Why I don't like Apple stuff

gwalchmai

Several days ago I thought I'd export my iPhone contacts to a CSV and merge them into my email address book and wind up with a consistent dB on both. Easy-peasy, right? Ten minute job, right? Still haven't figured it out.

While looking for solutions I ran into this guy, who summarizes my feelings. I have an iPhone now, and have for years, but once it's out of contract I won't have another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrYOWlKJ_g

• Like 2

Honestly, my main reason I will not use them is the stigma of entitled ******* I attach to everything apple.  It is second only to prius for me.  I have plenty of friends that use iphones I just can't stand what I think the Apple brand stand for.  They are also behind Samsung, and other android phones.  Samsung had NFC, NFC pay, and was waterproof way before apple but only the iphone having it made the news.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Several days ago I thought I'd export my iPhone contacts to a CSV and merge them into my email address book and wind up with a consistent dB on both. Easy-peasy, right? Ten minute job, right? Still haven't figured it out.

While looking for solutions I ran into this guy, who summarizes my feelings. I have an iPhone now, and have for years, but once it's out of contract I won't have another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfrYOWlKJ_g

Here's another video of that guy...  Basically -as you just said- Apple builds "stuff".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1487&v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Edited by Glocks4Freedom

2 hours ago, Glocks4Freedom said:

Here's another video of that guy...  Basically -as you just said- Apple builds "stuff".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1487&v=AUaJ8pDlxi8

Yeah, he has a repair shop in NYC and works on Apple stuff. Seems real smart and is very outspoken. It's refreshing to see I'm not the only person who gets frustrated at Apple's way of doing things. I've used every version of Windows that's come out, a good many Linuxes, and IOS. I just can't understand why Apple takes all the easy stuff that we've been doing forever and makes it so cumbersome.

wife likes hers,  i ******* hate it ,  droid all the way ,    i do not like proprietary   stuff,  i like to put on and take off what i want on anything .  alot of people also think iphones are exclusively in usa  when they are made in china .  

few years ago i tried an apple  mostly for face time with my daughter in florida ,  til i found out droid  had a similar app called duo  something , i was playing around and said im  gonna take a hammer and cream this phone , she did not believe me ,  phone is gone now 

42 minutes ago, KWalrad said:

Yeah. Apple can bite me. I've got almost 300GB of music on iTunes, but I can't figure out how to access it because I don't recall the password and the email account tied to it is long defunct. And I'm lazy.

Actually, I may can help. Try looking in c:\users\<username>\music\itunes\itunes media\music

your songs should be in folders there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, G19 DB said:

Don't like apple either.  Just their proprietary chargers are a PITA.  I'm too cheap (frugal) to spend that kind of $$ on their products.

same here , their stuff is so over priced  and like i said earlier  proprietary  things i dont like or buy ,  its a good business to make things that are like that where people will have to buy

their ****  but they can suck it ,  and every iphone my wife has had  battery life sucks ,  my motorola droid maxx  can go 3 to 4 days with out a charge and alot of times i hear  " wheres your phone mine is dead lol " 

Edited by ASH

I’ve got an iPhone 6s. It’s company issued so it has stuff on it that the IT people put on it. I can add apps to it as well. This is the only smart phone I have experience with so I can’t compare or complain. As stated above I can’t leave home without a cable. 

OK, I'm gonna take a minute and try to approach this logically. I may fail.

I am on my 2nd (3rd) iPhone. I got a 5 bout 4 years ago. It was OK until it started having issues with the volume buttons. I took it to the Apple store and the Genius there diagnosed it as being "bent" due to me carrying it in my back pocket. I considered that a problem caused by me but the Genius said it was a "known issue" and replaced the phone for free. When the contract ran out Verizon let me upgrade to a 64GB 5se with a (company) contract extension of 2 years, which will be up in March or so.

I use the phone for phone calls, music, podcasts, and Wayz. It's been OK except for the occasional WTF moments such as transferring files to my PC, which drives me batty. As others have mentioned, if you're a complete computer newb you can exist in the Apple ecosystem, but if you attempt to integrate your iPhone into your pre-existing PC ecosystem you'll soon find that everything you know is wrong. And I'm just too old to make that leap.

Back when giants roamed the Earth I learned about computers from a programmer's viewpoint. As a result I kinda see all computing operations as "open a file, get data, operate on the data, write the results back to a file". That level of abstraction is awkward in SteveJobsLand, but it seems to work OK in DOSLand, WindowsLand, LinuxLand, AndroidLand, and every other system I've used (JCL anyone?). Therefore it makes sense to me that rather than continue beating my head against the AppleTree I make the move to an Android device interfacing to a Linux laptop. That's what I plan to do when my VZ contract expires or sooner if necessary.

