Anyone else ever build a Flintlock before?

Mr. Black

I could have done a full boat build thread on this but I just don't have the time to cover about 20 different forums worth of activity.   

Cutting straight to the chase.  I just finished this project for my father.     It's a Jim Chambers pistol kit.     Fully swamped barrel.  45cal.    He will be using it to shoot competitively in in Rendezvous matches.  

Probably have about 60-75 hours into it.   

If there's any interest in it, I can post all the pictures leading up to it's finishing.    I even thought about doing my first YouTube build but there was just no way I'd have the time or patience for that.    

Chambers3.jpg

Chambers4.jpg

Chambers5.jpg

Chambers7.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful piece but I just do not know how they could ever have been accurate with them.

More info would indeed be nice. I am not into them but knowing what it took would be very interesting, thank you!

Always nice to see someone with skill create/build something.

• Like 1

Approximately 7 months in the making.     I think my old man said the initial cost was around 700 with some higher end options.    All american parts and none of the italian or turkish parts.   

There are shops in the country that specialize in building these for customers.  This one probably would have been 1500ish to turnkey it.   

Edited by Mr. Black

Mr. Black

One of the most nerve racking things for me was drilling the tang bolt.  On the trade gun it runs upside down, and goes in at an angle from the trigger guard up through the tang.  I put it in a jig and must have looked at it and measured it for at least an hour before running the bit from the drill press.  If I ran it off center, I was screwed.  Fortunately it worked out.  I used Laurel Mt. Forge Browning solution for the barrel, lock, trigger guard and butt plate.  I had a rainy Indiana spring weekend to do the browning, running the solution then carding it before hanging the barrel just outside my garage. 

Track of the Wolf was very helpful.  They sell you components, the barrel is 90% inlet, as well as the lock,  and they do the difficult stuff like drilling the ramrod hole.  Otherwise they do not send any directions with the components, you need to read up on how the work is done or have someone with experience show you what to do. 

Edited by norton
  • Like 1

Norton, if you ever build another one check out this center to center drill guide sold by RE Davis Company.     

https://www.redaviscompany.com/0883.html

It works absolutely fantastic for drilling precise holes through large parts of the gun from point A to point B.     

I used this for all the hole for pinning the barrel and pinning the ram rod thimbles to the stock.  I also used it for the tang screw and the lock screws.   

This kit was a life saver and worth every penny.     

We took her out for her maiden firing today and it was an absolute joy to shoot.  It was my first time ever firing a flintlock.    So much fun.     

I'll see if the old lady got some video worth uploading.   

I’ve always wanted to build a Pennsylvania flintlock, and came close to buying a kit recently. 

However, I follow Mike Beliveau on YouTube, and watching him convinced me I don’t have the wood working skills or tools needed to do it successfully. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Collim1 said:

I’ve always wanted to build a Pennsylvania flintlock, and came close to buying a kit recently. 

However, I follow Mike Bellivieu on YouTube, and watching his builds convinced me I don’t have the wood working skills or tools needed to do it successfully. 

I too subscribe to Mike Beliveau's channel.    Learned a lot on how to and how not to do things watching some of his builds.   He's a good guy.   

• Like 1

Here is a few stills of the maiden firing.    Yes, I know they are normally fired one handed but I had no idea what to expect lol.      

And my son shooting grandpas match rifle.    He shot a 1.5" three shot group off hand at 25 yards with round balls.   That's better than I could ever do.  

19509.jpeg

19513.jpeg

19515.jpeg

19519.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Black said:

I too subscribe to Mike Beliveau's channel.    Learned a lot on how to and how not to do things watching some of his builds.   He's a good guy.   

I’d love to spend the day at the range with him, and a few hours in his shop.  One could learn a lot from him. 

Edited by Collim1
  • Like 1

Thank you very much Historian.     My dad said that he paid an extra 200 DOLLARS for that piece of wood to get that look.    I thought he was crazy at first but it really is desirable for those that are into these things.   The moment the custom stock oil went over the stain it immediately popped the grain highlights out.     I am 99% sure my dad said that is Curly Maple?  

On 8/21/2018 at 12:09 AM, Mr. Black said:

Thank you very much Historian.     My dad said that he paid an extra 200 DOLLARS for that piece of wood to get that look.    I thought he was crazy at first but it really is desirable for those that are into these things.   The moment the custom stock oil went over the stain it immediately popped the grain highlights out.     I am 99% sure my dad said that is Curly Maple?  

Why thanks the the reply! Yeah...there's wood and there is wood and that is as fine a looking pistol as anyone could want in history.   My guess is that is a curley maple and you simple released the natural grain.

There are smoking  pipes made of this wood that sell for a thousand dollars or more. Desks that are works of art.

For those interested I have long admired the work of Blackhart Long Arms.

You made me want.to build a pistol. :)

Edited by Historian
  • Like 1

I built a flintlock pistol about 47 years ago when I was a fairly young man. It started out as a kit, but I quickly decided that the stock was a complete twisted up fiasco. I made a new stock from scratch out of walnut, and made all the other parts from scratch, save the lock. I never blued or browned the barrel, and after all this time it has a brownish rusty look. Only shot it a few times in all these years, using some 3F and a .440 round ball with a patch and lube. The cheapo Spanish lock was never a good sparker, so it became a wall hanger. I still have it hiding someplace so I will dig it out and try and get a photo or two.

• Like 1