I may have to take up reading...

PNWguy

Supervisor at work said the guys upstairs are cracking down on internet usage at work.  My department works 12hr shifts with about maybe 2hrs of actual work time needed.  We are a security team and 90% of our job is monitoring cameras, networks, and international/national internet news sites for issues that may affect our employees and field offices.  We are also on call for PC help and customer tech support.

We have a ton of down time during that shift.  All the younger guys are glued to their phones, which use the company wi-fi, which is monitored.  I just use the work computer to surf gun sites and watch youtube videos.  Supervisor informed us that in this day and age, everything we do online is being monitored and noted.  Big Brother is real.

Not sure what they want us to do for ten hours a night without internet.  May have to start writing again and reading novels.

The first time I used the Internet at work, was the time I co-wrote a technical paper on Advanced Tactical Aircraft, with Boeing.  It was amazing how fast the response time was.  I would do a portion send it to them, they would comment and return it.  Then they would send me their portion for my comments, etc.  One day I happened to look at the times on the messages, and the response was 2 minutes after I sent it.  Astounding.  Remember, this was MN to Seattle.

Otherwise, I found my work to be more fascinating than the Internet, and it was used only for reference material.  It was great when I could get all my Technical data from the Internet.  The company  library slowly started to dry up and I could throw my technical manuals away.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

One day I happened to look at the times on the messages, and the response was 2 minutes after I sent it.  Astounding.  Remember, this was MN to Seattle.

It was great when I could get all my Technical data from the Internet.  The company  library slowly started to dry up and I could throw my technical manuals away.  

The first time I logged onto AOL and chatted with some Chinese people,  I distinctly remember thinking, "wow.  The world just got very small."

When my company (mil-spec defense manufacturing) got a microfiche,  it blew us away with all the data it put at our fingertips.  We'd surf stuff at lunchtime.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, PNWguy said:

Supervisor at work said the guys upstairs are cracking down on internet usage at work.  My department works 12hr shifts with about maybe 2hrs of actual work time needed.  We are a security team and 90% of our job is monitoring cameras, networks, and international/national internet news sites for issues that may affect our employees and field offices.  We are also on call for PC help and customer tech support.

We have a ton of down time during that shift.  All the younger guys are glued to their phones, which use the company wi-fi, which is monitored.  I just use the work computer to surf gun sites and watch youtube videos.  Supervisor informed us that in this day and age, everything we do online is being monitored and noted.  Big Brother is real.

Not sure what they want us to do for ten hours a night without internet.  May have to start writing again and reading novels.

We're probably in the same age demographic.  If you are working for someone else, whatever extra value you can add over the other guys, may keep you in the game longer.

Why not learn something useful during that time, like another language, programming, etc?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

We're probably in the same age demographic.  If you are working for someone else, whatever extra value you can add over the other guys, may keep you in the game longer.

Why not learn something useful during that time, like another language, programming, etc?

That happened  to me not too long ago. Some network dude complained about my data use. It ended when I explained I had been paying forr my own training for 15 years and I  they wanted to pay for it they could.  Until then I  was going to be the best educated and trained person I can be. 

• Like 2