Also, and this is entirely my fault, but I can't help but cringe whenever I walk into an Apple store. I get a mini panic attack and see visions of the GalaxyQuest babies hitting me in the head with a rock.

Sorry to ramble, but I'm a rambling guy.

• Like 2

I dislike the Apple stuff and don't use it.  It's amazing how many excuses I hear from family iphone users.   Not enough space to make more pictures after they cleared out spaces.  Sites that won't load.  Safari crashes.  Short battery life, Slowdowns after updates.  Too many updates.  On and on.  Overpriced add ons.  Non standard connectors.

Get rid of it.  Just do it.

I recently had a trouble ticket on one of my web apps.  Even though it was never designed for tablets, it works fine on all tablets EXCEPT the iPad.  Turns out iPad touch screen resolution is not high enough to differentiate between two adjacent radio buttons.  Runs fine in landscape; but not in portrait mode.  Workaround is to reverse pinch the screen to make it bigger, then the ipad can distinguish which radio button was touched.   Apple sucks., iPads are glorified toys.

Rant over.

• Like 1

pIO-fOKB4ESubCR5JoQk1Q2.png.a8bf346b383c5d0fdb3a51dfb66aa101.png

The IOS6 update was released in 2012.

If you look closely above, top corner identifies the device as an Ipod.  The Ipod Touch in 2012 did not have GPS capability.  It's a music player for @#$% sake.  Does it really take a 580 MB download and 2.4 GB of storage to use an IPod to listen to music and do a little web browsing?  Seriously, apple puts so much unnecessary crap into their products that you can't do much about that you aren't really the owner, you're just paying for the privilege of borrowing their end user interface.

Considering it was either an 8GB or 16GB model, making you clear up at least 2.4 gigs in addition to what the current operating system was already using was almost half the total storage (or 1/4)

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Considering it was either an 8GB or 16GB model, making you clear up at least 2.4 gigs in addition to what the current operating system was already using was almost half the total storage (or 1/4)

And it's not like you can throw in a MicroSD card like any other proper device.  When my iPhone friends wonder why I don't run out of space, I tell them I have pretty much unlimited storage with a microSD card.  512GB are getting common, 1Tb IIRC is available (but pricey).  If you fill it up, you swap to a new card.  It's not rocket science Apple.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I know that Apple products are not universally loved, by any means, but here are some interesting demographic facts for you.

On this site, mobile devices make up between 30% and 50% of the site's traffic, depending on the time of day. Of the mobile devices used, the iPhone is number 1 and the iPad is number 2. In fact, iPads are used about 24% more than every other non-Apple mobile device combined, tablet and phones. iPhones are used  more than twice as much as every non-Apple mobile device combined. Together, the Apple mobile devices are used more than three times as much as every other non-Apple mobile device combined.

Windows computers dominate the computer side of the fence, as I'm sure everyone would expect. There are a fair number of Macs in use though.

One stat that surprises me is the most popular browser. Google Chrome has a substantial lead, in that department.

I've used iPhones since the day they were introduced and iPads since the day they were introduced. I love them. I've tried Samsung devices and I really disliked the experience. I'm not a fan of many of Apple's business practices, but neither am I a fan of Microsoft, Google or many other large tech companies. They all suck. The alternative is to step into the Open Source world and seal the door behind you. Run a free version of Linux and find apps you like in that arena. It takes a fairly tech savvy person to make a real go of that though and there are still some things you can't do without Windows or Mac. Them's the brakes.

I've been using Mac computers for more than a decade. OS X is more powerful, more stable and one hell of a lot more secure than Windows products. Being a UNIX-based OS, it is capable of interfacing at a fundamental level with the Linux servers I maintain. I run a copy of Win 7 64-bit in Parallels on my Mac, for the couple of things I can't do with Mac OS, but otherwise all my time is spent in a Mac universe and I love it. I still fix Windows installs for friends and family on occasion, but I hate that OS. It is a vulnerability-laden kludge. Mac OS is a far better system, hands down.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Eric said:

On this site, mobile devices make up between 30% and 50% of the site's traffic

Screw you, Steve Ballmer!

Together, the Apple mobile devices are used more than three times as much as every other non-Apple mobile device combined.

Apple is serious about their business, even if it's targeted at money-wasting-teens. Google is evil from the core.

Windows computers dominate the computer side of the fence

Yawn!... What are you waiting for to try W10?

Google Chrome has a substantial lead, in that department.

Chrome is a google-virus.

They all suck

Money is a bitch. When it comes to making it,... we all kind of suck.

I've been using Mac computers for more than a decade. OS X is more powerful, more stable and one hell of a lot more secure than Windows products.

