Glock Drawing - Updated 10-11-17

Eric

Eric,

Thank you for your time and effort to get this site off of the drawing board.  It is much needed!  My biggest wish is for this place to stay TROLL AND PC FREE!  The moderators you choose, must be even handed and able to keep their personal agenda out of the way while enforcing the rules!  ............... a huge mistake over at GT!

That said, I totally understand that there  is a fine line between following the rules, occasionally bumping into/across that line, and  always living on the edge of said rules.  I have searched and I've found no mission statement.   I am of the opinion that this should be prominently displayed when the site is opened.  People will be people and assholes to boot.  The discipline needs to be consistent, not perfect.  No "double secret probation" or doubts that one has crossed that fine line.  As a moderator of a previous car forum we ran into those type of visitors that were obviously there for the sole purpose of disruption of the family.  They appear at every website and can be difficult to eradicate, but this will need to be enforced and controlled  if it is to be successful for the long haul.  

A suggestion that would make me happy is for the advertisers show a little gratitude for the opportunity to display their wares in front of a captive  audience that has chosen to spend their disposable cash on the types of products that they offer.  Many, however, feel that since they supply the cash needed to run the forum, that they can control the narrative by shoving their liberal objectives down our collective throats!  It is killing GT, especially for me.

I consider myself an "Advanced Novice" in most areas of guns.  I wish I could spout off like many, that I've been around guns all of my life, and unfortunately, I haven't.  That said, I've spent the last 5+ years making up for lost time.  I am smitten with the mechanics of firearms mechanisms and spend most of my free time studying and learning about gunsmithing, reloading, trigger mechanisms, generally how guns work and how they differ in their quest to make that little pellet fly out the end of the barrel.  The technical aspects of firearms is incredible. I am here to learn!  I also am dedicated to speaking out against those that want to remove this opportunity for future generations.  

I will support you in any way I can, at least until Political Correctness begins to control the narrative, then like GT, I'll go elsewhere.  Keep the trolls under control by making it blatantly obviously that they won't be tolerated and keep the censors on def-con 29 to allow the "known members" a little slack with an occasional blunder statement that might have swerved across the line a tad.  I don't know if you can control how many screen names any individual can have, but I personally would appreciate being allowed only 1.  What's to stop someone from being banned, but turn around and sign up under a new name, or reactivate a previous one that was set up under the same or different IP address?

As for any drawing, I have never won anything when it comes to raffles, lotteries, drawings,.......etc and I have no fantasy that this will ever change.  At my age, I am content with what I have and what I need or want, I will buy!  While I greatly appreciate the nature/goal of the gesture, it  is not why I and I imagine most of us have migrated over here.  I want some place I can go to visit with other like minded individuals without having to be something that I am not or refrain from occasionally calling BS on someone that is out of line out of fear of "offending their feelings!"

One of my biggest disappointments in my life was my inability to physically qualify for military service.  Speaking of lotteries, when my number came up in 1970, I was like 352 and couldn't even win something that no 19 year old in America even wanted to win! I have been nearly totally deaf since birth and could never be accepted.  I tried three times to enter into the Air Force after dental school to serve and failed the hearing test each time.   Fortunately, for me, I was able to overcome this obstacle and have a very successful dental career in the private sector.   

I wish you great success!

Doc

• Like 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, CalmerThanYou said:

I better come up with 13 more useless posts.....

We would prefer that you come with some meaningful posts and hopefully a lot more than just 13. :crylikeender: The pistol we will be giving away is the beginning of such offers and somewhere between the drawings and such, we are hoping that we end up with a cool community here. Welcome aboard.:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:Eric

• Administrators
1 minute ago, CalmerThanYou said:

Thank You Eric....this is gonna be easy!! :)     Site looks good, I hope to actually have something to offer at some point.

In all the years I've been doing this, I've found that everyone has something to offer. Just hang out and shoot the breeze with folks. Something good always comes of such conversations and I have had some great times. I've met a lot of great people on sites like this. It's funny to have people that you consider real friends that you have never met face to face, or in some cases, even talked to on the phone. Most of the people I call friends today, I met building and running Glock Talk and now this site. Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, O4L said:

I saw your post on TFL and thought I would check this new thing out.

I like what I see so far. :)

I appreciate that. It is a lot of working putting together a new community like this and I have high hopes for the place. I was a bit worried to be launching this site with a new software suite that I had no experience with, but I really liked the look of this software when I found it and I have not been disappointed. This has proven to be a feature-rich software, that has a simple, intuitive interface and it uses a lot less server resources than other software I have used. I am very happy with how its implementation is progressing.

Anyway, I hope you will stick around and watch the place grow. The more the merrier. Starting a site like this from scratch is a great experience. The place can be whatever we make of it and everyone who participates here gets to help steer its course. It is an interesting process to witness and participate in. Welcome aboard. Eric

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Eric said:

This has proven to be a feature-rich software, that has a simple, intuitive interface and it uses a lot less server resources than other software I have used. I am very happy with how its implementation is progressing.

Ah yes, the good old days of fundraisers for upgrades. Very few here can rally appreciate how much you have put into this, sacrificing time, money, and health (once or twice) in the process. I know I don't have the expertise to fully appreciate it, I just know that I've always enjoyed the "other" site and I'm enjoying this one here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 10:44 PM, Eric said:

I should warn you that a holster company has commissioned me to do a series of tastefully nude pictures of myself, wearing only their holster, that will appear in a large number of banner ads throughout the site.

Bulging Boy holster company?

That is quite nice.

I hope someone who really would like to have one wins it.

And I hope they're from Iowa.

And hopefully his forum name starts with a "j".  Specifically lower case "j".

He's a really nice guy, that guy from Iowa.  If I've ever believed in something, it's that the poor bastard really needs to win a gun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Eric unpinned this topic