A Christmas Story and My Mom

DrB

Many years ago my mom lived about two hours away from a whole bunch of us young ones like me she knew and about the same distance away.  A few times a year we would would all migrate there, play cards drink and hang out for the weekend.  This was long before concealed carry was legal in the state.  Her rule was that any firearms had to be put on the top of the refrigerator when we all arrived.  Of course there were none there but it sure was piled up with a bunch of things.  You know cookies and stuff we all brought.

Anyhow it was Christmas Eve and Mom had to go out.  She was not in the best of moods this Christmas Had no decorations or anything.  After she left the plan hatched. Young minds at work.

We drove to one place one of us lived and cut down this old scrubby piece of crap tree in his yard.  Half dead not many branches with somewhat brown needles.  There were a few green branches in the mix though. This thing looked like total crap.

Took it back to her house rounded up old crap decorations and lights from wherever we could find.  Got it all set up in her kitchen..  Ok... there was some copious alcohol along with this event.  We were young.

We had just sat down laughing, drinking and dealing cards when she came back  I mean this thing looked like a refugee from the dump.  Brought tears to her eyes and joy when she walked in the house and saw that tree.  It made her night...

She kept that tree devoid of needles and such and set it up for many years afterward.  Said it was her Charlie Brown Christmas Tree...

Those are the kinds of memories you never forget.....

Dave..

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Huaco Kid said:

Every year,  when we were very little,  Mom would always take us to the barn at midnight to hear the animals talk.

I don't think they ever talked.

But we gave them carrots and apples  and hay.

And stayed for a while.

It's what I remember.

I have found that animals want attention too.  Just like most people, they want someone to care for them. 

I greet animals in any household I enter.  They are sentient beings and know when you care for them.

It doesn't matter what you say or do, it's just important to them to have someone care.  They know!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok here is the Tree so far for my mom kinda like I remember we made for her...  Got to fix it up a little bit more..  I can't wait until she sees it. 

One cool tree here......

Dave...

Tree1.jpg

Tree2.jpg

Edited by DrB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Love it.

Thank's.  My Mom will, smile, laugh, and cry all at the same time.  She will remember that long gone tree...

One woman I sent a picture of the tree replied. She said "That's One Awesome Tree, I like".....

Dave....

• Thanks 1

Well my mom liked the tree.  She thanked me because it remembered the tree we did before.  Sat in the room,silent looking at the tree, while I was cooking dinner.   Mission accomplished on my part...  I was happy that I did as I could see her in thought while she sat, watching the tree.

A good Christmas for me for doing this...

Dave..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1