HIPPA is Dead

Apparently, without your prior authorization, or permission, a doctor can reach out to a doctor you left for their horrible service, get together and collectively decide to provide mistreatment if they choose so.  At least according to the Department of Health and Human Services.  Which means, I guess, I can go into a hospital and pick up any chart I want and read through it.  That should make investigations much easier.  Also, I guess since two doctors can dox you I can dox them without any consequences.  That is unless the 14th Amendment is dead, and some are now more equal than others.

• Like 1

Well, I guess we'll find out from the ADL, since the first jerk made Anti-Semitic comments to me in my daughter's presence.  Oh, and since they didn't give a cause for not enforcing the HIPPA violation I also turned it over to the DOJ Civil Rights commission for violating my 14th Amendment Rights under the color of law.  Let's see, next is probably the AG now, and the Governor.  Our governor is also handicapped.  I am in pain, pissed off, and sleep deprived.  So, I am going to light the world on fire with complaints until something is actually done.  If all the above fail, I will just have to sue under Bivens.  

Edited by Moshe
  • Sad 2

• 2 months later...

I don't think HIPAA is dead.  It's just that too many people sign the statement at their doctors office giving their doctor carte blanche to do anything they want with your data.  They want to sell it to Google and Facebook, they now have permission.

Providers encourage patients to sign it because it makes their job easier, they don't have to filter your stuff out of the rest.  When I chose not to sign it, I had a bitch at my doctors office tell me "everybody else just signs it".  "I'm not everybody else".  "Didn't your mother ask if everybody else jumps off a cliff, would you"?  I notice every year, I have to fill that form out again.  It's almost like they are hoping I will change my mind, or it's just harassment.  A lot of people just don't seem to understand what can become of it all, and none of us really know how far it can go once it takes off.

My supervisor once had his doctor say "Your A1C is high" during a physical.  He started getting stuff about diabetes management and was offended.  Now he wants to be a highly followed Amazon product reviewer, so he is all for being tracked.  He has turned off all tracking protections on his cell phone and has opened himself up.  All that because he is insecure, and needs to feel important.

When millions of people go in that direction, it makes it hard on the rest of us to stay out of it.

My next cell phone will be a Samsung.  They are not Google or Apple, and from what I've read, the only tracking is the must do stuff like keeping contacts, and what apps track.  The user can control apps.  They are a product company, not a data company.  Yet.

And now we are upon the end of support for Windows 7, and Windows 10 sounds like Trackamania.

Edited by PPQer
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...
On 1/9/2020 at 5:27 PM, windowasher said:

What I don't understand is why my nurse or Med Tech can't tell me what my blood pressure numbers are because of HIPAA, but the receptionist out front asking you to call out your date of birth or SS number in front of the packed waiting room is OK?

Repeated for emphasis. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 5:27 PM, windowasher said:

What I don't understand is why my nurse or Med Tech can't tell me what my blood pressure numbers are because of HIPAA, but the receptionist out front asking you to call out your date of birth or SS number in front of the packed waiting room is OK?

Stupidity, in both cases.  However, having said that...I was never a fan of HIPPA; good intentions or not it was abused to the point of ludicrous-ity.  If it is dead, I won't miss it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, Sparks said:

I cracked a joke with my old doctor about being afraid of needles, and my new doctor said it was in my medical file.

I hope they don't record everything.  I asked my wife's doctor at the last visit to put her on birth control!  The doctor looked at me and left the room!

What!  I'm fun!

• Like 1

IMHO HIPPA was a joke to begin with. It rattles sabers about protecting privacy, but in reality there's no such thing. Filling out the state form for biannual nursing license renewal, the number of personal and medical questions got me thinking. I phoned the state nursing authority and was informed that everything on the renewal form was a PUBLIC RECORD!

The state board of nursing sold my information and that explained a good deal of targeted advertising I got. I was told many if not all states do this. So I pay them to renew my license, and they then sell my records without my knowledge or permission for additional payment.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Paul53 said:

IMHO HIPPA was a joke to begin with. It rattles sabers about protecting privacy, but in reality there's no such thing. Filling out the state form for biannual nursing license renewal, the number of personal and medical questions got me thinking. I phoned the state nursing authority and was informed that everything on the renewal form was a PUBLIC RECORD!

The state board of nursing sold my information and that explained a good deal of targeted advertising I got. I was told many if not all states do this. So I pay them to renew my license, and they then sell my records without my knowledge or permission for additional payment.

My state does this with their drivers license info also.

When I first got my license at 16 years old, the clerk knew my father and he had the same name as I do.  So the clerk, on her on volition, added "Jr." to my application.  

So all the crap mail I get that used the state license information comes with "Jr." on my name.

For the last 40 years, I didn't give a *hit before that, I have intermittently tried to get it changed, including copies of my Birth Certificate, and the state refuses to change it.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, janice6 said:

My state does this with their drivers license info also.

When I first got my license at 16 years old, the clerk knew my father and he had the same name as I do.  So the clerk, on her on volition, added "Jr." to my application.  

So all the crap mail I get that used the state license information comes with "Jr." on my name.

For the last 40 years, I didn't give a *hit before that, I have intermittently tried to get it changed, including copies of my Birth Certificate, and the state refuses to change it.

Just gotta say it.  

There are no Sr. suffix unless the father changes his name after the birth of the child and it is used on official doc.  Much like a woman if she changes to use her spouses last name.

As a Jr (on my birth cert) I have gone through life using the suffix as I felt like.  When I had to fill out a certain form for the DoD I ended up with 10 - 12 aliases.  It seems like every time you have signed something official IE loan app, CC app, car titles etc. and it is not the name on your Birth Cert. you now have another alias.  This can be suffix, spell out middle name or not, shorten first name (nickname) and the list goes on.

Now Dad has passed I tend to drop the suffix.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1