Ringing The Bells

The Catholic church in my hometown used to play on the hour and more so at noon and 6 o'clock. Then to announce each church service on Sunday.  All the kids in town heard the bells and knew when to go home for lunch or supper, no matter where they were.

Then the church bells were silenced because some considered it a breach of peace.

Now the Muslim call to prayer is considered a religious function and is permitted uniquely.  Now one religion has been determined to be privileged, while the other is considered a nuisance.

13 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Better to hear any day than sirens.

Yes, i agree, and it reminds of more important things in life when i hear the charming sound of church bells.

Most people don't know that there is a relationship between the frequency of the bell as it resonates to the actual Gothic cathedral.

Really quite remarkable.  This is just one example.

https://online.ucpress.edu/jsah/article/75/3/263/60897/Acoustics-at-the-Intersection-of-Architecture-and

"In acoustical terms, the primary product of the combination of ecclesiastical music and architecture is reverberation, the dulcet swell that follows every sonic impulse made in an enclosed space. It is the sum of countless indistinguishable echoes, produced as this impulse is reflected with varying degrees of absorption from the walls and furniture in a combination unique to every building. Reverberation is a grand sonic blender, without which the music of a cathedral like Noyon seems lifeless. The church is as much an instrument as are the voices of cantors—the space, in no uncertain terms, sings along "

-------------------

I'm certain someone wrote their dissertation on this topic.  But i wonder how much influence the walls at Notre Dam in Paris had in the development of the duplem and a fairly radical change in chant.  This early rising and falling (yet charming) secondary voice brought forth what was known as the Notre Dam school of chant and will eventually find it's place in the music of J.P. Palestrina.

Who...i might add...is the greatest musician of his time....a man who's work eventually makes modern music possible.

And you think 9mm v. 45 ACP is a big issue.  Try having your music debated as to if it is pleasing to both God and man...Two Live Crew wasn't even close to this level of controversy.

Edited by Historian
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rellik said:

Not catholic, but hearing bells is still cool.  Like a train a couple miles away.  

Right,  Some things transcend differences.   It's just nice.

On warm summer nights i can hear a train near me.  If i'm outside that is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Historian said:

Yes, i agree, and it reminds of more important things in life when i hear the charming sound of church bells.

Most people don't know that there is a relationship between the frequency of the bell as it resonates to the actual Gothic cathedral.

Really quite remarkable.  This is just one example.

https://online.ucpress.edu/jsah/article/75/3/263/60897/Acoustics-at-the-Intersection-of-Architecture-and

"In acoustical terms, the primary product of the combination of ecclesiastical music and architecture is reverberation, the dulcet swell that follows every sonic impulse made in an enclosed space. It is the sum of countless indistinguishable echoes, produced as this impulse is reflected with varying degrees of absorption from the walls and furniture in a combination unique to every building. Reverberation is a grand sonic blender, without which the music of a cathedral like Noyon seems lifeless. The church is as much an instrument as are the voices of cantors—the space, in no uncertain terms, sings along "

-------------------

I'm certain someone wrote their dissertation on this topic.  But i wonder how much influence the walls at Notre Dam in Paris had in the development of the duplem and a fairly radical change in chant.  This early rising and falling (yet charming) secondary voice brought forth what was known as the Notre Dam school of chant and will eventually find it's place in the music of J.P. Palestrina.

Who...i might add...is the greatest musician of his time....a man who's work eventually makes modern music possible.

And you think 9mm v. 45 ACP is a big issue.  Try having your music debated as to if it is pleasing to both God and man...Two Live Crew wasn't even close to this level of controversy.

The singularly most amazing example of acoustical multi-path interference I know of, is a tuned pipe with critical dimensions of the forward and reflective acoustic wave producing compression and rarefaction, resulting is compressed air going into a T shaped pipe/Vortex tube, with hot air coming out one end and cold air out the other.

You tune the standing waves to get this effect.

Reverberation is a similar result of multipath constructive/destructive interference.  Not unlike Radio Frequency standing waves.

Edited by janice6

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

The singularly most amazing example of acoustical multi-path interference I know of, is a tuned pipe with critical dimensions of the forward and reflective acoustic wave producing compression and rarefaction, resulting is compressed air going into a T shaped pipe/Vortex tube, with hot air coming out one end and cold air out the other.

You tune the standing waves to get this effect.

Reverberation is a similar result of multipath constructive/destructive interference.  Not unlike Radio Frequency standing waves.

Wow.  I had to think about this one for a while.  That is astonishing.  As i read this i was thinking about standing waves.  The other thought was of thermal ducting.

Sir, i claim the man who invented that is a witch! A witch i say!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Historian said:

Wow.  I had to think about this one for a while.  That is astonishing.  As i read this i was thinking about standing waves.  The other thought was of thermal ducting.

Sir, i claim the man who invented that is a witch! A witch i say!

Actually, if you think of it in terms of Radio Frequency standing waves due to a mismatch in impedance, you then have two paths that are somewhat independent.  You need to very minutely change the effective length of each path to maximize the standing wave at that port.  The adjustment of path length is critically accomplished by watching a thermocouple at each output port. You are simply adjusting the impedance mismatch (the path length)  to move the standing waves to get a peak and a minimum where you want them exactly at the outputs..

Now you tweak each output to maximize it's temperature, cold for one due to the rarefaction in the acoustic pressure wave (not unlike a low pressure acoustic point) while the high temperature at the other point is a peak compression of the acoustic wave. 

Like I said, you can slightly tweek the effective lengths to minimize the cold port and maximize the hot port.  All the while input is simply compressed air at a reasonable pressure.  Science is fun!

Edited by janice6