Thoughts on legalizing heroin

Big Dog Dad

7 hours ago, Moshe said:

Yes, a particular favorite of many of the illegal aliens we took into custody.  They usually showed up about their 4th time, which makes me wonder how many times they did that without being caught.  Wrong way drivers.  It used to be a removable offense for Resident Aliens, until the Supreme Court ruled against it.  I then asked, if it is not removable for a non-citizen, can I get legally drunk and shoot someone, and say, impairment isn't grounds for punishment?  Essentially that is the SCOTUS rested their hat on, that it was too harsh to make a removable offense for someone who is not a Citizen, because they were impaired at the time.

I think DWI homicide is a joke.  Less time as if you intentionally ram a family of four and kill them for sport.  I think that homicide should be treated like any other homicide, then the who gives a damn, affluenza, or I might get 5 years idea is gone from the psyche forever.  If you are charged the same inebriated or sober, that would sober people up from bring their bullshit to the public sphere.

my wife's sister and husband  and 3 kids was hit head on at 70 mph  by a drunk driver years ago   ,  she literally broke every bone in her body and walks with crutches the last 10 years and has a built in morphine pump  in her stomach,  her husband  had the seat belt cut off air supply to brain and was basically  brain damaged  and now in a care home  he was only 50 at the time  .the thin sheath covering the brain  slowly died   and basically  they lived thru wreck but really died in it ,  her sister was in a halo and hospital  for  2 years  .    

the drunk driver  was a 8 time offender ,  yep i said 8  ,  he finally got his  around 8 years ago  when he got in bar fight  and got punched and busted his head on corner of bar   and hit the concrete floor , died on scene ,  hopefully in hell  now    the bitch of it he released only  2 weeks earlier  

Edited by ASH
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ASH said:

my wife's sister and husband  and 3 kids was hit head on at 70 mph  by a drunk driver years ago   ,  she literally broke every bone in her body and walks with crutches the last 10 years and has a built in morphine pump  in her stomach,  her husband  had the seat belt cut off air supply to brain and was basically  brain damaged  and now in a care home  he was only 50 at the time  .the thin sheath covering the brain  slowly died   and basically  they lived thru wreck but really died in it ,  her sister was in a halo and hospital  for  2 years  .    

the drunk driver  was a 8 time offender ,  yep i said 8  ,  he finally got his  around 8 years ago  when he got in bar fight  and got punched and busted his head on corner of bar   and hit the concrete floor , died on scene ,  hopefully in hell  now    the bitch of it he released only  2 weeks earlier  

Yeah, that is the devastation when people take their addiction (alcohol) and inflict society with it.  He made a choice, over and over and over again potentially harm others until he did, irreparably.  He could have stayed home and got drunk.  He could have called for a cab to go home, and then another one when sober to pick up his car.  But, the fact is, he could give a damn and it showed, until he inflicted his problem on the innocent folks minding their own business.  Substance addiction never just stays with the person in their home.  It reaches out and destroys other people's lives.  That is where the Libertarian argument about substance abuse recreationally in public falls to pieces.  It never just stays at home.  When I did drink, a long, long time ago (and I haven't for twenty years now), I made sure I had a designated driver.  Girls looked the same to me drunk or sober.  Most of the time, I had friends over, and either they had to have to be able to walk back to their apartment, get a designated driver, or stay there and sleep it off.  I have had to sleep in places I didn't like, because sometimes there was no transport available. 

I didn't want to ruin my life or someone else's back then.  I took responsibility for myself the people around me.  When you can't do that, you need to accept the consequences of your actions.  You do something to the people above, as you mentioned, you never, ever get out of jail.  The victims sure a hell got a life sentence.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ASH said:

My deepest sympthies, amigo.

My wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver that ran a red light and didn't even touch the brakes.

Like your tale, he had multiple DWIs on his record, but was free to kill my family that day.

The first and only time I ever thought seriously about killing a man.

He did a whole two years in state prison.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, tous said:

My wife and daughter were killed by a drunk driver that ran a red light and didn't even touch the brakes.

Like your tale, he had multiple DWIs on his record, but was free to kill my family that day.

my  sympathies to you also   , i could not fathom that   beyond words ,    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I appreciate that, amigo.

I simply cannot fathom how a decent, honorable person can  choose to roll the dice and operate a motor vehicle under the influence of whatever their drug of choice is.

I can easily imagine how many innocent families have been and will be destroyed because of a selfish, amoral decision.

At the trial, his defense was that he was a victim of a disease and that we should all feel sorry for him and what a hardship incarceration would be on his family.

I stared at him all through the trial and as I said, it was the first and only time I ever considered killing a man.

But, I'm not built that way.

This was in the late 1980s, when DWI was a nudge-nudge, wink-wink crime.

My opinion, 25 years in prison for the first offense.

Edited by tous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tous said:

I am so sorry my friend. I can’t imagine

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow, I just don't have words that I can convey to you that would express my feelings and sympathies, what an unfair world we live in, unimaginable the short sentence that scum of the earth received, even with his record, just isnt right man, just isn't right, like I conveyed in an earlier thread, the judicial system is broken, unfixable, never could understand how they make these decisions when the evidence is so clear ...ah, no greater loss than a mans family by an ungodly criminal claiming he is ill. Tar and feather the SOB Hang em up I say let em rot in full view of the populace with sign stating what his transgressions were .. May you have peace and tranquility ..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/2/2019 at 5:19 PM, holyjohnson said:

if all drugs are legalized within a generation we could cure the drug problem by culling out the addicts by self medication.

I agree it should work that way, but in practice it wouldn't. Too much charity built into our machine. Welfare state, soup kitchens, needle exchanges, free clinics, etc.

Here's my idea -- establish a camp where heroin and clean paraphernalia is provided, for free. About one camp for every million people or so. Provide public transportation to the camp for those who need it. Advertise the camp. Anyone can come in and escape the street, the dealers, the dirty smack. Once you come in, the rules are simple. Every day, twice a day, you have a choice: dose up, or sandwich. If you choose dose up, then no sandwich for 48 hours, only heroin. You cannot leave the camp until you choose sandwich 30 days in a row.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

I agree it should work that way, but in practice it wouldn't. Too much charity built into our machine. Welfare state, soup kitchens, needle exchanges, free clinics, etc.

Here's my idea -- establish a camp where heroin and clean paraphernalia is provided, for free. About one camp for every million people or so. Provide public transportation to the camp for those who need it. Advertise the camp. Anyone can come in and escape the street, the dealers, the dirty smack. Once you come in, the rules are simple. Every day, twice a day, you have a choice: dose up, or sandwich. If you choose dose up, then no sandwich for 48 hours, only heroin. You cannot leave the camp until you choose sandwich 30 days in a row.  

This is basically the thought behind my original posting. It would be very costly, but when you look at what we spend on Narcan, police spending their valuable time on overdoses, medical personnel, police trying with very little success to fight the drug cartels and drug smuggling, it may be cost effective. The biggest losers would be the high level officials losing their bribes. We laugh at all these third world cesspools and all the reported corruption. Are we any better or are just better at hiding it?

-=BDD=-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

I think,  keep them in goo-pods tended by robots,  with multiple umbilical tubes attached and use their metabolism to generate energy.

Offer them free 24/7/365 drug infusion and they'll eagerly volunteer for it.

• Like 1