Our Forest Fire.

22 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

There was a fire that moved through the area where I built my house years ago. In the 70's. It has grown up to mostly birch trees. It would slow a fire down and not be as volatile as the spruce forests the Swan Lake fire is consuming. I have good fire breaks and have more than an acre cleared and down to grass. Yes, I would stay....and fight.

cojones for real, best to you bro

• Thanks 1

Friday morning update puts the fire at 90,000 acres and growing. I could see the smoke plumes from my house yesterday as it hit new patches of black spruce. Thankfully we still haven't had much wind since it started. 10 day forecast is still calling for hot dry weather. Likely this thing will be burning right into winter.

• Sad 1

Checked the fire map this morning. It's over 100,000 but not growing much. Hoping the wind doesn't come up. There are 700,000 acres burning in Alaska right now. None of the large fires are contained. Our Swan Lake fire has containment (so far) along the Sterling Hwy and east fork of the Moose River, and a small section that borders an Enstar gas pipeline. So far no structures have burned. The fire is less than 5 miles from the town of Sterling. 

• Sad 1

The weather has been whacky everywhere this year.  It has rained quite a lot since November.  We're either going to have a tropical depression with an estimated 5-10 inches or a hurricane.  I am going to make sure my AR and AK are still sighted in properly, as that may become an issue.

• Like 1

Walt, you might see our new weapon on the fire in your area. 

Got one of our CH-47’s dropping water down there, 2600 gallons a pop. 

Makes er the bucket we use for the H60 seem like a toy. 

Edited by AK_Stick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AK_Stick said:

Walt, you might see our new weapon on the fire in your area. 

Got one of our CH-47’s dropping water down there, 2600 gallons a pop. 

Makes er the bucket we use for the H60 seem like a toy. 

I think I may have put 2600 gallons on my lawn in the past couple of weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Update. Swan Lake Fire activity has increased big time. High winds now and the fire has jumped the Sterling Highway. Cooper Landing under an evacuation watch. No rain in the 10 day forecast. Many of the fire fighting crews have left the area. Most of the fire had been contained and it looked like topography would take care of the areas that were still advancing. Not now that the winds have come. 

• Sad 2