And this is why you don't buy cheap tools made in China

crockett

On 1/18/2019 at 4:31 PM, crockett said:

Why don't you start another toolbag thread like this one... you'd fit right in... wait...

The funny part is Eric actually did that once at GT supposedly.  He banned everyone.

On 1/18/2019 at 4:54 PM, fiveoboy01 said:

Oh wow, a Mustang crash joke and backpedal.  

I don’t know whether to laugh at you or cry about what how pathetic your own troll attempts are.  

The bad part is AFAIK you aren't the one known for wrecking your Mustang.  That was M&P.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:11 PM, crockett said:

I know. As I wrote earlier, I'm making an example in my thread, also showcasing that this issue wasn't fixed with moving politics out of The Bore Room. The trools just move into other threads as to be seen here.

It may be a reminder for Eric further down the road, when he wonders why actual content creators left, or had been discouraged to start, and why his new forum isn't taking off. As also stated a couple days, I'm long gone.

Now, watch them play nice for a while, and soon fall back to their repetitive OCD ridden bull****.

Wait - we have content creators here?  As far as I know we have bullshit artists, braggarts, dumbasses, car nuts, engineers, aviation heads, and TBO. :anim_lol:

On 1/18/2019 at 5:27 PM, fiveoboy01 said:

I don't care about your "qualifications."

I did a single season of 10 trackdays with two organizations, and enjoyed every minute of them, wrong body posture, slow rider, or not.   Went from beginner to(almost) advanced.  Got a lot faster.  Every noob sticks his knee out too far hoping to kiss the asphalt - it's a rite of passage.  What you think of that, means nothing to me.  The fact that you're dragging things like that here from TOS shows your inferiority complex to the world and outs you as the real troll. 

So, keep goin.  You're just backfiring on yourself.  

When I had my bike I always wanted to grind a footpeg, just because.  Never got up the nerve though.  That was a LONG way over on that thing.

On 1/18/2019 at 5:54 PM, SigMan said:

I never expected a thread about a commercial-grade vibrator would get this contentious. 

Now we're discussing this thing?

13030e7a-f51d-408e-8b02-a3e093cd9916_1.f

On 1/18/2019 at 9:51 PM, Jammersix said:

There's more to that story. Fein is what we used to call a "boutique" brand. For instance, they also make a shop vac that, while not as effective as the brand Lowe's or Homeless Despot sells, is very quiet.

Fishing lures aren't designed to catch fish. They're designed to catch fishermen.

There will always be, shall we say, a certain segment of the market that will buy fishing lures, just like there will always be a segment that will buy a Fein de-grouter rather than sticking a diamond blade in the worm drive and getting on with your life.

The more skill you have, the less you need. The inverse is also true.

Boutique owners gotta eat, same as worms.

Maybe this guy sells them:

300?cb=20141022155837

Serge - owner of Serge's Survival Boutique in Beverly Hills Cop III.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

The bad part is AFAIK you aren't the one known for wrecking your Mustang.  That was M&P.

Wait - we have content creators here?  As far as I know we have bull**** artists, braggarts, dumbasses, car nuts, engineers, aviation heads, and TBO. :anim_lol:

When I had my bike I always wanted to grind a footpeg, just because.  Never got up the nerve though.  That was a LONG way over on that thing.

Correct.  As I said, he’s confused.

I agree about the content thing... wow.. what an insult... Your content is trash!!! LOL ok, someone tell Crockett that this isn’t YouTube.  

Never ground a foot peg.  My toe sliders got scuffed, but that’s it.  I’m not Rossi though.  Unlike the resident expert rider.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fiveoboy01 said:

Correct.  As I said, he’s confused.

I agree about the content thing... wow.. what an insult... Your content is trash!!! LOL ok, someone tell Crockett that this isn’t YouTube.  

Never ground a foot peg.  My toe sliders got scuffed, but that’s it.  I’m not Rossi though.  Unlike the resident expert rider.  

Crokectt is a psychological name for snowflake?

I could be wrong but it seems some of you since coming over from GT have become major Drama Queens.  WTF is up with that, I can see busting balls and it can get out of hand but it's only the errornet.  How do some of you have the time to get so upset with others, get a job or a hobby good God. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

I’ve only ground (grinded) a peg once. But it wasn’t on purpose

Exactly.  I've done it several times and they were 100% unintentional.

Once was with a passenger and it was instant left / right sparks.  Others crashed.

