Roofing for my lockdown cabin on order

Last weekend my son and I hauled in all the supplies for a new steel roof on his cabin along with treated wood for a new deck. I ordered the steel for mine today. $1700. Should be able to pick it up tomorrow, and then head north after he gets off work and drag my loads in. Hopefully there is still enough snow left. Otherwise I'll have to wait several more weeks and tow it in on a trailer behind my 6 wheeler. 

Looking forward to these projects. Cabin improvements. Wilderness, Beer drinking, and bear hunting in no particular order.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Looking forward to these projects. Cabin improvements. Wilderness, Beer drinking, and bear hunting in no particular order.

Look.  I know we've not met.  But have i told you there's a chance i might be your long lost illigitimate son?

Let me know what it takes to come home.  Hell, i'll help with all three of those things. 

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

In Texas,  we'd just take the hammers and beer and the rifles all up on the roof.

Multi-tasking.

Years ago I was roofing a house along the Kenai River. It got too windy to work so we sat on the roof with our .22's picking off the seagulls that were drifting by with the wind.

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Look.  I know we've not met.  But have i told you there's a chance i might be your long lost illigitimate son?

Let me know what it takes to come home.  Hell, i'll help with all three of those things. 

Can you cook?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Walt busts through the front door with a bear right on his heels. As he dives out the back window, Walt yells out, "You start cooking this one, I'll go lure in another."

No worries pop! I have cast iron. We need a Dutch oven to tender that beast.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Historian said:

I once asked a salty old Alaskan if I could come visit. He asked me where I was coming from. I assumed he was working up directions in his mind.

"Nope. You can't get here from there."

3 hours ago, tadbart said:

I once asked a salty old Alaskan if I could come visit. He asked me where I was coming from. I assumed he was working up directions in his mind.

"Nope. You can't get here from there."

I put my daughter's village into my gps,  just to see.

It told me to pick a different location.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I put my daughter's village into my gps,  just to see.

It told me to pick a different location.

It's a way of life not familiar to most of the world. I'm sure Walt could cite multiple examples of people who "thought" that's what they wanted, until the isolation and cold made them reconsider.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zonny said:

I’ll be there in July. Too bad you’ll be done by then.  ?

Perhaps I'll procrastinate. The roofing I bought is a charcoal gray. The once bright blue cabin will be a dark barn red color. All the trim will be the same charcoal gray. I am stealing the color scheme from the new NFD fire station 2. Also working on interior paint. Lots going on out there. Jason is putting brown metal on his cabin and building an 8x20 treated wood deck on the pipeline side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walt Longmire said:

Perhaps I'll procrastinate. The roofing I bought is a charcoal gray. The once bright blue cabin will be a dark barn red color. All the trim will be the same charcoal gray. I am stealing the color scheme from the new NFD fire station 2. Also working on interior paint. Lots going on out there. Jason is putting brown metal on his cabin and building an 8x20 treated wood deck on the pipeline side.

Very nice. That’s going to look great! I used to pass a house with the color scheme on the daily work commute. Loved it! How close can you get in the truck now? 

How about the place on the bluff?

Edited by Zonny

43 minutes ago, Zonny said:

Very nice. That’s going to look great! I used to pass a house with the color scheme on the daily work commute. Loved it! How close can you get in the truck now? 

How about the place on the bluff?

The new gravel goes about 1 mile past my cabin. The road is on the Inlet edge of the pipeline corridor. We have been accessing the cabins by going around on the Borough r.o.w. on Cloudberry Loop and down Chickwwed Ct. No gravel on that. To haul the new materials in we took a shortcut through the woods from the gravel with the snow machines pulling aluminum toboggan sleds. The packed down trail in the snow is disappearing fast. It was turning to water under us yesterday.

Eventually the gravel will extend 3 miles past my place to just across Otter Creek where they will construct a large turn around and parking area.

The place on the bluff has access down Jacob's Ladder almost to the cabin, and is gravel now, but I have to cross private property. The legal access is down Golden Rod Loop to Jasmine Ct and is somewhat cleared but not constructed. Hopefully I will get ambitious and make some progress on that cool place. I thought I had the blue cabin sold even though I wasn't trying. I got an offer and drug my feet on it. At the last minute when all they had to do was sign the final documents, they backed out. I wasn't that keen on selling it anyway, but it sure would have caused me to focus on the bluff property.

Edited by Walt Longmire
  • Like 1