I had to spend some money today.

astepup

With the recent weekend storm we got hit with quite a bit of snow and severe winds. I had Saturday off but had errands to run so stopped by the office to see the damage. It was the deepest snowfall I'd seen all winter and since I'm the Building Maintenance Custodian (glorified janitor with a title) it's my job to clear the snow. Decided I'd rather go in Sun or Mon and clear it versus dealing with it on Tues at 6 am. So I go in Sun and spend 45 min trying to start the POS 25+ year old John Deere snowblower that I can't even get parts for anymore. Tried everything but it wouldn't start. Same for today after 30 futile minutes.

I was looking at the amount of snow and thought it'd take me at least four hours to shovel it by hand, which to me is a heart attack waiting to happen. I decided to just go buy a new snowblower on my dime because I needed it now. To go through the governmental red tape (ordering and getting approval) I wouldn't get one for maybe two weeks. I know buying a snowblower after a big storm when everyone wants one isn't the best time but I felt I didn't have much of a choice.

So here she is... Craftsman 26" 208cc with some nice features.IMG_20200120_120430518.thumb.jpg.d59dd9880c4e33588dff07a8c2b6f578.jpg

The joystick controls the discharge chute and it has "steering assist" by squeezing a lever on either handle that kills power to the corresponding wheel. It took a bit to get used to and I spent a bit over three hours running it to get everything cleared. I have no idea how long I would have spent shoveling.

I'm hoping to retire in a few months so when I do leave I'm taking her home with me. I figure I can use it around the farm or maybe sell it.

Edited by astepup
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tous said:

Did you verbally abuse the recalcitrant machine?

Threaten it with a large tool?

Yes I did and I thought for good measure I'd spit on it but realized that'd just be silly.

Edited by astepup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, tous said:

Did you verbally abuse the recalcitrant machine?

Threaten it with a large tool?

My brother and I were attempting field repairs on some logging equipment and doing some grumbling when one of our favorite log truck drivers chimed in. "Call it a Pig ******. Works every time."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4