Dramatic Pictures

Eric

13 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Is the station still producing electricity? What move(d) the generators - water or steam? Was it producing AC or DC? If DC has it been converted to AC?

"Now that the plant is no longer in active use, the current owners occasionally open the doors to the space for pedestrian tours. All of the old machinery is still intact and visitors can see the hundred year old turbines, as well as the control room with its retro-styled banks of dust-covered dials, gauges, and buttons. The centerpiece of the plant however is the large Art Deco glass ceiling in the control room which gives the entire site an oddly classy feel."

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/kelenfold-power-station

• Thanks 1

NASA Astronomy Picture of the day

This double take-inducing picture was captured on 2019 December 24, two days before the Moon slid in front of the Sun to create a solar eclipse. In the foreground, lights from small Guatemalan towns are visible behind the huge volcano Pacaya.

748ec586fe3e54ab.jpg?1584337469

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, janice6 said:

I believe that many people don't appreciate the actual size of that bird!

How true, you have to get a good up close view to appreciate their size, wingspan 6 to 8 feet and average weight around 12 pounds.   Another bird is the American white pelican, it has a 10 ft wingspan and weight approx. 30 pounds.  First time I saw a flock soaring high overhead I didn't realize their size till I saw them come in to land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, pipedreams said:

How true, you have to get a good up close view to appreciate their size, wingspan 6 to 8 feet and average weight around 12 pounds.   Another bird is the American white pelican, it has a 10 ft wingspan and weight approx. 30 pounds.  First time I saw a flock soaring high overhead I didn't realize their size till I saw them come in to land.

I was on a dirt road up in Northern MN and an Eagle made a power dive for supper right straight down through the woods area and brush.  It broke small limbs off the trees going down, and flew back up out of that brush like it was nothing.  While on vacation we sit by the lake and watch the Eagles going about their business.  It's a wonderful bird and a great symbol..

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

• Eric featured this topic