Army's new machine gun will blast like battle tanks (per the article)

SC Tiger

The army is working on a new machine gun that will "blast like an M1 battle tank".  At least so the article says.  

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/07/19/armys-new-machine-gun-will-blast-like-battle-tanks.html

Here's the kicker - they are basing this claim on the fact that the chamber pressure of the new weapon will be around 80,000 PSI.  Which is a lot.  This is (per the article) about what an M1 Abrams produces.

But before we go all Ga-ga on this lettuce remember that there are several rifles out there with chamber pressures not that far off.  The .223 is at about 55,000, the .308 Winchester at about 65,000 based on SAAMI specs.  Handloads probably get higher.  I've heard of 45,000 from a .44 Magnum.

Still - looks like it should be a helluva weapon.

Edited by SC Tiger

6 minutes ago, Dric902 said:

Badly written, army journalists aren’t grunts

Nothing about the ammo which is the point of the new system

I suspect they aren't far enough along to disclose much about the ammo.  Though that would make me question how they know case pressures.

Probably just a snippet from some marketing department.  I don't think case pressure 100% translates into power, as there are other factors.  That said, case pressure is probably near the top.

Edited by SC Tiger

23 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I suspect they aren't far enough along to disclose much about the ammo.  Though that would make me question how they know case pressures.

Probably just a snippet from some marketing department.  I don't think case pressure 100% translates into power, as there are other factors.  That said, case pressure is probably near the top.

Based on the other article I saw, it seems like they are still in the "thinking" phase. The military knows what they want and tasked 5 companies with coming up with prototypes.

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

"Literally puts the power of a main battle tank in the soldier's hand." No ****.

Allison Berry's little video was so badly informed and presented it was painful to watch. I'd prefer if she'd go make videos for the antis.

Those aren't the videos I want of her.