Motorcycle Thread

Rabbi

New-to-me 2009 Vespa 300si. Four cycle, water cooled, automatic transmission, can easily exceed 70mph. Learning stop sign street corners is my present task. AND not squeezing the lever on the left handlebar which is rear brake rather than clutch. Do miss that foot pedal on the right side which is rear brake on my other Vespa. 

68BFD7E3-AAA0-4ED0-9E70-905620C0D12F.jpeg

F8856ADC-C83F-4334-AE44-93B518B96C6E.jpeg

• Like 3

On 5/30/2022 at 7:41 AM, pipedreams said:

1965 BMW 2 Seater

dd845eaef82389eb.jpg

Nice try, but that's a Chang Jiang Chinese copy for the R71 frame and a R60/6 motor from 1974-1976 era. An actual R60 from 1965 would be called R60/2 to differentiate it from the 1950's era which would be called R60 or R60/1. Neither would say R60/6 on the engine.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/733933/1965-bmw-motorcycle-for-sale-in-los-angeles-california-90265

6iaeb3.jpg

The valve covers are from the later /7 series, 1977-1980, and have been chrome plated. The rear turn signals are not OEM (1965 had handgrip mounted bar-end turnsignals) and many other parts are not genuine BMW ersatzteile. Cool custom though.

6iafh3.jpg

These would be the correct turnsignals for a 1965 vintage:

6iagoe.jpg

• Like 2

So what's your point, it is listed as "This is a truly classic 1965 cycle."   The titling of the bike has been completed. It is listed as a 1965 BMW R/60 with a clear Minnesota title.

New Price! Just Reduced to $15,900 OBO. BMW Sidecar - Restored BMW Sidecar with Replica Frame and BMW Airhead Twin Motor. R-60

• Like 1

6ianc4.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chang_Jiang_(motorcycle)

Drop a BMW ^R60/6 motor into a Chang Jiang frame .

My boss who owned Capitol Cycle had his mechanics drop a 1977 R100/7 engine into a rebuilt /2 sidecar frame for more power but interesting handling. 

He jumped thru a lot of legal hoops to get DC to title it but IIRC the serial number was used from the frame, not the replacement motor.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

It is listed as a 1965 BMW R/60 with a clear Minnesota title. So I guess it is the state of Minnesota's error.

And the bike was sold in California without transferring the title from Minnesota. 

DMV bureaucrats didn't title it in California because customs are confusing, but the Minnesota title was clear because it had no liens.

So you could legally buy it, reasonably certain that it was not stolen. But the serial number on the BMW motor will never match the VIN on the Chinese frame.

• Like 1