so the title goes back to Bugatti for the fourth time and the top top 300 MPH

holyjohnson

That is a fast car.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/02/bugatti-300-mph-chiron-longtain-prototype-speed-record/#slide-2165626

Bugatti breaks the 300-mph barrier in a longtail Chiron prototype

It's faster than the Koenigsegg Agera RS -- and many small planes

profile_placeholder.png
Sep 2nd 2019 at 11:11AM
  • 9comments

In one fell swoop, Bugatti reclaimed the top speed crown from Koenigsegg, and became the first hypercar manufacturer to break the 300-mph barrier. Andy Wallace, the French firm's official test pilot, recently set a speed record in a purpose-built, Chiron-based prototype on the Ehra-Lessien track in Germany.

With 16 cylinders screaming in unison a foot away from his eardrums, Wallace reached 304.773 mph on Ehra-Lessien's 5.4-mile straight. To add context, the Veyron Super Sporttopped out at 267.856 mph, and the Koenigsegg Agera RS stopped accelerating at 284.550 mph. Japan's Shinkansen bullet train normally runs at about 200 mph. The record-setting Chiron is faster than many small, Cessna-like aircrafts, and it can outrun a majority of the helicopters in the skies.

Bugatti calls the record-setting car a pre-production version of a Chiron derivative. While technical details remain under wraps, we can tell its rear end has been extended in order to add downforce without creating drag. Round vents drilled into the top part of the front end reduce turbulence in the wheel wells, while peeking inside reveals a roll cage and a Sparco bucket seat for the driver. The prototype looks a little bit lower than a regular Chiron, too, but we'll have to wait until Bugatti publishes more information to find out what lies beneath the carbon fiber bodywork, and whether any of it will reach production.

Italy's Dallara helped develop the special Chiron. Michelin contributed a great deal of expertise to the project, too. It provided Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires reinforced to handle 5,300 Gs while remaining street-legal. The company went as far as sending the four tires through an X-ray machine to scan for even the smallest imperfections.

The run comes as a surprise, because the company's interest in setting speed records seemingly waned after it released the Chiron. Getting to 304 mph required a tremendous amount of effort, but Bugatti now has two additional bullet points on its resume. It's the first automaker to break the 300-mph barrier, and the Chiron stands out as the fastest car in the world. 

We expect to learn more about Bugatti's record-setting run — including what's next for the record-breaking car — in the coming weeks as the firm continues celebrating its 110th birthday. In addition to the speed record, the celebrations have so far spawned the one-offLa Voiture Noire and the limited-edition Centodieci.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Sure.  It hit 304 mph, but not one mention of its mpg!

I can't wait till the first buyer with more money than brains demonstrates his lack of driving ability, by spreading his body parts across the countryside while proving his inadequacy to all.

You are worried about gas mileage when you should be wondering how many minutes the tires are rated for at that speed and how much they cost to replace. The answers: Very few and very much. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

You are worried about gas mileage when you should be wondering how many minutes the tires are rated for at that speed and how much they cost to replace. The answers: Very few and very much. 

I suspected as much when it drove a 5 mile track.  It may have been limited to tank volume.

3 hours ago, janice6 said:

Sure.  It hit 304 mph, but not one mention of its mpg!

I can't wait till the first buyer with more money than brains demonstrates his lack of driving ability, by spreading his body parts across the countryside while proving his inadequacy to all.

the "normal" chiron,you know the basic entry level model the one that only costs $3,000,000 with an available high scale brother that averages $16.7 Million and can max out at $21,000,000 gets 11 MPG combined.

but they are only making 250 of them.

its $20,000 for a yearly service.

and $40,000 for a set of four tires every 2,500 miles,that only Bugatti can get,because they have them made for you.

Edited by holyjohnson
  • Thanks 1

Just now, holyjohnson said:

the "normal" chiron,you know the basic entry level model the one that only costs $3,000,000 with an available high scale brother that averages $16.7 Million and can max out at $21,000,000 gets 11 MPG combined.

but they are only making 250 of them.

Oh, well. I guess if that all the better the mileage is, I'll have to pass on one.  It would have been nice.

To quote from Bill Cosby of long ago, "I need it to get to work!".

• Haha 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I suspected as much when it drove a 5 mile track.  It may have been limited to tank volume.

On the Veyron, the tire life rating at top speed was something like 17 minutes, but the car would run out of gas in like 15. I might be off a little, but that is in the ballpark. The Veyron tires cost around $40K for the set. The Veyron wheels can only be reused a handful of times and then they must be replaced as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eric said:

On the Veyron, the tire life rating at top speed was something like 17 minutes, but the car would run out of gas in like 15. I might be off a little, but that is in the ballpark. The Veyron tires cost around $40K for the set. The Veyron wheels can only be reused a handful of times and then they must be replaced as well.

Ya got's ta be a masochist, but to each his own.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Every decision and action "I" make is of course, irreproachable.  I try to be humble to my flock.

I’ve owned three ZX14s, two Z06s and a variety of other really fast conveyances. Speed is my kryptonite. If I had Veyron money though, I’d probably buy another Vette and another ZX14. And a couple of houses.  Nice ones.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Eric said:

I’ve owned three ZX14s, two Z06s and a variety of other really fast conveyances. Speed is my kryptonite. 

I went for muscle cars for  a while.  One day in a 90 mph four wheel drift from the freeway up the exit ramp during evening rush hour traffic, it occurred to me that a person could get killed this way.

I started buying neat looking cars but with less potential. I always drove them to the edge.  I had to start pulling in the edge somewhat with less potential.

Some things I can't be trusted with.  When I bought my last boat I specified that It had to be stable when airborne.  I proved it a few times on the Mississippi river while passing big houseboats.

I have since sold the boat to my son.  He's a chip off the old block, unfortunately.

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I went for muscle cars for  a while.  One day in a 90 mph four wheel drift from the freeway up the exit ramp during evening rush hour traffic, it occurred to me that a person could get killed this way.

I started buying neat looking cars but with less potential. I always drove them to the edge.  I had to start pulling in the edge somewhat with less potential.

Some things I can't be trusted with.  When I bought my last boat I specified that It had to be stable when airborne.  I proved it a few times on the Mississippi river while passing big houseboats.

I have since sold the boat to my son.  He's a chip off the old block, unfortunately.

The last boat I owned:

6B83B4FF-2D67-4802-8706-262E219D7402.jpeg.2a3cfed34eda4ab08096c38e026bad73.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

HA! you're no better than I am...…….. :anim_rofl2:

I had to stay with a deep V since I always stayed on the water until the storm made me leave.

The transom on this thing was only eight inches above the water. If you cut the throttle too suddenly, your own wake would swamp you. It had a big gas pedal, shaped like a big chrome foot and it was fast as hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eric said:

The transom on this thing was only eight inches above the water. If you cut the throttle too suddenly, your own wake would swamp you. It had a big gas pedal, shaped like a big chrome foot and it was fast as hell.

I used to do hard circles at full throttle and see how deep a hole I could make, I had the same problem when I back off on it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, janice6 said:

I used to do hard circles at full throttle and see how deep a hole I could make, I had the same problem when I back off on it.

I’ve found that the deepest hole most people make for themselves, in a fast boat, is about six feet deep. If they find you. 

• Haha 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Silentpoet said:

I did some checking and they aren't near as expensive as the veyron tires, but still more than I want to spend.

Yeah, the ones for the new car aren’t hand-built.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric said:

On the Veyron, the tires were good for 15 sustained minutes at top speed.  But that wasn't an issue.

Because you'd run out of gas in 9 minutes.

• Thanks 1