• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pipedreams

• ChuteTheMall

• Swampfox762

• Schmidt Meister

22 hours ago, Dric902 said:

You must not be very old

I was in 5th grade when Reagan was shot, but the damage he did to the 2A has screwed me every day since I was old enough to own guns. I am at the point in life where I can afford nice guns but thanks to Reagan it is illegal. That as I said unless you are a Fudd should be a problem I do not want to see repeated by another President.

The Brady Bill was in ‘93 (Clinton) and the Clinton AWB (that Bill Barr was all for)

Reagan signed the Firearm Owners Protection Act in ‘86

Firearm Owners Protection Act 

The lone piece of significant legislation related to gun rights during the Reagan administration was the Firearm Owners Protection Act of 1986. Signed into law by Reagan on May 19, 1986, the legislation amended the Gun Control Act of 1968 by repealing parts of the original act that were deemed by studies to be unconstitutional.

The National Rifle Association and other pro-gun groups lobbied for passage of the legislation, and it was generally considered favorable for gun owners. Among other things, the act made it easier to transport long rifles across the United States, ended federal records-keeping on ammunition sales and prohibited the prosecution of someone passing through areas with strict gun control with firearms in their vehicle, so long as the gun was properly stored.

However, the act also contained a provision banning the ownership of any fully automatic firearms not registered by May 19, 1986. That provision was slipped into the legislation as an 11th-hour amendment by Rep. William J. Hughes, a New Jersey Democrat.

Reagan has been criticized by some gun owners for signing legislation containing the Hughes amendment.

The Clinton AWB came and went, unlike damage caused by Reagan which is still causing problems for gun owners today. The brady bill to my knowledge isn't hampering me at all today. Reagan will be criticized by all gun owners that are not Fudds.

The Pro-Gun Candidate 

Ronald Reagan entered the 1980 presidential campaign as a known supporter of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

While gun rights wouldn’t be a primary issue in presidential politics for another decade, the issue was being pushed to the forefront of the American political scene by those, as Reagan wrote in a 1975 issue of Guns & Ammo magazine, “who say that gun control is an idea whose time has come.”

The Gun Control Act of 1968 was still a relatively fresh issue, and U.S. Attorney General Edward H. Levi had proposed outlawing guns in areas with high crime rates.

In his Guns & Ammo column, Reagan left little doubt about his stance on the Second Amendment, writing: “In my opinion, proposals to outlaw or confiscate guns are simply unrealistic panacea.”

Reagan’s stance was that violent crime would never be eliminated, with or without gun control. Instead, he said, efforts to curb crime should target those who misuse guns, similar to the way laws target those who use an automobile feloniously or recklessly.

Saying the Second Amendment “leaves little, if any, leeway for the gun control advocate,” he added that “the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive

He damn sure lied about that didn't he?

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The Clinton AWB came and went, unlike damage caused by Reagan which is still causing problems for gun owners today. The brady bill to my knowledge isn't hampering me at all today. Reagan will be criticized by all gun owners that are not Fudds.

The National Rifle Association and other pro-gun groups lobbied for passage of the legislation, and it was generally considered favorable for gun owners. Among other things, the act made it easier to transport long rifles across the United States, ended federal records-keeping on ammunition sales and prohibited the prosecution of someone passing through areas with strict gun control with firearms in their vehicle, so long as the gun was properly stored.

perhaps your argument is with Hughes and Congress for adding it.