New firearms with poor QC.

KBKEITH

How many of you have purchased a new firearm only to discover a defect which requires sending it back to the manufacturer for repair? I know crap happens and sometimes you end up with a bad one. These are ones I had to send back:

1. Ruger M77 Mark II - bent barrel
  2. Bushmaster XM15 - lower receiver finish issue
  3. Remington 700 - chamber issue
  4. Bushmaster XM15 upper - chamber issue
  5. Remington 870 - ejector issue
  6. Marlin 1894 - ejector issue

I have also had some fit and finish issues with various other firearms I own that I could have easily made an issue over, but chose to live with it instead.

What are some examples that you guys and gals have had over the years?

• Like 2

M&P 22 compact. Didn't send it back as S&W sent me the part next day which was great but first range day rear sight flew off and was lost. Had 6 trigger pulls and that was it. Later found it was a common problem. Easy fix but annoying and should have been fixed in QC as I wasn't an early adopter. Almost sent it back to get the thread adapter off too. Broke the cheap wrench in seconds and fought with it for an hour. Thought I was going to break the internals. Great gun now but the first day was a mess. 

• Like 1

I've been pretty lucky but I have certain manufacturers I shy away from. I intentionally bought a Remington 870 Police that was made in 1994. The new 870's are notorious for having issues.

The only gun that I had a lot of issues with was a very early Sig p238. My wife has a different one that has been flawless.

• Like 1

I've only had one. A NIB Smith J-frame totally seized up after 100 rounds of factory, standard pressure ammo. Smith seems to have fixed it.

Working at a gun shop/range part time, I have seen more. Smith and Ruger are two of the biggest names with more frequent problems. We've had a full handful of brand new Ruger GP100/Sp101s that lock up on their first cylinder of being used. Others that look like someone used a hammer and chisel to finish them. Many Smith revolvers have canted barrels. One CZ that broke it's extractor after 1/2 a box of ammo (cheap Russian junk ammo, but still).

Etc.

I have pretty much limited my purchases to guns that I can get a detailed, hands on look at before buying. Problems have always existed. It seems that some gun makers have cut back their QC in order to pump out sheer volume in the last few years. 

• Like 1

I have a Remlin  336Y that had to go back twice to get the front sight TDC.

I finally found a Remington Tac-14 the other day and didn't buy it because....the front bead was off about 4 degrees to the left as you looked down the barrel. :dunno:

Edited by Sniffler
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sniffler said:

I have a Remlin  336Y that had to go back twice to get the front sight TDC.

I finally found a Remington Tac-14 the other day and didn't buy it because....the front bead was off about 4 degrees to the left as you looked down the barrel. :dunno:

That is really disappointing, especially the Tac-14. It’s amazing to me that stuff like that is not caught before it leaves the factory. I mean that is something that is easily seen with the naked eye.

• Like 1

LCPII - Couldn't get through a mag without some kind of horrid stovepipe.  Ruger fixed it and it functions well now.

M&P 9 - Absolutely sucked.  Had 4 different shooters put a whole lot of ammo down range only to experience the same crappy accuracy issues I was experiencing.  Sent it back to S&W who replaced the entire slide and barrel.  Accuracy improved, but not enough.  My 9mm Shield shot better and was dead-nuts accurate.  Sold the M&P at a loss and was glad to be rid of it.  

• Like 1

I had to send my brand new and unfired Delta Elite back to Colt because the safety wouldn't full engage without being forced, or overextending the hammer. They fixed it and sent it back with a ******* idiot mark. That was just one of three issues with it. I really wish I would have fixed it myself. 

I bought a 2015 Colt series 70 Gold Cup that had a ding in the finish because Colt tards can't pack a gun without loose **** in the box moving all over. It didn't stop me from buying a second one, a S70 Government model, and the Delta. The Delta has cooled my Colt buying. I would have probably purchased three of them since the Delta, but because I was pissed off at Colt the last half dozen guns have been something other than Colt. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley in .45 Colt with lots of cosmetic flaws; fixed those with a lot of elbow grease and steel wool.  The cylinders are also inconsistent and it needs to be sent to a gunsmith I found that specializes in making Ruger wheelguns "right" for about $60. 

My S&W Shield Performance Center model in 9mm came with a flawed barrel; big old lump on the top part of the barrel.  

IMG_20160910_123402659_HDR.jpg.18df533709ad8af7c157701d19ec944d.jpg

I sent it back and two months later they sent it back with another barrel without that flaw, but a dinged up crown edge.  Just got rid of it.

This is the new "good" barrel...

IMG_20161028_244952649.thumb.jpg.4e81cb0bf9ead2bfab9d034e3fb989af.jpg

• Sad 2

I had a Rem 870 that would shred the claw off of the extractor.

I've had 3 Rugers go back.  P85 for recall.  LCP for recall.  Mark 2 for 50lb trigger pull!

S&W M&P9c for not firing.

Henry AR7 for randomly going full auto.

Taurus revolver in 44 Special for under-sized cylinder chambers.

Never sent a Hi-Point back!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Kahr CW40 when they first came out. I wasted 700 rounds through it trying to “ break it in “ before I sent it to Kahr. I got it back A few weeks later and it did the same thing, FTFeed at least every other mag. I would have given it up sooner, but I really liked how thin it was, the trigger was ok and I shot it well.

