Any inventors on the site?

XSIV4S

I've built and sold a few products over the years and I'm about to launch several more (Nothing particularly important). I'm aware of at least one patent holder on the sit, but who else out there has built things to take to market or come up with a new gadget?

IMG_3819.JPG

PICT0004.JPG

SPIKE.jpg

IMG_1091.JPG

7 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

I am slowly working on a few.  Nothing at a stage where I can take pics though.  Mostly stuff for trailers.

Potential jack-knife indicators for novice trailer owners might be useful. They already have the bumper sensors that show when a vehicle is within 8-10 feet of you, if the sensor could show an object within one foot and was mounted on the front edges of the trailer or bumper mount RV, the driver would know when he is about to cause damage to his vehicle and / or trailer.

Nobody? Here's another one I did a few years back. The diameter of all the newer Sten guns that use earlier parts kits are sloppy because they use 17 gauge instead of 16 gauge steel (The outer diameter is right but the inner diameter is too much due to the thinner walled steel). I had an engineer redesign the prints available on the 7 Stens and allow for metal stretch so that they could be made as flats and rolled. Then you do a few spot welds like the originals.

IMG_7974.JPG

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, XSIV4S said:

I've built and sold a few products over the years and I'm about to launch several more (Nothing particularly important). I'm aware of at least one patent holder on the sit, but who else out there has built things to take to market or come up with a new gadget? 

Nothing with a patent yet. I talked to Taser International in 2014 about an idea but they didn't do anything with it. 

I do projects at work if I have any spare time. I designed a new process and piece of equipment last year. My last 4 projects add up to over $1,000,000.00 in annual savings for the company. I am an ISO14001 auditor and have cut our landfill waste by 67 tons per year. I am working on design for a calibration gage  for some of our equipment that could turn into a gage that could be used in many industries.

When I can find some spare time I need to make a working prototype of my biggest Idea. If it works and can be patented, I will be able to retire.

47 minutes ago, Ghost RiderXB9R said:

Nothing with a patent yet. I talked to Taser International in 2014 about an idea but they didn't do anything with it. 

I do projects at work if I have any spare time. I designed a new process and piece of equipment last year. My last 4 projects add up to over $1,000,000.00 in annual savings for the company. I am an ISO14001 auditor and have cut our landfill waste by 67 tons per year. I am working on design for a calibration gage  for some of our equipment that could turn into a gage that could be used in many industries.

When I can find some spare time I need to make a working prototype of my biggest Idea. If it works and can be patented, I will be able to retire.

I really am surprised Taser hasn't branched out more? When they last held the Shotshow in Florida I had lunch with a senior engineer of their's and he went into great detail about the new Shotgun shell taser they had developed and then took me back to the booth to show me some of the material they had on it. There was a time at least, that they seemed to be thinking outside the box.

You job sound more in line with what my uncle used to do. He worked for Cryovac plastics and helped get them into the computer age. Their Iowa Park facility was running three shifts and couldn't keep up with demand, but as he updated machines to have switch and computer controlled tolerances there was a lot less waste and a lot more production.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueiron said:

The Taser shotshell was grossly overpriced compared to small diameter lead shot sewn into a Kevlar bag and fired from a 12 gauge shell. The only people with the money for that sort of product was the Feds and even they balked. 

To be able to use a Taser at 50+ yards has it's uses. Unlike the handheld one, the electric shock lasted for 20 seconds instead of 5 seconds (If I remember right). With the handheld you can repeatedly hit the trigger and light the suspect up for several more seconds, whereas the shotgun shell only had one chance (Hence the longer shock time). I'm a big fan of bean bags, rubber bullets or anything else that gives some dirtbag a bad day, but being able to lock up someones muscles for nearly half a minute might just have some uses.

I've always felt a deep need to invent things.  When I was a youth and completely incapable of taking an idea to market, I had a lot of "great idea" moments, only to be crushed to find out that it had already been invented or was taken to market later.   And when I was older and discovered just what was involved in patenting and selling a product, it drained a lot of enthusiasm.  Even if you invent the greatest, most desirable product in the world (and most inventions are not that), most people are going to have to seriously hustle to manufacture and market a product, and that's not what I want to do with my time and energy.  

There's a common tale from wanna-be entrepreneurs, "I want to run a business, I just need someone to make the thing for me!"  Yeah, well, where are you @#$%# when I've got a thing I want to make?  I can't fault all those guys.  I did have a good experience with some folks who hired me to be a garage scientist.  Great folks, and one of the most enjoyable jobs of my life... but it wasn't destined to go anywhere.

I channeled my desires into software and business process optimization.  I don't get to point at items for sale and say "I invented that", but it definitely scratches the itch for me.  Depending on the time and provider, if you used mobile data then one of the myriad gears that turn in that process might have been something I did.  I feel good about being a part of that.  Sometimes I think I should focus on something more patentable or marketable, but I enjoy myself nonetheless.  

I've always got a thing I'm working on, though.  Sometimes it's a gadget.  Sometimes it's a process.  I'm getting close to finishing something that I might be able to market on my own that could revolutionize its niche field.  Maybe.  We'll see.

• 2 weeks later...