Sheriff Israel Fired

steve4102

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel, who faced criticism over his department’s response to the deadly Parkland, Florida, school shooting last year, was officially suspended by new Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday.

"Sheriff Israel has repeatedly failed and has demonstrated a pattern of poor leadership," DeSantis said in a statement.

"He failed to protect Floridians and visitors during the tragic Fort Lauderdale International Airport shooting in 2017. He failed in his duties to keep our families and children safe during the devastating shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Feb.14, 2018," the statement read. "These incidents demonstrate Sheriff Israel’s repeated incompetence and neglect of duty. The families of the victims deserve accountability. It is my job as governor to ensure that the safety of our local communities, especially the safety of our children, is paramount. Government officials must be held accountable for their actions, and/or inactions.

"For these reasons, I am suspending Sheriff Israel from office effective immediately.”

DeSantis later tweeted that he was suspending Israel for "his repeated failures, incompetence and neglect of duty."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-governor-suspends-broward-county-sheriff-scott-israel

• Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

Do you suppose that he'll try suing that his constitutional rights were violated the same as B. Snipes were when she was fired?

Duno. he might, but he is not Black, so his odds of success are automatically greatly diminished.  When was the last time a federal judge ruled in favor  of a White male's Constitutional rights?

Do they even have any anymore?

Edited by steve4102
  • Like 5

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. I tend to default to the most local governance possible.

Is suspension the same as firing? As much as I detest (currently former) Sheriff Israel, my first blush reaction is to to be wary of one executive that can "fire" another. Do the voters have no recourse to remove him IF they wish? Should Trump be able to fire a governor he deems lacking? Likewise the next democrat president? In many state constitutions, the sheriff is the "chief" law enforcement official. They are elected by those impacted by their actions. Florida law may well allow this but I'm still not a fan. Pending more information, of course.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TeaDub said:

Let me play devil's advocate for a minute. I tend to default to the most local governance possible.

Is suspension the same as firing? As much as I detest (currently former) Sheriff Israel, my first blush reaction is to to be wary of one executive that can "fire" another. Do the voters have no recourse to remove him IF they wish? Should Trump be able to fire a governor he deems lacking? Likewise the next democrat president? In many state constitutions, the sheriff is the "chief" law enforcement official. They are elected by those impacted by their actions. Florida law may well allow this but I'm still not a fan. Pending more information, of course.

FL State Statute give the Governor that power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve4102 said:

Duno. he might, but he is not Black, so his odds of success are automatically greatly diminished.  When was the last time a federal judge ruled in favor  of a White male's Constitutional rights?

Nope………………………….don't think so.  Not for the last several years anyway. :599c64365a11b_brickwall:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeaDub said:

I took these paragraphs out of the story, there is a large portion of the story I didn't copy, this just shows the cliff notes part of the story to answer your question.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-governor-suspends-sheriff-school-massacre-220139203.html

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — New Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Friday over his handling of February's massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, saying he "repeatedly failed and has demonstrated a pattern of poor leadership."

Minutes after DeSantis' announcement, Israel said he "wholeheartedly" rejected the governor's order and would fight it in court, arguing that DeSantis was making a "power grab" against the will of the county's people who elected him. He said DeSantis was acting on behalf of the National Rifle Association, which quickly blamed the sheriff's office after the shooting.

"There was no wrongdoing on my part. I served the county honorably," he said. "False narratives may continue, but not in a court of law. In a court of law, only the facts matter."

Under Florida law, the governor can suspend elected officials for criminal activity, misfeasance, incompetence or neglect of duty. If Israel challenges the suspension, the state Senate would hold a trial and could either fire or reinstate him. DeSantis' Republican predecessor, now-U.S. Sen. Rick Scott, refused to suspend Israel, saying he wanted to wait until investigations were completed.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

I took these paragraphs out of the story, there is a large portion of the story I didn't copy, this just shows the cliff notes part of the story to answer your question.

https://news.yahoo.com/florida-governor-suspends-sheriff-school-massacre-220139203.html

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — New Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel on Friday over his handling of February's massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, saying he "repeatedly failed and has demonstrated a pattern of poor leadership."

Minutes after DeSantis' announcement, Israel said he "wholeheartedly" rejected the governor's order and would fight it in court, arguing that DeSantis was making a "power grab" against the will of the county's people who elected him. He said DeSantis was acting on behalf of the National Rifle Association, which quickly blamed the sheriff's office after the shooting.

"There was no wrongdoing on my part. I served the county honorably," he said. "False narratives may continue, but not in a court of law. In a court of law, only the facts matter."

Under Florida law, the governor can suspend elected officials for criminal activity, misfeasance, incompetence or neglect of duty. If Israel challenges the suspension, the state Senate would hold a trial and could either fire or reinstate him. DeSantis' Republican predecessor, now-U.S. Sen. Rick Scott, refused to suspend Israel, saying he wanted to wait until investigations were completed.

I have little doubt that Israel is a political POS. IF the voters for whom he is elected have no legal recourse (recall), then I understand Desantis. Otherwise, this is politics. I wonder in four years what a Governor Gillum would do to a Sheriff that ordered "too much force" (as he describes it) in a lawful arrest? It would be quite embarrassing to have the state senate reinstate Israel. Again, politics.

State and local laws should default to the closest accountability. Federal too for that matter. Elect who you want. Let them live or or die politically by the people involved. If the voters want a POS, let them have it. No one outside Broward County has to deal with his decisions.

4 hours ago, steve4102 said:

I'm sure for the purpose of the lawsuit he could "identify" that he's black or a woman or some other "protected" group, which is everything except white male.

Edited by Cougar_ml

On 1/15/2019 at 6:03 PM, TeaDub said:

I agree. They elected him. Best recourse is to vote for someone else. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Collim1 said:

I agree. They elected him. Best recourse is to vote for someone else. 

Recourse is follow FL Law.

FL Law allows such a move by the FL Governor.

Many states do not allow this provision, FL does.  Don't like it work to change the Law.

• Like 1