Ruger Vaquero Bisley .44 Mag - new base pin

SC Tiger

I bought a new base pin for my Vaquero and it came in Friday.  This thing is TIGHT!!!!  It's oversized and it barely fits in the revolver.  The main issue was the hole at the back of the frame is either slightly undersized or off from the front hole by just a hair.

Now - the instructions say that if it won't fit, to ream out the holes in the frame.  I've never been a fan of modifying a working firearm for a new part, so instead I used a Worksharp to turn down the back of the pin ever so slightly until it fit.  It's tight, but it fits.  I may need to turn it down a little more because at present I can't get it out without pliers.  And that does WONDERS for the finish on it.  It fits the cylinder well - it may could even be a hair larger for the cylinder but I'd then have to modify the frame and as stated above I don't want to do that.  

My logic was a) I don't have reamers and b) if I ruin the pin, I'm out ~$35,  If I ruin the frame, crap.

Bonus is that if I get it right, the pin is now removable without taking the ejector rod off.  The old pin won't allow that - the head is too long.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

The rule is to fit the part to gun, not fit the gun to the part. Sand down the sight, not the dovetail, etc.9AA141A7-4C98-4654-83F1-5A87E164DF82.jpeg.4d18b624b033c56f878b089397268c8f.jpeg

01C86648-203F-4C14-973F-82C84D243DB1.jpeg.20acc40d4e67fd2a7763c421132df41d.jpeg
I used a Belt Mountain pin on this one (used to be a Super Blackhawk)

Nice rig.  I kinda wish I'd have gone with a Super Blackhawk over the Vaquero but I think the Vaq was a lot cheaper at the time.  They don't make it anymore.  The new Vaq is a .45LC or .357 Mag only.

I want to get it sighted in which will involve filing down the front sight, but I want to do everything else possible first.  That means accurize it as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Valmet said:

Bet you can feel it when you light the candle on that thing...

Favorite load so far is 240 gr. bullet in front of 23 grains of H110.  

When it fires, you notice.

Playing with a load using 2400 to see if it brings up the POI.  If that doesn't work I may try a lighter bullet.

2 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Favorite load so far is 240 gr. bullet in front of 23 grains of H110.  

When it fires, you notice.

Playing with a load using 2400 to see if it brings up the POI.  If that doesn't work I may try a lighter bullet.

200 grn and 10 grn of Unique stack up real nice in this one.

Nice rig.  I kinda wish I'd have gone with a Super Blackhawk over the Vaquero but I think the Vaq was a lot cheaper at the time.  They don't make it anymore.  The new Vaq is a .45LC or .357 Mag only.
I want to get it sighted in which will involve filing down the front sight, but I want to do everything else possible first.  That means accurize it as much as possible.

The “New Vaquero” is based on the original Blackhawk frame, which Ruger decided was too small for the .44 magnum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Dric902 said:

The rule is to fit the part to gun, not fit the gun to the part. Sand down the sight, not the dovetail, etc.9AA141A7-4C98-4654-83F1-5A87E164DF82.jpeg.4d18b624b033c56f878b089397268c8f.jpeg

01C86648-203F-4C14-973F-82C84D243DB1.jpeg.20acc40d4e67fd2a7763c421132df41d.jpeg
I used a Belt Mountain pin on this one (used to be a Super Blackhawk)

that is a really pretty gun.

those Bright accents really make it pop.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

i may not be too much help i did`nt own my Vaq very long and never modified it or worked on it,but are you sure its not a tapered pin?

and the pin is easily replaceable,the frame of the Gin is not.

my .2

Good Luck

It wasn't to start with.  I may have PUT a slight taper on it...... :anim_lol:

But the worksharp is good for this sort of thing because it removes metal in very, very small amounts.  I used the fine-grit belt (the grey one).

Agreed on frame vs pin.  That's why I approached it the way I did.  Worst case - I can put the stock pin back in it.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

It wasn't to start with.  I may have PUT a slight taper on it...... :anim_lol:

But the worksharp is good for this sort of thing because it removes metal in very, very small amounts.  I used the fine-grit belt (the grey one).

Agreed on frame vs pin.  That's why I approached it the way I did.  Worst case - I can put the stock pin back in it.

i used my Ken Onion edition to take a burr off one in my AR when i had no disks for my Dremel,glad i`m not the only one.

don`t tell Ken.....

4 hours ago, Borg warner said:

Right. I'd be taking off that bird's head grip and putting on a Bisley grip if it were my gun

Firm grip, but  you’ve got to let it roll up some. Put your pinky under the grip helps as well

not a fast follow up gun for sure