Anyone else ever build a Flintlock before?

Mr. Black

Over the years I have found a couple of things out about flintlocks.  #1, if you are not getting instant ignition-not the woosh, 2 heartbeats and then bang-you might not be loading the pan correctly.  I own a T/C hawken flintlock and it came with instructions that say to pour pan powder into the flash hole.  You don't want to do that.  You want the powder in the pan to flashover and go into the touch hole then ignite the powder in the barrel.  Keep the powder away from the touch hole opening.  Also make sure you have a good sharp flint.  A good strong  lock is also key.

Do not use synthetic black powder, like pyrodex or Triple 7.  You need to use real black powder.  In a pinch you can pour a small charge of real black into the barrel-5 to 10 grains-then top off with a synthetic to the normal powder load.  This works sometimes. 

Also on a long barrel-like my trade gun-you need to keep a steady hold on the gun after firing, cause it takes a long time for the ball to exit the barrel compared to smokeless powder.  The barrel on my trade gun is 48" long. 

Not much more satisfying at the range then a cool fall morning, the boom and smoke rolling out of your firelock and a shot that actually lands near where you were aiming. 

• Like 1