Carlos Castaneda, Author..

DrB

I remember the hippies in college (1968) wandering around in deep discussions of his work, but I never had much interest in shamans or seagulls  or zen anything.

I was reading Richard Feynman.

And my CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics cover to cover.

:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tous said:

I remember the hippies in college (1968) wandering around in deep discussions of his work, but I never had much interest in shamans or seagulls  or zen anything.

I was reading Richard Feynman.

And my CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics cover to cover.

:biggrin:

I have the recordings on the lectures he did at ucla.  

You may now kiss my ring!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've read all of his books. They were an interesting mix of metaphysics, and religious philosophy told in fictional form through the character of Don Juan Matus, a Yaqui Indian and sorcerer from Sonora, Mexico.

I attended UCLA in 1973 and knew people who had associated with Castaneda and the general consensus was that he was very unapproachable and seemingly tried to cultivate an air of mystery about himself but was basically just someone who valued his privacy.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

I read them in my barefoot hippie days in college.  Fortunately, I later progressed to Sun Tzu, Seneca, Marcus Aurelius, Epictetus, and Thomas Sowell.

Top marks for the Thomas Sowell.  

Now add some Clausiwitz for extra credit.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2020 at 7:50 PM, Rellik said:

Top marks for the Thomas Sowell.  

Now add some Clausiwitz for extra credit.  

Your timing is incredible - my youngest daughter (the future tank mechanic)has requested that our next homeschool history class be the History of War, Particularly Tanks, Mom, Please and Thank You.  Clausewitz is now on the reading list...

I figure that is only fair, since her older sister picked History of Music for the first semester (and youngest sister is NOT enjoying it).  

16 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

History of Music for the first semester (and youngest sister is NOT enjoying it).  

My dad has always been very passionate about music.  To the point where he does have a PHD in the humanities and taught the topic.

About four years ago i took a class in the history of music without telling him...simply so i could have a conversation with him.

At first he looked at me like i grew horns....wondered where this knowledge came from...my area of historical knowledge is most about things that blew up (i thought that was important to know about).

Anyway.  It was a wonderful academic interlude.  Great topic.   I'm a Palistrina guy if she's gotten there yet.   His music has left me wanting a sensory deprivation room...and nothing but his music,.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Historian said:

My dad has always been very passionate about music.  To the point where he does have a PHD in the humanities and taught the topic.

About four years ago i took a class in the history of music without telling him...simply so i could have a conversation with him.

At first he looked at me like i grew horns....wondered where this knowledge came from...my area of historical knowledge is most about things that blew up (i thought that was important to know about).

Anyway.  It was a wonderful academic interlude.  Great topic.   I'm a Palistrina guy if she's gotten there yet.   His music has left me wanting a sensory deprivation room...and nothing but his music,.

Love him!  The Tallis Scholars do great Palestrina.  Thomas Tallis will always be my fave. 

• Like 2