Tracking down a Civil War Soldier

tadbart

Hey guys-

I'm looking for some help on how to start researching a Soldier from the Union Army who was at Ft. Sumter when the Confederates attacked.  Any of you military guys know of a database? We share a last name. Just trying to figure out if we were related. Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Hey guys-

I'm looking for some help on how to start researching a Soldier from the Union Army who was at Ft. Sumter when the Confederates attacked.  Any of you military guys know of a database? We share a last name. Just trying to figure out if we were related. Thanks in advance.

What State was he from? He might have qualified for a state pension. What rank? Commissioned?

• Like 1

Awesome. Thanks for the direction, guys. @railfancwb he was enlisted, a Private John Kehoe. There's a bronze monument inside the fort with a list of those who were there during the bombardment. Through a little googling, I found a Pvt. John Kehoe who was with the NJ Volunteers, Company B, 2nd Regiment From May 27, 1861 through June 10, 1862. Not sure if this is the same guy who was in Ft. Sumter, though.

@norcalAF I'll dig around on the VA site. Thanks for the pointer!

Good call @holyjohnson . Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time on the island to do any real digging. My friend found a cannon with his family's mark on it, and we spent the majority of the time chatting with a Ranger about that. I just happened to see the list of names on my way out.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tous said:

Good luck, amigo.

Isn't learning stuff the most fun you can have with your clothes on?

Thanks, tous! Yeah, I've got some interesting family ties to Savannah, GA, and I'm stoked to maybe put those together with some Civil War history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tadbart said:

thanks, man. looks like the oldest records are housed in DC. when the world starts spinning again, I'll head up that way and spend a day in the archives.

Sometimes with things like this you need to do what's known as a freedom of information act letter.    They will do the research for you if they have records.

With older records like this the states often have better resources.  For example, Georgia has excellent records of that time period.

Also, don't over look the local historians.  Most places seem to have some level of community history organization that may contain some records.

I do this as a hobby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most local libraries have reference rooms, often kept locked with admission by request, with local history information. Census, genealogy, area and family histories, maps, etc. 

Do an internet search on the name. A fair number of cemetery markers have been transcribed and put into searchable files.  

• Like 2

@Historian I think the best thing to do is start back at the source, which means a longer visit to Charleston (gee, darn). I sure didn't give the town the exploration it deserved, as it was just one facet of the road trip. Once I'm sure I'm looking for the right guy, the FOIA letter could save me a lot of leg work!

There appears to be quite a few John Kehoe's. I'm not even certain yet that the NJ guys is the same fella. I'm guessing that a trip back to the Fort, coupled with rail's suggestion to check out the local historical info, will point me in the right direction.

• Like 2