN4NFG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GT4494 said:

I too am a General class.  Currently off air and setting up my shack and Antenna. 

I picked up the hobby as a prelude to retirement.  I had been listening via Websdr.org while at work. which led me to pick up my Technician class and started listening/talking during my weekly commute.  I plan on seeing what the local clubs are like but as everything in my life "timing is everything".  I retired mid March everyone knows what that meant for socialization!!

Hopefully we can branch out to sub-forums for equipment, antennas and other modes.

Sounds like it might be the right thing to do, Norm.  

There are a couple of people here who would like to know more about becoming radio active.     The might like to ask the questions of seasoned products like ourselves.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

KE0JJG checking in.

I’m a general class operator, and I just wanted to have the ability to communicate without wires or contracts.

I operate on a Yaesu 450D and a Hustler 5BTV vertical with 32 30’ radials.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Original W0...

Wife and Son are license holders as well.

I used to work on a remote Non-Magnetic site (I was Electrical Engineer on superconducting submarine sensors) so I set up my wife and my Son with 2 meter stations using Yagi's and towers.

I ran 160 Watts in the truck.  Each fixed station ran 100 watts on 10 element Yagis.

I could talk my son and my wife consistently simplex over 100 miles.

My wife's car ran 100 Watts on two meters.  We used to talk while she and I both drove to work.  It was nice.

My trucks had 180 Amp alternators that I retro fitted to support all the radio gear.  Thank God for junk yards!

Many times I was stuck in traffic in Blizzards in the middle of nowhere talking with my family and watching the battery charging - not discharging.

My truck 5/8 wave had the chrome burned off it from the power.

I could hit repeaters within approximately 200 miles.  Some repeaters gave me access to HF communications.

Cell phones and age replaced the radios, but our license's are still current.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

• Please Donate To TBS

Please donate to TBS.
    Your support is needed and it is greatly appreciated.