The Mouse that Roared

railfancwb

My daughter is a commercial artist and was in a group from her company negotiating the use of Disney Characters for products for her company.

She said the Disney business people were real hard asses on negotiating.  They also held exclusive rights to pre-approve all my daughters company's depictions of the Disney characters.  This was quite a sticky point in the process.   All depictions by the company had to be sent to Disney for approval before put into production.

During the negotiations, my daughter was asked what her perceptions of a character (Winnie The Pooh) was.  She has loved the character since her childhood.  So she told Disney how she viewed the character.

At that point, Disney company made my daughter the sole approval for the depiction of their characters by her company.  They said she actually understood their view of the art.  If the artwork met her standards, it was OK by them.  I was quite proud of her for this.  Her company was surprised at the least.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

My daughter is a commercial artist and was in a group from her company negotiating the use of Disney Characters for products for her company.

She said the Disney business people were real hard asses on negotiating.  They also held exclusive rights to pre-approve all my daughters company's depictions of the Disney characters.  This was quite a sticky point in the process.   All depictions by the company had to be sent to Disney for approval before put into production.

During the negotiations, my daughter was asked what her perceptions of a character (Winnie The Pooh) was.  She has loved the character since her childhood.  So she told Disney how she viewed the character.

At that point, Disney company made my daughter the sole approval for the depiction of their characters by her company.  They said she actually understood their view of the art.  If the artwork met her standards, it was OK by them.  I was quite proud of her for this.  Her company was surprised at the least.

So would something like this get approved?

rat_fink_2_print_cut_1200x1200.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bill Watterson steadfastly refused any selling/marketing of Calvin & Hobbes because he said he saw how they whored Garfield into a pure profit machine,  and he didn't want to degrade his artwork or the philosophy he built into it.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Huaco Kid said:

Bill Watterson steadfastly refused any selling/marketing of Calvin & Hobbes because he said he saw how they whored Garfield into a pure profit machine,  and he didn't want to degrade his artwork or the philosophy he built into it.

Have to admire a person for his convictions.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:00 PM, railfancwb said:

https://banyanhill.com/how-mickey-mouse-financed-disneys-future/

Will Disney go back to Congress for another copyright extension to protect Mickey et al?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They have decided that this is their business.  I wouldn't be surprised for them to try to keep their cash cow.