so the title goes back to Bugatti for the fourth time and the top top 300 MPH

holyjohnson

15 hours ago, Eric said:

On the Veyron, the tire life rating at top speed was something like 17 minutes, but the car would run out of gas in like 15. I might be off a little, but that is in the ballpark. The Veyron tires cost around $40K for the set. The Veyron wheels can only be reused a handful of times and then they must be replaced as well.

I think the wheels were supposed to be changed every 3-4 tire sets.

And if Bugatti didn't like you or what you did or how you got your money, they won't sell you one I believe.

20 hours ago, holyjohnson said:

That is a fast car.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/09/02/bugatti-300-mph-chiron-longtain-prototype-speed-record/#slide-2165626

Bugatti breaks the 300-mph barrier in a longtail Chiron prototype

It's faster than the Koenigsegg Agera RS -- and many small planes

profile_placeholder.png
Sep 2nd 2019 at 11:11AM
  • 9comments

In one fell swoop, Bugatti reclaimed the top speed crown from Koenigsegg, and became the first hypercar manufacturer to break the 300-mph barrier. Andy Wallace, the French firm's official test pilot, recently set a speed record in a purpose-built, Chiron-based prototype on the Ehra-Lessien track in Germany.

With 16 cylinders screaming in unison a foot away from his eardrums, Wallace reached 304.773 mph on Ehra-Lessien's 5.4-mile straight. To add context, the Veyron Super Sporttopped out at 267.856 mph, and the Koenigsegg Agera RS stopped accelerating at 284.550 mph. Japan's Shinkansen bullet train normally runs at about 200 mph. The record-setting Chiron is faster than many small, Cessna-like aircrafts, and it can outrun a majority of the helicopters in the skies.

Bugatti calls the record-setting car a pre-production version of a Chiron derivative. While technical details remain under wraps, we can tell its rear end has been extended in order to add downforce without creating drag. Round vents drilled into the top part of the front end reduce turbulence in the wheel wells, while peeking inside reveals a roll cage and a Sparco bucket seat for the driver. The prototype looks a little bit lower than a regular Chiron, too, but we'll have to wait until Bugatti publishes more information to find out what lies beneath the carbon fiber bodywork, and whether any of it will reach production.

Italy's Dallara helped develop the special Chiron. Michelin contributed a great deal of expertise to the project, too. It provided Pilot Cup Sport 2 tires reinforced to handle 5,300 Gs while remaining street-legal. The company went as far as sending the four tires through an X-ray machine to scan for even the smallest imperfections.

The run comes as a surprise, because the company's interest in setting speed records seemingly waned after it released the Chiron. Getting to 304 mph required a tremendous amount of effort, but Bugatti now has two additional bullet points on its resume. It's the first automaker to break the 300-mph barrier, and the Chiron stands out as the fastest car in the world. 

We expect to learn more about Bugatti's record-setting run — including what's next for the record-breaking car — in the coming weeks as the firm continues celebrating its 110th birthday. In addition to the speed record, the celebrations have so far spawned the one-offLa Voiture Noire and the limited-edition Centodieci.

Kinda surprised Bugatti did that.  The Veyron set the 267 mph record as a fully street-ready car with AC, stereo, leather, the works.  

My guess is that they will be producing a model of the Chiron similar to what they used for the record - though likely without the roll cage.

3 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Kinda surprised Bugatti did that.  The Veyron set the 267 mph record as a fully street-ready car with AC, stereo, leather, the works.  

My guess is that they will be producing a model of the Chiron similar to what they used for the record - though likely without the roll cage.

Advertising to say the "first to 300 MPH" and this is actually a production car.

consumers like a nice round number and this is the last time,Bugatti has said 300 is it for chasing the records.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Presguy said:

Don't they also suggest x-raying the wheels every other tire change or something like that, to look for hidden damage?

I hadn’t heard that, but it wouldn’t surprise me. There is s How It’s Made Supercar Edition episode about the making of the Veyron. Some amazing engineering went into it. 

5 hours ago, Eric said:

I hadn’t heard that, but it wouldn’t surprise me. There is s How It’s Made Supercar Edition episode about the making of the Veyron. Some amazing engineering went into it. 

Supposedly they wanted to use Sauber Petronas' (the F1 team) wind tunnel.  But Sauber said "Sorry, but our wind tunnel won't simulate going that fast."

(F1 cars top out at around 205 mph).

7 hours ago, blueiron said:

Nice technological feat, but it's an auto for the very few elite collectors. Driving it will degrade the value of it, so few will ever drive them much past several hundred miles.

There was a Veyron for sale, new, in New Jersey in around 2015 that was a 2011 model.  Apparently they finally sold it but it must have sat for a while.   But the paint job was hideous - tan with a light electric blue on the fenders.

But I think Bugatti will only sell you a car if you meet their approval.  I can't find a reference to that anywhere though.

Just now, janice6 said:

Gas is power.  The more power, the more gas it takes.

Not counting acceleration, that 9 minutes will get you 40 miles.  More boom, more speed.

I think Nitromethane (used in top fuel dragsters) actually has less caloric energy, but it works like gunpowder in that it releases oxygen when it ignites.  Therefore it makes it's own oxygen.  The result is you can get more oxygen into the cylinder and a bigger boom.  Apparently it's easier to dump in more fuel than to use a higher-energy fuel and get the appropriate amount of oxygen to it.  Supposedly a top fuel dragster has a fuel line the size of a fire hose and can burn 15 gallons in a run.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

Not counting acceleration, that 9 minutes will get you 40 miles.  More boom, more speed.

I think Nitromethane (used in top fuel dragsters) actually has less caloric energy, but it works like gunpowder in that it releases oxygen when it ignites.  Therefore it makes it's own oxygen.  The result is you can get more oxygen into the cylinder and a bigger boom.  Apparently it's easier to dump in more fuel than to use a higher-energy fuel and get the appropriate amount of oxygen to it.  Supposedly a top fuel dragster has a fuel line the size of a fire hose and can burn 15 gallons in a run.

Yep!  Nothing is free!