2020 Honda CRV

PSLFL

The wife wants me to buy a 2020 Honda CRV.  I'm a little afraid of the CVT (continuously variable transmission).  Any input from smart Honda guys?

Edited by PSLFL
fat fingured spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Plain old Honda guy here. I have a 2014 Accord 4 banger with 68k on the CVT. I was leery but it's been great. Granted, I don't push it and I'd be leery (er) of running a CVT on a 6 cyl (if they offer it). Also, I get great gas mileage with it.

My wife wants a new RAV4.

• Like 2

I get a car every three years. Mostly they have been Nissans.

Every one has had a CVT transmission. I was wary but over the years and many cars, I now like them better than standard design transmissions.

I have had no problems from them, but as I said, I only keep them three years so take that for what it's worth.

I do find that they are consistently quicker in acceleration and have little perception of gear changes.  

I do like the fact that if I'm coming to a light and at the last minute it changes Green, I use a little accelerator and there is no noticible surge due to shifting down and then suddenly up again.  Torque is there all the time.

I am a little heavy and quick on the throttle from a start and I get immediate response.  If I accelerate more than I should, it's quick smooth and constant acceleration with no notice of lag or surge from one gear to another.

A couple of cars ago Nissan mailed me a notice that because some customers were wary of the CVT, they were extending my warranty on the transmission to 100K miles. 

Of course I experienced no problem but it was interesting that at least Nissan put their money where their mouth was.  I don't believe the are a miracle device, but I do like them.

Here is an interesting video:

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, janice6 said:

I get a car every three years. Mostly they have been Nissans.

Every one has had a CVT transmission. I was wary but over the years and many cars, I now like them better than standard design transmissions.

I have had no problems from them, but as I said, I only keep them three years so take that for what it's worth.

I do find that they are consistently quicker in acceleration and have little perception of gear changes.  

I do like the fact that if I'm coming to a light and at the last minute it changes Green, I use a little accelerator and there is no noticible surge due to shifting down and then suddenly up again.  Torque is there all the time.

I am a little heavy and quick on the throttle from a start and I get immediate response.  If I accelerate more than I should, it's quick smooth and constant acceleration with no notice of lag or surge from one gear to another.

A couple of cars ago Nissan mailed me a notice that because some customers were wary of the CVT, they were extending my warranty on the transmission to 100K miles. 

Of course I experienced no problem but it was interesting that at least Nissan put their money where their mouth was.  I don't believe the are a miracle device, but I do like them.

Here is an interesting video:

I wanted to see a movie. lol

• Haha 1

We have a 2017 cr-v with the naturally aspirated engine, has about 27k miles on it, while it is my wife's vehicle what driving I do in it  - seems good. I did some research about the cvt trans before we bought the honda, {oh yeah! there are honda owners fourms also !} pretty much what is said is - Do the maintenance intervals, and do not over heat the trans, by overloading the vehicle, or towing large heavy stuff. 

• Like 1

From what I've read Honda and Toyota make the best CVT's. I'd be wary of any CVT if I was planning on putting a lot of miles on it. I'm not against extended warranties. I'd get one if I bought a CVT. If they fail they are very expensive to replace. 

• Like 1