POTUS proposal for re opening the government

ARP

Pelosi has already tossed it aside like last weeks leftovers, no discussion what so ever.  Besides the obvious of EO emergency declaration nuclear option, what other cards does POTUS have to play?

I'm beginning to be amazed at the speed at which things are moving, meaning the buzzfeed story comes out, the media is whackin' off with one hand and wiping their collective sweat from their brow with the other over the prospect that they have Trump dead to right on obstruction charges to be impeached. And then the Mueller people step forward and say na na, na na, naaaa na to the story and poooof, it is gone from any comment on the news.

Edited by ARP

Some thoughts;

three sides to the showdown (not a shutdown when less than 25%) Trump, Democrats, Republicans

first Trump;

last year he signed a budget with no wall and stated that he would not do it again after taking heat from the base. He says that he is happy to shut it down for a wall, now he has painted himself into a corner. He cannot sign one without looking weak. And the absolute worst thing for Trump is to look weak. He has changed the wording to Birder Security, slats instead of wall, three year DACA extension, 800 million here, 805 million there is just a little more than the 1.6 billion in the first deal.

Second the Republicans;

they do not want a national emergency declaration (no matter how much lip service they give) because at some points there will be a D President and the next Vegas, Pulse Club, Sandy Hook, whatever. They will act all conflicted and declare a national emergency on gun violence, or another hurricane and an emergency on climate change.  When somebody opens the door to declaring an emergency for other that a sanction/financial dealings of a country, person, group, etc......then they can do it for anything political.

do they want the wall? They want donations and re-elections 

Third the Democrooks;

They don’t mind the shutdown as they can campaign on it. If Trump caves, they win. If Trump declares an emergency, they win. If the shutdown continues, they win.

they see Trumps speeches as cracks, the first one and this one, that’s why they rejected it and will continue to. They want him to declare an emergency because their numbers show that they will win on it as a campaign issue.

Saints vs Chiefs......I just want to see Brady cry.

Edited by Dric902

I have to add this;

Trump can’t reopen the government. He doesn’t have a bill to sign.

congress has to vote for one, pass it, committee to reconcile bills, and then send it to Trump for signature.

if they leave for an overseas trip, then didn’t want to reopen it.

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

I half expected him to declare Martial Law this weekend, and suspend Congress.

I was reading this thread without logging in which showed content that is otherwise ignored.

Posting crap like this makes the rest of us look bad, and ensures the rest of us know you're nucking futs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way I see it, the leftists and their lap dogs, the rinos, are playing chicken with Trump. Problem is, he ain’t scurd and he is making them look like chumps. He said he was willing to negotiate and he went on national tv a proved it. Now the leftists look foul for doing nothing.

anyone with half a brain cell can see the leftists are as much to blame, if not mostly to blame for the shutdown. The leftists could have negotiated with the president but chose not to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Offer a permanent solution to DACA. I believe, could be wrong of course, that he's advocated that at one time or another. Offer permanent status and the Democrats would then have to choose to continue and possibly not get another chance for a long time, or take the deal. Should they choose to decline the offer it would make for some interesting campaign positions next time around. 

13 minutes ago, GPM said:

Offer a permanent solution to DACA. I believe, could be wrong of course, that he's advocated that at one time or another. Offer permanent status and the Democrats would then have to choose to continue and possibly not get another chance for a long time, or take the deal. Should they choose to decline the offer it would make for some interesting campaign positions next time around. 

DACA was never legal.  It was never passed by Congress for signature by Obama.  He decided to legislate by Executive Order.  And don't let DACA deceive you.  It isn't about people who were born here.  They were brought here illegally, or in a kidnapping case I worked, the parents came over and had smugglers up the price on returning their children.  Most of these grow up to be law breakers, thugs, and gang members.  But, according to the Obama Separation of Powers over reach, there is more to it than that.  If they have a high school degree, or a college degree, or under 30 years of age, you have to work with the Office of Chief Counsel to see if they meet the guidelines of catch and release criminals.  They were letting guys go with multiple DUI's, and the like to go about and kill whole families. 

Those who have studied and observed the growth of Government should notice what the other guy does, the next thinks they can get away with too.  Thus, it is not to hard to think of our Executives acting like Kings and ignoring Congress.  Crying about the Patriot Act, but being mum, about it when they are in power.  Obama went so far as to bug splat two United States Citizens.  No trial, no jury, just automated hellfire missiles from above.

The Constitution still exists, it is just every pisses on it as long is their "guy/gal".  So, it is not impossible to think an even larger narcissist than Obama would declare martial law, and suspend Congress and the Constitution until he got his way.  So far what I have seen with him giving the House away with his destroy the 14th Amendment gaffe, and the longest shutdown in history, it is Make America Grifted Again.