Edited by Appalachained
  • Like 1

Bought a HiPoint 9mm for 20 bucks because it had a barrel with a triangular cross-section.  Looked like someone had put it in a bench vise.  Sent it back, fixed and returned no questions asked.  Sold it for 75 bucks.  Have had a couple of Taurus Slim 9mm's with bad extractors, sent in and repaired and now totally reliable.  A Dan Wesson .357 (decades ago) that totally froze up, sold as-is.  Otherwise, very few issues.

Marlin 1897 .22 - sent back twice and to an independent gun smith.  Dumped it. 

Rem 11-87. Fail to eject.  Supposedly fixed but sold before testing.

Browning 22 Abolt.  Fail to feed.  Had feed ramp polished, sold before testing.

Ruger 10-22 (x3).  Bad extractor on all 3, replaced myself.

• 8 months later...

Taurus Lite Snub .38 Spec with a high spot on the cylinder face under the star extractor. I had a go around with Taurus  service a couple years prior to that so I took the hump down myself. Works fine now.

Edited by Citra47

Only returned the retarded S&W Victory with that design flaw of a one-screw-does-it-all idiocy. Joined the bent Allen key club, followed by the loose barrel club on the same day. That was unfixable in my eyes. Right back to my LGS.

Other than that I fix all my guns myself, even if under warranty. I don't trust others, let alone those who screwed it up in the first place.

Since this thread was originally started, I've purchased another 4 firearms; Glock 35, Glock 19, Marlin 1894 lever-action, and a Taurus G2c.

Marlin was a joke with multiple issues.  Fixed them and it's OK now.  Glock 19 had a horrible trigger and just wasn't that accurate.  Sold it.  Glock 35 was the same but decided to keep it and try to fix it.  Taurus was perfect.

Ironic that I've never had a bad gun in the previous 30 years of gun ownership and in the last five have had quite a few.

Worst gun this century..a gen 3 Glock 17. A  brand new from the factory QC nightmare. The barrel had chatter marks dug into it. The feed ramp appeared off center. Would not shoot a mag of ammo w/o a jam. Both magazines came with 4-5" tails of plastic dross.

Really, I do not understand how it was shipped. Called Glock, read them the S/N. They said ship it back. I also gave them the name of a well known gun writer I shot with at the time "we would appreciate it if you did not mention this to him."

Well, I did mention it and he suggested a friend who was building a display collection of 20th century handguns might want it. I sold it to him as a wall hanger.

Worst gun in 20th century...a Colt 9mm GM made during their labor troubles. Oh, don't get me started. Had it rebuilt by Les Baer (he was working out of his home back then.)

• Like 1

Sig Sauer P239 .40 S&W

The internals imploded after the first 10 rounds of factory ammo - bad recoil spring assemby, bad take down lever assembly and other components - fixed by Sig in less than two weeks

Kahr K9 9mm

The thing locked up after the first 20 rounds of factory ammo. They basically rebuilt the entire pistol in two weeks. 

S & W Model 60 .357

Out of time - locked up after the 5th round - fixed in about 2 weeks

Tanfoglio Witness .40 S&W

The thing was shipped out untuned. The feed ramp had to be  re-contured and the barrel re-fitted. Fixed in 2 weeks.

Since this time, I don’t deviate from Glocks and HK’s. They just work for me. Thus far, I’ve never had an issue with either.

I will mention, I bought a Benelli M2 last year and the first box of shells was hit and miss. I had 6 or 7 jams out of 25 shells. The shells were the new style Federal Black Cloud. They kicked like a mule to boot. I bought a few boxes of Winchester Dry Lok Steel Shot 3” 12 Gauge #2’s. It ran flawlessly with them and anything else I have fed it. The shotgun does not like the new Black Cloud. 

I traded an old EAA Windicator .357 wheel gun for a Masterpiece Arms 5.7mm Defender carbine. It would not feed or eject anything other than the expensive FN 5.7 ammo. I called them and they informed me that when it was made, the only ammo available in that caliber at the time was the FN. They had me ship the barrel back to them and they sent it back and it would then cycle the American Eagle 5.7 ammo. Shortly thereafter, I began to have issues with the mag double feeding. I noticed it was a Pro Mag brand, which I had issues with on two other brands of rifles. I ordered two additional mags from Masterpiece Arms only to find out that it was the brand that they contracted to supply with their rifles. The new mags worked better but still had occasional issues and subsequently sold it on Armslist letting the buyer know the whole story. I used that as seed money to buy a K&M Arms M17S 5.56 bullpup. Never regretted it.

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:33 AM, KBKEITH said:

How many of you have purchased a new firearm only to discover a defect which requires sending it back to the manufacturer for repair? I know crap happens and sometimes you end up with a bad one. These are ones I had to send back:

1. Ruger M77 Mark II - bent barrel
  2. Bushmaster XM15 - lower receiver finish issue
  3. Remington 700 - chamber issue
  4. Bushmaster XM15 upper - chamber issue
  5. Remington 870 - ejector issue
  6. Marlin 1894 - ejector issue

I have also had some fit and finish issues with various other firearms I own that I could have easily made an issue over, but chose to live with it instead.

What are some examples that you guys and gals have had over the years?

Numbers 2-6 are all guns made by the Remington Outdoor  "Freedom Group" company. (Cerebus Capital Management) Not only does their QC suck but their customer service can sometimes be even worse. At least Ruger won't Jerk you around.

5 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Numbers 2-6 are all guns made by the Remington Outdoor  "Freedom Group" company. (Cerebus Capital Management) Not only does their QC suck but their customer service can sometimes be even worse. At least Ruger won't Jerk you around.

‘Would love to see Marlin break away and go back to their roots.