I've done things where people said, "How the F did you do that?!?"

"I don't know."

4 hours ago, Moshe said:

!Oy Gavalt!  This Hok a chanik  thread is still going?  Enough already.  Use whatever tools you guys want.  You would think someone kholerye about Glock or something.

That cheap plastic piece of junk?  I hear they melt if they get hot.  They don't even have a safety.  You'll shoot your foot off.

If you want a real weapon, you shell out for something like a Les Bear.  That's a gun for professionals, and it comes in premium packaging that reflects that value, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fiveoboy01 said:

Thought you were flouncing?  

I don't think he was flouncing.

He came out with a ridiculous theory, he rationalized his purchase, he got spanked, then he claimed he was trying to flush out trolls on a top secret mission from Eric.

It's hard to flounce properly after making a mess like that.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jammersix said:

He came out with a ridiculous theory, he rationalized his purchase, he got spanked, then he claimed he was trying to flush out trolls on a top secret mission from Eric.

So the ridiculous theory is that buying quality tools is a good idea?

18 hours ago, Dric902 said:

I’ve only ground (grinded) a peg once. But it wasn’t on purpose

If we're counting accidents, I've ground one too then.  Damn bike didn't survive though. :Wow: :anim_lol:

18 hours ago, Huaco Kid said:

Exactly.  I've done it several times and they were 100% unintentional.

Once was with a passenger and it was instant left / right sparks.  Others crashed.

I've done things where people said, "How the F did you do that?!?"

"I don't know."

"If I did it on purpose it would have never worked!"

12 hours ago, Jammersix said:

Actually - as I took it he came in and pretty much told all of us who cannot afford $400 multitools for projects that we were stupid and the problem with America.  Or that's where it wound up.  

He'd **** if he saw the inside of my toolbox.  I have more than a few sockets from Auto Zone.  Not to mention a Stanley socket set that has been pretty good - for the amount of use it gets.

Edited by SC Tiger

3 hours ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

So the ridiculous theory is that buying quality tools is a good idea?

The ridiculous theory is that buying overpriced tools for single jobs is a good idea.  Or that you have to buy the absolute most expensive tool.

Crockett is good to discuss cars with.  But when he gets on these rants he is just insufferable.

Who was that guy on GT that went off when someone said that they picked up their truck from a dealer for an oil change and found out they had left out the oil?  Someone suggested he should have kept driving until it blew up, and this guy went off saying it was actually the owner's fault for not checking the oil when he picked it up.  It was sad and funny at the same time, but that dude had no sense of humor.

I have a Black and Decker circular saw that has served me well for over a decade.  Cost about $70.  It gets little use but has been good.  What good would it do for me to buy a Ridgid or a Milwaukee for that use?

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, JTMac said:

That cheap plastic piece of junk?  I hear they melt if they get hot.  They don't even have a safety.  You'll shoot your foot off.

If you want a real weapon, you shell out for something like a Les Bear.  That's a gun for professionals, and it comes in premium packaging that reflects that value, too.

They only melt if you wash them in the bottom rack of the dishwasher.

2 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

The ridiculous theory is that buying overpriced tools for single jobs is a bad idea.  Or that you have to buy the absolute most expensive tool.

I think the idea that buying overpriced tools is a bad idea is reasonable.  You seem to be saying that it's a ridiculous theory. You may want to rethink what you wrote, no criticism intended.

The rub comes in when you try to decide what constitutes overpriced and when you're saying it's for a single job when it fact you can't predict the future and therefore don't know that.

Some people might say spending over $2 grand for a lever action rifle is ridiculous.  I call it a smart purchase.

The dude likes to buy quality.  He can afford it.  Why should that be such a big issue?

He doesn't like buying stuff that was made in China.  I don't either for a variety of reasons one of which is quality.  Again, why is that a big deal?

Edited by Wyzz Kydd
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I think the idea that buying overpriced tools is a bad idea is reasonable.  You seem to be saying that it's a ridiculous theory. You may want to rethink what you wrote, no criticism intended.

The rub comes in when you try to decide what constitutes overpriced and when you're saying it's for a single job when it fact you can't predict the future and therefore don't know that.

Some people might say spending of $2 grand for a lever action rifle is ridiculous.  I call it a smart purchase.

The dude likes to buy quality.  He can afford it.  Why should that be such a big issue?

He doesn't like buying stuff that was made in China.  I don't either for a variety of reasons one of which is quality.  Again, why is that a big deal?

