Neighborhood tells 82-yr-old granny to curb her American flag enthusiasm, but she's refusing

pipedreams

"A homeowner's association in Arizona is the news this weekend it couldn't be for less flattering reasons. The HOA told 82-year-old Donna Cordero that she can't keep her new American flag decoration because it doesn't fit the neighborhood's look."

e66825f3-71eb-40d0-8838-c1141e69d740-donna_cordero.jpg.e961dec92947130d39d9e473b44d66d0.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/08/04/hoa-demands-widow-paint-over-american-flag-column/1888024001/

https://www.theblaze.com/news/neighborhood-tells-82-yr-old-granny-to-curb-her-american-flag-enthusiasm-but-shes-refusing?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__AM-Final 2019-08-05&utm_term=TheBlaze Daily AM - last 270 days

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pipedreams said:

"A homeowner's association in Arizona is the news this weekend it couldn't be for less flattering reasons. The HOA told 82-year-old Donna Cordero that she can't keep her new American flag decoration because it doesn't fit the neighborhood's look."

e66825f3-71eb-40d0-8838-c1141e69d740-donna_cordero.jpg.e961dec92947130d39d9e473b44d66d0.jpg

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/08/04/hoa-demands-widow-paint-over-american-flag-column/1888024001/

https://www.theblaze.com/news/neighborhood-tells-82-yr-old-granny-to-curb-her-american-flag-enthusiasm-but-shes-refusing?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily-Newsletter__AM-Final 2019-08-05&utm_term=TheBlaze Daily AM - last 270 days

This why I can't stand Home Owner's Associations, and the burbs.  Leave the old lady alone.  She is a 82.  At that age she should be able to erect a big middle finger in her front yard if that makes her happy, in primary colors.  There should be some leeway and respect for people that reach that age.  Moreover, stressing unnecessarily, can cause them to expire at that age.  

It is a bit like my parents when my parents call my sister and I on the Shabbat.  She gives them a woe is me for like six damn hours.  Mom is not in good health, and dad is pushing the envelope toward the age his father passed.  So, after they are worn out from that nonsense, they call me.  No matter what is going on in my life, I keep the negative stuff and stressors away from them, and don't talk their ear off, out of respect.  I know what they were just subjected to.  This is pretty much the same, except it is a faceless entity of jackals who decided to mess with an 82 year old woman without any just cause.  Shame on them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, pipedreams said:

If you can't stand up for your country's symbols, who will stand up for you!   The display in the photograph is tasteful and without malice.

This is a pretense that says that the American Flag is as objectionable as graffiti, and desecrates a neighborhood. 

That the flag of our nation is subservient to a Neighborhood organization's rules.  Why is their no support for this symbol of freedom, or has the neighborhood organization claimed superiority over the nation, on the premise that the American flag is distasteful.

The neighborhood is in America, not the other way around.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So no issues with flying the flag, or some other types of displays of patriotism, they just don't want artwork painted on the curb, which was in the rules that she signed when she moved in.  I agree with the HOA that it opens a door for other artwork that others may find less than tasteful (political artwork, religious artwork maybe?)

I'm sort of torn here, on one hand I don't like restrictions on displaying the flag, but I do think having it painted on the ground/curb less tasteful than many other ways it could be presented.

And her argument of "this is my curb" doesn't really hold up either.  Unless it's a private road that she personally owns, I believe the curb itself is considered public property, or in this case might be HOA property if they are responsible for maintaining them.

2 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

So no issues with flying the flag, or some other types of displays of patriotism, they just don't want artwork painted on the curb, which was in the rules that she signed when she moved in.  I agree with the HOA that it opens a door for other artwork that others may find less than tasteful (political artwork, religious artwork maybe?)

I'm sort of torn here, on one hand I don't like restrictions on displaying the flag, but I do think having it painted on the ground/curb less tasteful than many other ways it could be presented.

And her argument of "this is my curb" doesn't really hold up either.  Unless it's a private road that she personally owns, I believe the curb itself is considered public property, or in this case might be HOA property if they are responsible for maintaining them.

Some HOA's want to take your money, live by their rules, often not equally applied (which leads to torts), and lately not provide anything for your dues.

Just now, Moshe said:

Some HOA's want to take your money, live by their rules, often not equally applied (which leads to torts), and lately not provide anything for your dues.

Power attracts those who are corruptible.

Or as a buddy of mine says " Power Corrupts.  Absolute power is actually kind of neat!"

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...