DATA to back it up? Do yourself a favor and try W10, Azure, VS.NET... Many a *nix tools are now available on Winblows!

I run a copy of Win 7 64-bit

Good OS, but not even comparable to 10.

Yeah, OS X is based on Unix,... they basically f-up FreebSD.

Edited by Glocks4Freedom
  • Like 2

I've come to the conclusion that I can do pretty much anything I need to do (which admittedly ain't much) on a Linux laptop. I have an older Dell e7440 with an i5, 8gb RAM, and a 750gb hybrid drive which flies with Manjaro Xfce. I'm posting this from my Win 10 machine on the same hardware because it's docked to my big monitor and I'm lazy. The only thing I really need the Win10 machine for is tax software, and I think that can be run over the web next year. 

Last night I played Casablanca on VLC, Beethoven on Audacious, downloaded three torrents in Transmission, surfed the web in Firefox, and ran MX Linux updates in a 2gb VirtualBox VM. Surfing seemed as fast as my usual Win 10 experience with all that going on. Maybe not a tremendous load but as much as I'm likely to do.

• Administrators
On 10/24/2018 at 4:13 PM, Glocks4Freedom said:

Screw you, Steve Ballmer!

Apple is serious about their business, even if it's targeted at money-wasting-teens. Google is evil from the core.

Yawn!... What are you waiting for to try W10?

Chrome is a google-virus.

Money is a bitch. When it comes to making it,... we all kind of suck.

DATA to back it up? Do yourself a favor and try W10, Azure, VS.NET... Many a *nix tools are now available on Winblows!

Good OS, but not even comparable to 10.

Yeah, OS X is based on Unix,... they basically f-up FreebSD.

I started using MS DOS when it was on v2 and I've used and supported every version of Windows since v3, including 10. They have made improvements in Win10, but their problem is systemic. The problem is with MS's vision for an OS and for how the want everyone to use the computing world. This goes back before the rift that formed between Gates and Wozniak. Between Gates, who wanted to control everything & charge for everything and the people who originally envisioned the Open Source community concept that largely made the Internet what it is today. Hell, Gates wanted to charge for the IE web browser originally and he fought like hell against companies like Netscape, who wanted to make such technology free to all. I'm really not a fan of MS and my dislike goes far beyond simply disliking the fact that they are so mercenary. Companies like MS strangle progress.

I've got quite a bit of experience with Win10. I simply do not like it. I have reloaded it more times than I can remember, on several friends and family members' computers, when it either crapped out completely, or simply spiraled itself into a quagmire. The laptop I work on primarily is a seven-year-old Macbook Pro. I reloaded the OS on the system a couple of weeks after I bought it, when I installed a SSD and it has been running on that install ever since. It has been upgraded many times along the way and I have never had one of those upgrades crash it, as I have dealt with on a wide variety of Windows boxes, over the years. It has been absolutely rock-solid. I've had the thing running for weeks before without a restart. It has only ever been restarted to take it somewhere. I have never once had to restart it because of a performance issue. I've never once suffered a virus, or any other type of malware infestation on it, although I've never run a canned antivirus software on it. The properly configured firewall has always been more than adequate to keep it secure.

I've been doing this stuff for decades. I've worked with Microsoft and Apple since President Reagan's first term in office. I know my way around these issues. In my opinion, based on my experience, both Mac's hardware and OS are a far superior product to any Windows PC and you pay well for it. How many people are typing away right now on a laptop that is almost eight years old, that has never had a hardware problem, has never required any service to its OS, is capable of running all the most modern OS's and apps and is still as fast as it used to be? This is one hell of a computer.

• Like 3

• Administrators

BTW, I am running Win 7 in Parallels on my MacBook because I had an extra license for it back when I bought this laptop and I've never seen a reason to pay to upgrade it, seeing as how the only thing I do with it is run a couple of graphics programs I very occasionally use. Even with both the main OS AND Win 10 running in its container, this laptop still doesn't slow down.

And one last note: My MacBook Pro came with OS X Snow Leopard. I've upgraded to eight successive major versions since then and it hasn't cost me a dime.

• Like 1

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

I got tired of de-funkifying my sister's laptop and converted it to Lubuntu. Since she does everything in Firefox she has no idea she's not running Windows, except that it doesn't crash.

I'm a fan of the Ubuntu distro. I love Debian and Ubuntu is based on Debian. The APT package system rocks. I started using Debian in 2001 and it powered all of Glock Talk's servers, until I went with hosted equipment in early 2010. Until then, I built every server that GT ever ran on, I installed Debian and built my own kernels for them. With the kernels stripped down and hardened, that is one mean server OS.

• Like 1