Minneapolis teen reported for unlicensed hot dog stand gets help from state Health Department

TBO

BC-US-Young-Entrepreneur-Minnesota-IMG-jpg.jpg?w=863
BC-US-Young-Entrepreneur-Minnesota-IMG-jpg1.jpg?fit=620%2C9999px&ssl=1

A  13-year-old Minneapolis entrepreneur, who was reported for operating his hot dog stand without a license, is still in business with the help of the Minnesota Department of Health.

Daniel Huff, the environmental health director for the department, told Minnesota Public Radio that officials decided to assist Jaequan Faulkner in enhancing his business, instead of shutting him down, after receiving the complaint.

Huff said health inspectors pitched in for the $87 permit. The department was excited to help a young man with such drive, he said.

Jaequan began operating with a license on Monday. He works four-hour days at his house on Penn Avenue North, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and spends his free time “thinking about what’s next.”

Huff also contacted the Northside Economic Opportunity Network. The group gave Jaequan some pointers on running a business and keeping his stand clean.

Jaequan said he’s overwhelmed by the support.

“I was actually kinda surprised (because) usually I would have one person at a time help me, but then with so many people coming at once, I’m like, wow, I realized how much people enjoy it,” he said.

Jaequan, who handles 90 percent of his business with the help of his uncle, said he’s planning to get a food cart to move his business around. He said he’s also thinking of donating a portion of his earnings to charities and organizations that assist people with depression.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, F14Scott said:

Not a big fan of the .gov having "lattitude" in the enforcement of regulations. Leads to all kind of mischief.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

I absolutely agree, but most people only have so much walking around money and this is how they chose to spend it. The code was still enforced, they just dipped into their own pockets to make it happen.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, XSIV4S said:

I absolutely agree, but most people only have so much walking around money and this is how they chose to spend it. The code was still enforced, they just dipped into their own pockets to make it happen.

This.∆∆

I won't be crass and say I hope the person who reported this kid has a car accident, but will instead wish this kid all the good luck in the future.

• Like 2

Not a big fan of the .gov having "lattitude" in the enforcement of regulations. Leads to all kind of mischief.

Are you good with:

-nobody gets a warning on traffic violation stops , all get tickets

-speeding tickets written for 1 mph over the limit

• Like 1

Just now, TBO said:

Are you good with:

Nope, do it the old way...Best thing for everybody.

• Like 2

Are you good with:

If the cost of all governmental regulators obeying the letter of the law was LEO's (and courts) being equally inflexible in their enforcement of the laws, I'd gladly take that deal. Littering (cigarette butts and homeless trash areas) and left-lane sitting would be my preferred mandatory enforce ones.

3 hours ago, F14Scott said:

If the cost of all governmental regulators obeying the letter of the law was LEO's (and courts) being equally inflexible in their enforcement of the laws, I'd gladly take that deal. Littering (cigarette butts and homeless trash areas) and left-lane sitting would be my preferred mandatory enforce ones.

I respect you and I respect your opinion, however we disagree on this. :cheers:

• Like 1

I respect you and I respect your opinion, however we disagree on this. cheers.gif

Same same. Ain't America great?

That sort of rigidity might also force our legislators to really consider whether they can write a solid, unambiguous, law, in the first place. Most can't, but passing laws is what they do, so they pass a lot of weak, loophole-filled, unenforceable crap.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

Zombie thread, yes, I know.  But, subtract the City Hall licensing schmuck, it is a positive experience for the kid.  He wants to be an entrepreneur.  Don't extinguish that fire, that is what our country is founded upon.  Free enterprise.  You don't have to buy his dog if you don't want to.  I think that is where Trump actually stated it best, that he wanted to stop needless inhibitors against capitalism and being industrious.  My son, will more than likely join the military.  He has the same zeal, he just hasn't discovered the widget that everyone will want yet.  My son is all about capitalism, innately, since he was little.  I would often have to intervene when he was trying to rip off his younger more naïve sister.  I told him, cheating people doesn't bring you business, it kills it.  At least he was thinking,  He just forgot there are morals and ethics that go along with good business practice.  If you sell someone some bull crap, they find out it is bull crap, there is no repeat business, and you will probably be out of business. 

I had a similar streak as a skinny kid.  My father was military so we moved from place to place.  He managed to move to the sketchy part Tucson when I rode by bike to school.  Back then you got the hell beat out of the way as some people would try to kill you for sport.  And when your are the little skinny kid, the only thing you can do is pedal faster, or run faster than the bigger guys.  Alleys were a guaranteed death trap.  But, one of the teachers in this shithole school decided to take it upon themselves to teach capitalism.  You had to earn imaginary currency and earn a prize at the end.  Well, the thing I realized right away were these were all fake pieces of papers that looked like some scribbled currency.  So, I surveyed the situation, that these fragile pieces of paper had no place to go.  So, I started making far more durable paper wallets.  They were going like hotcakes and I was making money hand over fist.  

Again, being the little skinny kid, the school that may as well been a prison, with people who repeated enough grades to be huge and were bullies.  So, what was the logical thing to do?  I pulled a Ray Reddington card and hired the big guys as body guards.  So, when someone would try to get a piece of me, or rip me off, that is what they were there for.  They took care guard duty work effectively.  Well, my little pseudo-criminal enterprise was ratted out, and I was sent to the Principal who wanted to know why I was hiring security.  He arrogantly proclaimed, he as the school government was my protector.  He didn't appreciate it, when I questioned how he was doing that sitting in his office all day.  

The morale to this long story, was a I was doing great as a capitalist, and I kept the other bullies and thieves at bay with the power of capitalism, and the government came along and screwed the pooch on the whole enterprise, and fined me to boot.  

So, yes, we have to have a government that provides services through taxes, but they shouldn't be there to **** on the honest businessman, and tie his hands.

Kudos to the kid and his hotdogs, and I agree with Gun Owner on this issue.  

• Like 2