Something to think about

gwalchmai

I was out in the back forty yesterday shooting my S&W 65. I had some old handloads I'd done years ago, 158gr SWCs over 9.5gr of Blue Dot. This is an entry hole in an aluminum soda can that was empty when I shot it. I usually get a .357" inch entry wound but these are approaching 3/4". I don't know why, but it's kinda cool.

IMG_1851.JPG

• Like 3

What velocity are you getting with the Blue Dot?

maybe the lead is “grabbing” the can on entry more than a wad utter or jacketed bullet. Any lead marks on the inside of the entry hole?

you didn’t say what range you were shooting but... nice shooting

• Like 1

These rounds were fairly hot. Maybe 1250 fps. No marks on the can. Maybe they were "grabbing". They're cast LSWCs. I suspect it has to do with the aluminum being so thin that it's tearing around the boolit. I bet they'd be spectacular if filled with water.

I was at about 15 yards (but the cans weren't shooting back...  :supergrin:)

• Like 1

That can could have been a contender.

It could have been something.

:sigh:

I enjoyed working .44 Remington Magnum loads.

Didn't always enjoy shooting them, but the range of performance you can get with magnum loads, from pew pew to holy crapoly made them a favorite of mine.

NB does your back 40 have a tiny satanic altar?

Edited by tous
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tous said:

That can could have been a contender.

It could have been something.

:sigh:

I enjoyed working .44 Remington Magnum loads.

Didn't always enjoy shooting them, but the range of performance you can get with magnum loads, from pew pew to holy crapoly made them a favorite of mine.

NB does your back 40 have a tint satanic altar?

+1 on the .44, and I enjoy .45 Colt, as well. It can exceed the .44 Mag with lower pressure (if you'd want to).

We have no altar, but we do have some razed chicken coops. ?

• Like 2

I was out in the back forty yesterday shooting my S&W 65. I had some old handloads I'd done years ago, 158gr SWCs over 9.5gr of Blue Dot. This is an entry hole in an aluminum soda can that was empty when I shot it. I usually get a .357" inch entry wound but these are approaching 3/4". I don't know why, but it's kinda cool.

IMG_1851.thumb.JPG.cd520e4a146ab354b68b6951e69bbac2.JPG

Maybe I don’t know what I think I know, but those look like exit holes to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Maybe I don’t know what I think I know, but those look like exit holes to me.

The lower center one is an entrance hole. Its exit, which you can't see, is consistent with the exit on the left side. Note how the edges of the hole go into the can.

Note also the "shrapnel" holes. I assume they're from fragments blown off the can.

Edited by gwalchmai
  • Thanks 1

44 and 357 are favorites to hand load 
I only have one 45 colt, so I haven’t done much with it anymore. But I used to

FWIW Ruger made two versions of its Vaquero.

The first one played off the Super Blackhawk frame dimensions. It included 44 magnum as an option. Cowboy action shooters grumbled about it because it is larger than the Colt Peacemaker and its clones.

The second version, called New Vaquero, was based on the Blackhawk frame and generally matched Peacemaker dimensions. It did not include 44 magnum as an option.

I have heard that the Super Blackhawk came into existence because proof testing Blackhawks in 44 magnum blew some up.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

The first one played off the Super Blackhawk frame dimensions. It included 44 magnum as an option. Cowboy action shooters grumbled about it because it is larger than the Colt Peacemaker and its clones.

The second version, called New Vaquero, was based on the Blackhawk frame and generally matched Peacemaker dimensions. It did not include 44 magnum as an option.

I have heard that the Super Blackhawk came into existence because proof testing Blackhawks in 44 magnum blew some up.

My sole remaining single action Ruger

its heavy, it isn’t for carry. But it’s no safe queen

(And it hasn’t been this clean since)

BC177263-3F2B-4EC3-9BEB-1BDF782E6DBB.jpeg.0d9d063103aa7b62c2311e84c615d51f.jpeg53D19156-A314-48D6-AF10-7D8507E935C1.jpeg.76110d22e8bbc50325e150d4da85ac91.jpegE2B62CCA-F782-4F0A-A319-B8F9C5A70AFB.jpeg.70a734fb4f302aae562b70a2a8cf9511.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

I tested my zesty .44 Remington Magnum hand loads in either my Redhawk or Super Blackhawk before I even thought about shooting them in my 629.

I depended on the Rugers not coming apart if I got a little too eager with the W296 and they never did.

Edited by tous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 9:44 PM, Dric902 said:

My sole remaining single action Ruger

its heavy, it isn’t for carry. But it’s no safe queen

(And it hasn’t been this clean since)

BC177263-3F2B-4EC3-9BEB-1BDF782E6DBB.jpeg.0d9d063103aa7b62c2311e84c615d51f.jpeg53D19156-A314-48D6-AF10-7D8507E935C1.jpeg.76110d22e8bbc50325e150d4da85ac91.jpegE2B62CCA-F782-4F0A-A319-B8F9C5A70AFB.jpeg.70a734fb4f302aae562b70a2a8cf9511.jpeg

Dric902:

Beautiful hand cannon.  I have its shorter barreled retro version- and love shooting mid-range reloads in it.

-steve

ss ruger new vaquero 44mag.jpg

• Like 3