Potential Covid-19 Vaccine Discovered

Eric

• Administrators

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/potential-covid-19-vaccine-developed-by-upmc-pitt/XXJTVN5VUZBVRM7P26A4CGEQBM/

PITTSBURGH — There is a potential vaccine for COVID-19, doctors and researchers from UPMC and the University of Pittsburgh announced Thursday, our affiliate WPXI reported.

The vaccine, which is delivered through a fingertip-sized patch, produces what is thought to be enough antibodies to neutralize the virus...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

I thought Trump!!! ripped all the regulations away.

yay, trump

Bureaucrats don't give up power without a fight.  I thought the president had forced the FDA to approve chloroquine and z-pack combo treatment for C-19, but this past weekend we got headlines that the FDA had approved it for that use.  Apparently, they only gave NYC the go ahead.  

Don't be surprised if the FDA sues the president to prevent him from ordering them to approve it.

Trump got criticized for discussing the chloroquine and z-pack combos potential, but if left to it's normal processed, the FDA would still be having meetings to establish the format for long term trials.  

The thing that gets me about all these doctors calling for long term trials is that someone gets a placebo.

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, tadbart said:

...just a year of red tape away...

5 hours ago, Dric902 said:

It’s a damn shame that I think that this might not be fast tracked because our gov’t doesn’t want it ‘just yet’

as they haven’t gotten everything they want done quite yet

(including the President)

Fast tracking human trials is terribly risky.  Some might accept today's risk for tomorrow's illness.  Human trials came about because of very serious long term effects not shown in the near term.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Would you trade Cancer in your future as a side effect for immunity from Corona Virus.  Life is full of choices.

As the owner of a prostate, if I live long enough, that thing will eventually go cancerous. Most likely, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or some other cancer will get me first. Plus, at the midway point, and as a realist, I'm pretty much at peace with my lot.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, as it tolls for us all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrB said:

He was a lucky one with that. Some not so much so. Like the Radium Girls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium_Girls

"...Hamilton eventually succumbed to the radiation that he explored for most of his adult life: he died of leukemia at the age of 49...."

"... Although Stevens was the person who received the highest dose of radiation during the plutonium experiments, he was neither the first nor the last subject to be studied. Eighteen people aged 4 to 69 were injected with plutonium. Subjects who were chosen for the experiment had been diagnosed with a terminal disease. They lived from 6 days up to 44 years past the time of their injection.[2] Eight of the 18 died within 2 years of the injection.[2] All died from their preexisting terminal illness, or cardiac illnesses. None died from the plutonium itself. …"

"...There is no evidence that Stevens had any idea that he was the subject of a secret government experiment in which he would be subjected to a substance that would have no benefit to his health...."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Stevens

1 hour ago, DrB said:

He was a lucky one with that. Some not so much so. Like the Radium Girls.

"...Many of the women later began to suffer from anemia, bone fractures, and necrosis of the jaw, a condition now known as radium jaw. It is thought that the X-ray machines used by the medical investigators may have contributed to some of the sickened workers' ill-health by subjecting them to additional radiation. It turned out at least one of the examinations was a ruse, part of a campaign of disinformation started by the defense contractor.[4] U.S. Radium and other watch-dial companies rejected claims that the afflicted workers were suffering from exposure to radium. For some time, doctors, dentists, and researchers complied with requests from the companies not to release their data.[8] At the urging of the companies, worker deaths were attributed by medical professionals to other causes. Syphilis, a notorious sexually transmitted infection at the time, was often cited in attempts to smear the reputations of the women.[9..."

12 minutes ago, tadbart said:

As the owner of a prostate, if I live long enough, that thing will eventually go cancerous. Most likely, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, or some other cancer will get me first. Plus, at the midway point, and as a realist, I'm pretty much at peace with my lot.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, as it tolls for us all.

These are diseases that we acquire by some chance, not   knowingly.

Mankind always has had to deal with fate, most of us don't knowingly tempt that fate. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, janice6 said:

These are diseases that we acquire by some chance, not   knowingly.

Mankind always has had to deal with fate, most of us don't knowingly tempt that fate. 

One could argue that the diseases brought on by a sedentary lifestyle, cheeseburgers, and cigarettes are indeed tempting fate, and not acquired by the whim of the gods. Let's not kid ourselves- a lot of "natural causes" deaths, we bring upon ourselves as a species. If something's got a chance to give me cancer at age 80, but offer me an opportunity to get much closer to 80, I'm willing to risk it.

Either way, no one here gets out alive.

Edited by tadbart
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, tadbart said:

One could argue that the diseases brought on by a sedentary lifestyle, cheeseburgers, and cigarettes are indeed tempting fate, and not acquired by the whim of the gods. Let's not kid ourselves- a lot of "natural causes" deaths, we bring upon ourselves as a species. If something's got a chance to give me cancer at age 80, but offer me an opportunity to get much closer to 80, I'm willing to risk it.

Either way, no one here gets out alive.

Yes.  I personally have accepted the lifestyle I enjoy the most, with it's impending threats.  What's the use of a long life if your not happy with it.  My life is the result of the trade off of being happy and accepting the length of life that comes with it.  For the most part though, I knowingly accepted the known risks.  The unknown I have no control over.  Que sera, sera.

32 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Yes.  I personally have accepted the lifestyle I enjoy the most, with it's impending threats.  What's the use of a long life if your not happy with it.  My life is the result of the trade off of being happy and accepting the length of life that comes with it.  For the most part though, I knowingly accepted the known risks.  The unknown I have no control over.  Que sera, sera.

Here's to quite a few more years of happiness and relative health, amigo!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I met up with a close friend of mine a few years ago.  We spent the night drinking and reflecting on the old times, good times and bad.  Wondered why he showed up  at the house that day?? Somehow I realized  in our talking he was not long to be here,  I did not ask, he did not say.  We got shitfaced drunk and told our stories` through the night.  Yep, he was gone within the next year. 

He knew the hand the cards dealt him and so did I realize this in his talking.  The deck of cards can be harsh.  

I can accept it when the cards deal that hand to me. So be it.

Dave..