Things to Do In San Antonio

tadbart

Just got tickets for a concert at the Alamodome. Flying in the day before, having dinner with an old friend. The next morning, breakfast at the Riverwalk and then the Alamo. Then I'm heading to Big Bend National Park for a few days. I have a full day available on my return to San Antonio before flying home.

What to do?

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tadbart said:

Just got tickets for a concert at the Alamodome. Flying in the day before, having dinner with an old friend. The next morning, breakfast at the Riverwalk and then the Alamo. Then I'm heading to Big Bend National Park for a few days. I have a full day available on my return to San Antonio before flying home.

What to do?

All the way up the Riverwalk you can by beer.

34 minutes ago, tous said:

Don't pee on the Alamo.

We don't like that.

I was there once. That place is Sacred Ground, and if you get out of line, most everyone there will tell you about yourself.

Don't really have a problem with just hanging out in the Riverwalk area, if that's the highlight of the town. May try to head over to the other nearby Mission and look around there, too.

It wouldn't surprise me if @Rabbi was at this show.

• Like 2

• Administrators

There are tons of great thing to do in SA. The Institute of Texan Cultures is great to tour. It is near the Alamo, on Hemisfair Plaza. The whole Plaza is great. 

the Riverwalk is one if my favorite haunts in SA. I used to work there at the Lonestar Bar & Grille, when I was in school, after I got out of the Army. I love SA.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Eric Thanks for the tip. My previous experience with Texas was a one-day drive from El Paso to Big Bend to SA, with breakfast and Alamo the next morning, and on to New Orleans. What I saw of Texan people and culture was enough for me to jump at going back to San Antonio for the Rammstein concert at the Alamodome, and to spend the rest of the week poking around. Lots of rich history there.

@Fnfalman I love near the Villages, FL. There's a 100m indoor range that I can lug all my toys to, without the the guns/airline hassle. If I have to shoot anything on this trip, I done messed up!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TXUSMC said:

Beyond the obligatory trip to the Alamo, stop just around the corner at the historic Menger Hotel. Gotta have drinks in their bar... Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders did ?

I had to look it up, and that's the hotel I stayed at on one of my trips to SA.  It was a nice place and only  a few steps across the street from the Alamo.  More memories for me.

14 minutes ago, TXUSMC said:

Beyond the obligatory trip to the Alamo, stop just around the corner at the historic Menger Hotel. Gotta have drinks in their bar... Teddy Roosevelt and his Rough Riders did ?

Thank you, Sir. I was just looking at the map for hotels in proximity to the Alamo and the dome.

Anyone gone up in The Tower of the Americas? Worth it?