My comment had nothing to do with the legality of DACA. It was simply a suggestion as to what it would take to get the Democrats to the table. Nothing more. I seriously doubt any foreseeable iteration of Congress and the White House will ever be able to do anything definitive about the situation. Both parties have had both houses and the Presidency and done nothing.

18 minutes ago, GPM said:

My comment had nothing to do with the legality of DACA. It was simply a suggestion as to what it would take to get the Democrats to the table. Nothing more. I seriously doubt any foreseeable iteration of Congress and the White House will ever be able to do anything definitive about the situation. Both parties have had both houses and the Presidency and done nothing.

Nothing will bring the Democrooks to the table but surrender (they win) or national emergency declaration (they still win)

7 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Nothing will bring the Democrooks to the table but surrender (they win) or national emergency declaration (they still win)

I don't doubt that you're right. Maybe he should promise to resign. Give me my wall and I'll ride off into the sunset. After all, he's a politician now, promises don't mean squat.

• Haha 1

Honestly, even though I don't agree and much of his base would be annoyed, I don't know why he doesn't promise a path to citizenship of some sort for some/all of current illegals in exchange for the wall funding.

This would put the Dems on the spot since they claim they care about border security but also want to be "realistic" and "humanitarian" to all those already living here.  Of course, do they really care about the illegals if Trump gets the credit for legalizing then?  Do they care so much that they're ok with Trump getting some of their votes for naturalizing them?  

Even though I don't think legalizing the illegals is the best answer (or the morally correct one), it might almost be worth it to see a Republican get the credit,  support, and votes that the Dems are always chasing after.

It could be a nice three step plan:

1. Build the wall.

2. Enforce existing law.

3. Take the first step toward stealing votes away from the opposition.

Sure, it's absolutely about power and control for the politicians.  But for many of the people who vote for them, it's about the issues or at least the emotional pull of those issues.

Any time lying politicians (on whichever side of the aisle they sit) can be put on the spot and have their hypocrisy revealed is a good thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NPTim said:

How do they win with a national emergency declaration?

They can campaign on it for 2020

”unprecedented takeover”

”power grab”

”Berlin wall”

and of course...racist, hateful, white supremacy, xenophobic, etc

plus, as I’ve already explained above, if he declares a national emergency for other than a sanction/finance reason, then they can as well when they are in control. 

Mass shooting....national emergency for gun violence

hurricane.....national emergency for climate change

riots.... emergency

etc, etc, etc

The Democraps love governing by EO, that’s what Obama was famous for. They will again every chance they get and Trump will set the precedent

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

the theory isn’t supported by the evidence. To the contrary, Trump’s base seems to be eroding. There’s been a considerable decline in the number of Americans who strongly approve of Trump, from a peak of around 30 percent in February to just 21 or 22 percent of the electorate now. (The decline in Trump’s strong approval ratings is larger than the overall decline in his approval ratings, in fact.) Far from having unconditional love from his base, Trump has already lost almost a third of his strong support. And voters who strongly disapprove of Trump outnumber those who strongly approve of him by about a 2-to-1 ratio, which could presage an “enthusiasm gap” that works against Trump 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/donald-trumps-base-is-shrinking/

Trump knows this and now has appeared on the tv twice and tweeted numerous times about how he wants to negotiate. The democrook analysts see that as a sign of weakness.

8 hours ago, NPTim said:

The way I see it, the leftists and their lap dogs, the rinos, are playing chicken with Trump. Problem is, he ain’t scurd and he is making them look like chumps. He said he was willing to negotiate and he went on national tv a proved it. Now the leftists look foul for doing nothing.

anyone with half a brain cell can see the leftists are as much to blame, if not mostly to blame for the shutdown. The leftists could have negotiated with the president but chose not to.

12 hours ago, Jammersix said:

You keep posting this over and over.

We get it, you are convinced that President Trump owns this shutdown and it is he and he alone that is 100%  responsible for it.

So, when the Government opens back up and the money for the wall is appropriated, President Trump will be 100% responsible for this as well.

Good, got it, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And both sides need to be sued again in a class action as they have been before for a violation of the 13th Amendment.  The settlements take forever.  I have been retired two years, and am still waiting for mine for a violation of my Civil Rights under the Color of Law, (Bivens), just as I would be sued if I behaved similarly to someone I took into custody, or was in charge of their custody.

1 hour ago, Moshe said:

And both sides need to be sued again in a class action as they have been before for a violation of the 13th Amendment. 

Really, you actually do not have a clue do you.

The 13th Amendment states: “Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.”

The Thirteenth Amendment was an amendment to the United States Constitution,meaning that it was a change to the basic and most important laws that govern the United States. It abolished slavery in the United States.