It looks like I mistyped.  I think it's stupid to spend $400 on a tool for a single job, when I can probably hire a pro to do it for less than that.  And can get a quality tool for a lot less than that.  

Spend what you want on what you want.  But don't tell me that I need to spend that much for a quality tool and that anything cheaper is ****.  Especially when I know better (I know a little bit more about this stuff than the average bear).

$2000 for a lever rifle - depending on the rifle it could either be a steal, a good price, or a ripoff.  But guns are different.  They're fun. ?

As far as tools - almost every power tool is made in China now.  Dewalt may not 100% be but my experience with their drills is less than positive.

And somehow on all this we got into burning Teslas.

Edited by SC Tiger

32 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

It looks like I mistyped.  I think it's stupid to spend $400 on a tool for a single job, when I can probably hire a pro to do it for less than that.  And can get a quality tool for a lot less than that.  

Spend what you want on what you want.  But don't tell me that I need to spend that much for a quality tool and that anything cheaper is ****.  Especially when I know better (I know a little bit more about this stuff than the average bear).

$2000 for a lever rifle - depending on the rifle it could either be a steal, a good price, or a ripoff.  But guns are different.  They're fun. ?

And somehow on all this we got into burning Teslas.

A different viewpoint is he spent about the same amount for a tool that he could pay someone else to do the job.

After it's all said and done, he comes out of it with the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right, and that he did it himself.

He also has a $400 tool that can either be kept around and used again if he ever needs it, or can be resold, for probably 3/4 of what he spent on it originally, and therefore only be out a little bit of money as a rental type fee.  He also didn't suffer through the aggravation of trying to make due with a tool that is of lesser quality, which in itself often more than worth the additional up front cost. 

In comparison I know a guy that buys HF angle grinders with the replacement plan, he goes through about a dozen a year.  Sure, it doesn't cost him any money to get the replacement, but it does cost him a lot of time and fuel, and when he finally used one of mine for a job he said the difference in power and quality was night and day, and the abuse he put it to didn't bother my grinder when the same activities killed his in short order.  He lives nearby to a HF store, I don't.  

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

A different viewpoint is he spent about the same amount for a tool that he could pay someone else to do the job.

After it's all said and done, he comes out of it with the satisfaction of knowing the job was done right, and that he did it himself.

He also has a $400 tool that can either be kept around and used again if he ever needs it, or can be resold, for probably 3/4 of what he spent on it originally, and therefore only be out a little bit of money as a rental type fee.  He also didn't suffer through the aggravation of trying to make due with a tool that is of lesser quality, which in itself often more than worth the additional up front cost. 

In comparison I know a guy that buys HF angle grinders with the replacement plan, he goes through about a dozen a year.  Sure, it doesn't cost him any money to get the replacement, but it does cost him a lot of time and fuel, and when he finally used one of mine for a job he said the difference in power and quality was night and day, and the abuse he put it to didn't bother my grinder when the same activities killed his in short order.  He lives nearby to a HF store, I don't.  

I wouldn't use HF for a lot of stuff either.  I prefer Ryobi or Ridgid and that's what most of my stuff is.  Obviously I'd go Milwaukee for everything but the cost/benefit isn't there.  If the B&D circular saw ever bites the dust, it will be replaced with one from one of those brands.  I've seen Ridgid tools go through absolute HELL and not even blink.  Their impact drivers are great, for instance.

I do have a Dremel Sawmax that can get right up to a wall to make cuts and a Craftsman grinder that I use for sharpening lawn mower blades.

Oscillating saws are neat for small cuts but aren't the best for long cuts as they take FOR......FREAKING......EVER.  At least when I've tried them in wood.  The problem is that the head only moves about 1/16" so they don't really clear out all of the sawdust very well.  But for short cuts they are really good.

I just get irritated when people insist that I need to buy mega-$$$$ tools or I'm being stupid (not just here).  You just gotta realize what you're doing, what you need to do it, and how often are you gonna do it.  Gonna build a race engine?  Even if only once, better spring for the high end torque wrench that is guaranteed 0.1% accurate (or whatever it is).

Remodeling a bathroom?  Ridgid/Ryobi stuff works for me.  But I don't use nails.  I use screws for just about everything.

Need a drill press for the kid's pinewood derby car and stuff like that?  The cheapo on Amazon will work for that.

Your mileage may vary.

Edited by SC Tiger