Military history help please

Mrs.Cicero

Based upon my 20 years experience as a Marine (including 3 as a recruiter), she needs two things heading to recruit training:

- To be physically fit

- Strong core values

We’ll do the rest... if she’s good enough, she’ll earn her Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, and with it lifetime membership in the Corps.

Based upon what the OP said about her, my money says she gets that EGA.

Semper Fi

Edited to add: The Commandant’s reading list is meant to develop Marines. The only book I’d recommend for a prospective recruit is the Guidebook for Marines. Save the rest until later. 

Edited by TXUSMC
  • Thanks 3

On 2/6/2020 at 3:03 PM, gwalchmai said:

This.

This is quite simply one of the best books I’ve read of any genre.  5 star average on Amazon with more than 3k reviews.  Get it at the library and the longer edition though; sounds like kindle edition has some editing.

The author was a mortar man in the Pacific war...so it’s not very strategic...but was quite eloquent in conveying the horror he and his buddies experienced; example:

“In combat, cleanliness for the infantryman was all but impossible. Our filth added to our general misery. Fear and filth went hand in hand. It has always puzzled me that this important factor in our daily lives has received so little attention from historians and often is omitted from otherwise excellent personal memoirs by infantrymen. It is, of course, a vile subject, but it was as important to us then as being wet or dry, hot or cold, in the shade or exposed to the blistering sun, hungry, tired, or sick.”

— With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa by E.B. Sledge

• Like 2

Some interesting history I've read

The Kaisers Pirates, by Nick Hewitt

Landing in Hell, by Peter Margaritas

Patton, Montgomery, Rommel Masters of War

If You Survive, by George Wilson

In the Shadows of Victory

Shores of Tripoli, James Haley

To the Last Man, Jeff Shaara

Guadalcanal Diary, Richard Tresgaskis

In Mortal Combat, John Toland

That's all I could find in my books

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 1:45 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm designing my youngest kid's 11th and 12th grade history curriculum.  (Yes, she's homeschooled).  She has specifically requested Military History for the next two years, eventually to include strategy and tactics. This is my I-wanna-be-a-tank-mechanic-in-the-Marines child, so I've already pulled up the Commandant's reading list.  What books on that list would you most highly recommend for this purpose?  What is NOT on that list would you add/recommend?  Thanks all!

also there is a great series on Amazon Prime called Ancient Warriors,some Great learning there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

I'm designing my youngest kid's 11th and 12th grade history curriculum.  (Yes, she's homeschooled).  She has specifically requested Military History for the next two years, eventually to include strategy and tactics. This is my I-wanna-be-a-tank-mechanic-in-the-Marines child, so I've already pulled up the Commandant's reading list.  What books on that list would you most highly recommend for this purpose?  What is NOT on that list would you add/recommend?  Thanks all!

The Pacific

By Hugh Ambrose

With the Old Breed: At Peleliu and Okinawa

By E.B. Sledge

Plus this entire list; https://www.marineshop.net/books?p=2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1