What Movie Scared You Most?

Eric

The original Friday the 13th. First serious "horror" movie I'd ever seen. I was around 16 years old and my parents were out of town on vacation and I had to walk into that farmhouse all alone. That damn movie made me realize how easy it'd be for somebody to sneak in and be waiting for me. So here I am...a 16 year old punk...clearing my own home with my Rem 870 20 gauge. And I mean I CLEARED it...every damn nook and cranny. Got to my bedroom, closed and locked the door and that shotgun stayed with me all night. 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Burebista said:

American werewolf in Paris

Seriously? The first movie American Werewolf in London was an instant cult classic when it came out. It was a truly outstanding monster flick and I had high hopes when American Werewolf in Paris came out. I was damned disappointed by it though. The only reason they titled it like they did was to whore out the original movie, to try to garner some exposure for that lamentable 'Sequel'. Oh well. I guess they owned the rights to the first one and if they wanted it out on the stroll turning tricks for them, it was their right. It was a shitty thing to do to a very good movie though.

@Burebista, out of curiosity, did you see the original movie? If so, which did you see first and what was your opinion on the original? Just wondering.

I'll be honest... I'm a total wuss when it comes to scary movies... I mean like, hide behind the covers wuss.

The movie that started it all for me, I can't even remember... but I was about 6-7 (@ 26yrs ago).. and my Mom and her best friend went to a drive in to see the movie.. (I don't think it was "new" then, but it could have been).. I was in the back seat as they watched.  Anyway, the scene that absolutely traumatized me forever with scary movies... I remember they were in a snowy area (maybe a mountain type camp?).. and this dog started barking aggressively at someone.. then it kept barking, and all a sudden of its skin began to peel off while it continued to bark aggressively.  That was it for me.  Traumatized for life..

I know that's a vague description, anyone know the name of that movie?

On 9/3/2017 at 11:42 PM, Eric said:

What movie scared you most, when you were a kid? For me, it was probably this 'Documentary' movie about Bigfoot, that came out in 1976 or 1977. Those movies were all the rage, right around that time. I remember watching the movie at a drive-in, at night. The drive-in had a row of seats back by the snack bar, right in front of the edge of a large plot of woods. About halfway through the movie, my dad made to go to the restroom on the side of the snackbar and instead, went into the woods, sneaked up on us, goosed us and yelled. I'm pretty sure my damned heart stopped momentarily. That is the only movie that I can remember ever giving me nightmares, except that time my mother got tired of me causing trouble in the other room and made me sit beside her while she watched Yentl.:Alex: As Marlon Brando once said, "The horror... The horror!":crylikeender:

So, what movie scared you, growing up?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068837/

Is that the one? It used to creep me out when I was a kid. I went down to Fouke once and bought the VHS in a little convenience store/gift shop they've got called Monster Mart.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, KFC said:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068837/

Is that the one? It used to creep me out when I was a kid. I went down to Fouke once and bought the VHS in a little convenience store/gift shop they've got called Monster Mart.

Nah, the movie I mentioned would have been out in 1976 or 1977. That one sounds plenty creepy though. There were a bunch of movies like that, back in the seventies. Remember the TV show Kolchak, Night Stalker? I guess it probably seems a little lame, by today's standards, but when I was a kid, it was a great show.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Eric said:

Nah, the movie I mentioned would have been out in 1976 or 1977. That one sounds plenty creepy though. There were a bunch of movies like that, back in the seventies. Remember the TV show Kolchak, Night Stalker? I guess it probably seems a little lame, by today's standards, but when I was a kid, it was a great show.

I have the DVD set of that short-lived series... It may not register too much on the "scare" factor -- but it's still entertaining as hell! :D

Darren McGavin created one of the great, iconic TV characters... :)

• Like 1

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, Jframe said:

I have the DVD set of that short-lived series... It may not register too much on the "scare" factor -- but it's still entertaining as hell! :D

Darren McGavin created one of the great, iconic TV characters... :)

I love the series and I've always really enjoyed McGavin as an actor. I think I must have seen A Christmas Story somewhere north of 200 times, at this point.

4 minutes ago, Eric said:

I love the series and I've always really enjoyed McGavin as an actor. I think I must have seen A Christmas Story somewhere north of 200 times, at this point.

If you can believe it, I actually saw that movie for the first time this past Christmas -- loved it! :)

I can easily count McGavin among my all-time favorite actors. He could play everything from a tough D.I., to a beaten-down P.I., to a family man in light comedy... B|

• Like 1

when i was a boy, the movie "the Pit and the Pendulum" played at the outdoor theater.

went with my parents and my brothers.

there was a scene where someone was exhumed, and found to have been buried alive.

that thought terrified me to the point that i will be cremated rather than buried.

that movie probably was around in the very early 60's.

as an adult, went with my then wife, my brother and sister in law to see "the Exorcist" in the theater.

after the show, we went to my brothers home for beer and some cards.

played in his basement family room.

had to eliminate some of that "rented" beer. only bathroom on his second floor.

as i stood there doing my duty in the dark, i realized i was looking over my shoulder!

LMAO, and went back to the card game.

As a kid, Saturday morning creature-feature, on a program called The Unknown. The first film showed was X The Unknown.  Black and white, some gelatinous crap oozing out of the ground, scared me to death!  Few movies have affected me since then, I'm just not into 'scary' movies.  Took the wife and daughter to see the original SCREAM, they did in the appropriate places, but I was bored to death.  While I loved early Stephen King books, they do not translate to the screen well.  The dog attacking the Pinto in CUJO was intense.  THE SHINING was intense.  I guess the stuff I've seen in real life just kind of eclipsed the make believe stuff.  45 plus years on the job as a cop and ambulance EMT.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Someday said:

I was never into the scary movies as a kid, but I did see It - never saw a clown the same way again!

That was a great book, but they did a terrible job on the movie, IMO. I am hoping they did a better job on the version of the movie, coming out this month.

Just now, Eric said:

That was a great book, but they did a terrible job on the movie, IMO. I am hoping they did a better job on the version of the movie, coming out this month.

They are doing a remake? Most books are MUCH better than the movies. Books leave more to the imagination and there are more plot threads that you can work with. Having said that, the only one I read was Pet Sematary - good book, but I never saw the movie.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Someday said:

They are doing a remake? Most books are MUCH better than the movies. Books leave more to the imagination and there are more plot threads that you can work with. Having said that, the only one I read was Pet Sematary - good book, but I never saw the movie.

Yeah. I think it comes out this week.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Someday said:

BTW, once in a while, they take one of SK's novels and knock it out of the park, with the movie version. The Shining was such a movie. So was Green Mile. There were others that weren't as successful, but that I really liked, like Silver Bullet, Christine and Fire Starter. I haven't seen The Gunslinger. I'm hoping it is a good flick. I really couldn't get into the books.