How About an Off Roading Jeep Pic Thread...

deputy tom

Setting aside all the he-man off-roading stuff, I'd think a Jeep with an automatic would be the perfect urban cruiser for places like D.C. The roads and traffic are so bad here, something that can handle the destroyed tarmac and sit comfortably in traffic would be perfect.

Image result for 2019 jeep wrangler

• Like 2

Speaking of rough streets.  I drove a full size 4X4 to commute since I lived about 30 miles from work and I traversed country roads, and city streets of both the main cities in my state to get to work.

One year was particularly bad for chuckholes and potholes on almost every street on my route through both cities.  

At times the shaking and vibration was really worrisome.  It was a relief when the steering wheel quit shaking after a long drive.

That same year, I was looking for a peculiar rattle that suddenly showed up.  I found that the shaking, pothole impacts, and constant vibrations had work hardened, cracked, and broken every sheet metal joint around the radiator saddle, and the radiator was completely loose.  The radiator hoses were stopping the radiator from moving towards the fan blades.

City streets in bad condition can cause problems you never thought of.  Be careful. 

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, deputy tom said:

Most of the Jeeps you see around here never see off road use but winters here can be difficult. We have some of the steepest streets in the country. tom.

I will say that driving a 4X4 during severe Winter and Summer weather was the smartest thing I did.  If you can afford the gas, they gave you at least some security.  I used to tell the people I worked with that, "I wouldn't be the first to work, but I would always get to work".  As it turned out, I generally was among the first to work too.

During our first gas crises, my state ruled that you couldn't top off your gas tank, but you could fill it with more than a certain amount of gallons.

My truck had a 36 gallon tank, so when I topped it off, I took as much gas as a car filling the tank.  If you had the money, there was always gas to be had.  I had no problem finding gas in the worst of times.

People finally realized that you could buy a big gas guzzler car for pennies on the dollar during that time, so they saved so much on the cost of the commuter car that they could afford the gas for it. 

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I will say that driving a 4X4 during severe Winter and Summer weather was the smartest thing I did.  If you can afford the gas, they gave you at least some security.  I used to tell the people I worked with that, "I wouldn't be the first to work, but I would always get to work".  As it turned out, I generally was among the first to work too.

During our first gas crises, my state ruled that you couldn't top off your gas tank, but you could fill it with more than a certain amount of gallons.

My truck had a 36 gallon tank, so when I topped it off, I took as much gas as a car filling the tank.  If you had the money, there was always gas to be had.  I had no problem finding gas in the worst of times.

People finally realized that you could by a big gas guzzler car for pennies on the dollar during that time, so they saved so much on the cost of the commuter car that they could afford the gas for it. 

Every vehicle in our entire family except one are 4WD. The 2WD compact is my son's for his long drives to and from work (130 miles round trip). tom. :cowboy2:

• Thanks 1

Just now, deputy tom said:

Every vehicle in our entire family except one are 4WD. The 2WD compact is my son's for his long drives to and from work (130 miles round trip). tom. :cowboy2:

Life is nothing but choices.  You can choose to have the ability to travel in even the worst of times, or you can choose to minimize the amount of fuel used.  Both are valid choices.

• Like 1