Ultimate Watch Thread II

crockett

I LOVE my battery-powered Tag F-1. It has sentimental value far exceeding its worth. That stated, my daily driver is a Sub. There's just something about kinetic energy making a watch move. When the Sub goes to Dallas for 3 months (busted the 12:00 pip on a doorway), I'll wear that Tag every day.

If Steinhart has managed to make an automatic that is quality and costs what a Tag does, I may have to take the plunge.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 10:27 PM, tadbart said:

I LOVE my battery-powered Tag F-1. It has sentimental value far exceeding its worth. That stated, my daily driver is a Sub. There's just something about kinetic energy making a watch move. When the Sub goes to Dallas for 3 months (busted the 12:00 pip on a doorway), I'll wear that Tag every day.

If Steinhart has managed to make an automatic that is quality and costs what a Tag does, I may have to take the plunge.

Only 700 bucks.. holding up great.. quality is 90% Rolex...

image0.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:28 PM, tous said:

Will both the usual and the in-the-phone-booth version be available?

You gotta wait a year for release of the directors cut.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:09 PM, Historian said:

I think Bob is going to fight this all the way.

Who's the Top Terrible Late 80's/early 90's Comedic star ...

That's the fun part!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, crockett said:

Movado Ermeto pocket watch from the 30s. They go for 300 to 2000 on eBay, depending on condition.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=Movado+Ermeto&_sacat=0

The moon phase goes for the upper limit. A lot of them had a ring to attach a chain to. To wind it, just open it. I kind of wish it had a seconds hand.

They are also known as a purse watch.

Anyone know where I can get it reupholstered? 

Edited by NPTim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Rolex Just Unveiled 16 New Watches for 2021,

Including a New Daytona and Two Explorers

https://robbreport.com/style/watch-collector/rolex-new-2021-watches-1234605998/

They have waiting lists good up to 20 ******* years and instead of increasing production to match demand, noooo, lets bring out new models that nobody can purchase for many years to come. Unless the customer is in bed with their authorized dealer and buys constantly junk they don't want, just to creep by all of those waiting in line for a Rolex.

I'm still on the waiting list for that 2018 Rolex GMT II Pepsi. Over 3 years now. Every time around Christmas I call that Rolex dealer and ask about my position. And every year I get to hear the same bullshit story.

That's why I bought the Steinhart homage. And I tell you what, that watch is in parts even better than the Rolex, and costs only 1/13th.

I was really planning to keep that Rolex Pepsi once I get it, but now I'm so fed up by their bullshit strategy to increase grey market prices and demand by artifactually limiting supply, that I will flip that damn Rolex the day I get it, turning a 9700 investment into 20000.

My desire to own a Rolex is at zero and I don't want to be affiliated with that brand.

If I wanted to wait 10 or 20 years on a ******* product I'd move to one of those commie countries where that's standard!

**** Rolex.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, crockett said:

They have waiting lists good up to 20 ****ing years and instead of increasing production to match demand, noooo, lets bring out new models that nobody can purchase for many years to come. Unless the customer is in bed with their authorized dealer and buys constantly junk they don't want, just to creep by all of those waiting in line for a Rolex.

I'm still on the waiting list for that 2018 Rolex GMT II Pepsi. Over 3 years now. Every time around Christmas I call that Rolex dealer and ask about my position. And every year I get to hear the same bull**** story.

That's why I bought the Steinhart homage. And I tell you what, that watch is in parts even better than the Rolex, and costs only 1/13th.

I was really planning to keep that Rolex Pepsi once I get it, but now I'm so fed up by their bull**** strategy to increase grey market prices and demand by artifactually limiting supply, that I will flip that damn Rolex the day I get it, turning a 9700 investment into 20000.

My desire to own a Rolex is at zero and I don't want to be affiliated with that brand.

If I wanted to wait 10 or 20 years on a ****ing product I'd move to one of those commie countries where that's standard!

**** Rolex.

Yes, the first thing I read was:   "All of them are available for order starting today. If you haven't already called your authorized dealer, get ready for the hold music."

If I had to wait that long I would be dead before I got my watch.  That Christopher Ward looks promising also.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

Yes, the first thing I read was:   "All of them are available for order starting today. If you haven't already called your authorized dealer, get ready for the hold music."

If I had to wait that long I would be dead before I got my watch.  That Christopher Ward looks promising also.

That's exactly what I thought. How many people would like that Pepsi, maybe as a retirement gift, and are forced to consider that they may never get to see that watch.

There is absolutely nothing on a Rolex that is rare. You just lease another property, hire and train more workers, buy more tools, steel and materials, and produce more watches. They have been running behind for at least 4 years now. They could catch up within 6 to 12 months easily.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...