Any railroad enthusiasts?

OwlsNest465

Dealing with flood water.
61522598_2388726611170877_4725683117707231232_o.thumb.jpg.bc3bf34d71d810164c7fea2e9b037e41.jpg61512738_2388728301170708_8470941964718571520_o.thumb.jpg.f915ca55e02f11663e3b2a717cf41072.jpg61650512_2388728674504004_7592585105026056192_o.thumb.jpg.f08923f29e6af07e1f331f5dd3cff22d.jpg

When steam locomotives were routinely available for service, floodwaters were less of a problem. The steam locomotive could ease the train through water deep enough to short out the axle hung electric motors on diesel locomotives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

My oldest daughter loves the real thing.  Soooo, we will find out tomorrow if she will be going to the kettlebell world championship in Serbia this fall... there is a train we can take from one side of the country to the other, and see it all, in a day... so, if she gets to go, she gets to do that.  I think that might be fun...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I spent 42 years building railroad bridges across seven states. I worked the floods of 1993 in Missouri and the floods of 1998 in Kansas, When I first started we rehabbed a lot of timber trestle bridges then started replacing them with steel pile /  precast concrete span bridges. We rehabbed steel thru truss bridges as well as thru  girder and deck girder spans. Here are a few pictures of a project we did replacing a timber trestle with precast concrete spans. This was a double track bridge and so as we did one side,they ran trains at reduced speed on the other track. 

A1FyCY.jpg  

LjyDhk.jpg  

LjyDhk.jpg 

CCAveU.jpg
wOJmUH.jpg

srxLlq.jpg
7Nofyx.jpg

Edited by G21H30
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, G21H30 said:

I spent 42 years building railroad bridges across seven states. I worked the floods of 1993 in Missouri and the floods of 1998 in Kansas, When I first started we rehabbed a lot of timber trestle bridges then started replacing them with steel pile /  precast concrete span bridges. We rehabbed steel thru truss bridges as well as thru  girder and deck girder spans. Here are a few pictures of a project we did replacing a timber trestle with precast concrete spans. This was a double track bridge and so as we did one side,they ran trains at reduced speed on the other track.  

Great pictures, I watched a lot of the rebuilding of the local RR bridge over the Mississippi River in 2013.  It was a massive job bringing in huge spans by barge and lifting everything into place.   They replaced the old rotating span with a lift bridge which made it safer for the barges to pass.  

066491pv.jpg.941dc5a631b41114394e77792efece66.jpg

1096709997_Thebridgesliftspanin2013.JPG.6725333359865a837b6c86ceeb49ad51.JPG

burlrr10.jpg.5dad800bbc7e2b810acae2d44a9df769.jpg

The original bridge was built shortly after the Civil War and updated several times.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't locate my picture of the bridge construction but this site has a lot of good pictures if you scroll down.

https://www.alamy.com/construction-of-the-bnsf-vertical-lift-railroad-bridge-between-burlington-iowa-and-gulfport-illinois-image234418990.html

One doesn't realize the size till you look at the men.

347167927_Screenshot_2019-06-09StockPhoto-ConstructionoftheBNSFverticalliftrailroadbridgebetweenBurlingtonIowaandGul....png.66f59ee979b678c9b068015ed1751ecf.png

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

I couldn't locate my picture of the bridge construction but this site has a lot of good pictures if you scroll down.

https://www.alamy.com/construction-of-the-bnsf-vertical-lift-railroad-bridge-between-burlington-iowa-and-gulfport-illinois-image234418990.html

It's not a well known or talked about subject but after our structures personal completed that bridge a outside demolition company was hired to remove the old center pivot pier. They drilled and charged the pier and set it off in a controlled explosive demolition. The only problem was that they didn't take into full consideration that the pier itself was surrounded by steel interlocking sheet piling and when they set off the explosives it resulted in a lot of the debris to be forced upward instead of outward and down which damaged the new bridge. At one time I had pictures of the damage,but I don't know if I still have them now. I've have traveled over the old bridge a few times,but never worked on that area of the railroad.I did however work on the rehabilitation of the Hannibal Bridge at Kansas City,MO for a period of three years (on and off) which was a truss bridge with a swing span built in 1917.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, G21H30 said:

It's not a well known or talked about subject but after our structures personal completed that bridge a outside demolition company was hired to remove the old center pivot pier. They drilled and charged the pier and set it off in a controlled explosive demolition. The only problem was that they didn't take into full consideration that the pier itself was surrounded by steel interlocking sheet piling and when they set off the explosives it resulted in a lot of the debris to be forced upward instead of outward and down which damaged the new bridge. At one time I had pictures of the damage,but I don't know if I still have them now. I've have traveled over the old bridge a few times,but never worked on that area of the railroad.I did however work on the rehabilitation of the Hannibal Bridge at Kansas City,MO for a period of three years (on and off) which was a truss bridge with a swing span built in 1917.

Thanks, yes I have heard about the piling explosion fiasco.  On a side note, one of the guys that goes to the same gym I use is a one of the current bridge tenders.  It's got to be a boring job at times but he has some interesting stories to tell.

• Like 1

0edb3f3d161e5ff177adb5d9d0fdbc52.jpg

A most unusual style of railroad and monorail. I have read that a replica of this long gone monorail has been built. The replica locomotive is steam outline and looks like the original but has internal combustion power hidden inside.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While I don't consider myself an enthusiast per se, I do appreciate RR history and have done the train trips in Cass, WV with the family and have enjoyed that. I've also done plenty of reading/research about the Mine Wars in Appalachia and visited the Southern WV coalfields several times and the railroad was so essential to that place and time. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

G gauge/scale snowplows in full size snow.

They put a lot of work into that

the real ones can usually be pushed with two six axles. We have a plow and two snow jets where I work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 7-1/4, 7-1/2 inch gauge trains can use a rotary plow effectively. It would be about the size of gasoline sidewalk/driveway plows. The G gauge 1-3/4” ones as in the video are limited because snow doesn’t scale down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1